Lance Armstrong’s lifetime ban could be reduced

Jan 23, 2014, 6:30 AM EDT

Lance Armstrong Reuters

“There will be the possibility of a reduction” of Lance Armstrong‘s ban if he assists in doping investigations, the International Cycling Union (UCI) president said Thursday.

“It all depends on what information Lance has and what he’s able to reveal,” UCI president Brian Cookson said, according to The Associated Press. “Actually that’s not going to be in my hands. He’s been sanctioned by USADA.”

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) banned Armstrong for life in 2012 and would have to be the organization to approve scaling it back in the event Armstrong provides new information about doping cases.

“[USADA] would have to agree to any reduction in his sanction based on the validity and strength of the information that he provided,” Cookson said. “If they’re happy, if WADA are happy, then I will be happy.”

However, Cookson said he won’t be calling Armstrong.

“I am deliberately not speaking to anyone involved,” he said, according to VeloNews. “That’s the job of the [UCI’s independent] commission. Lance Armstrong will be able to contact them, just the same as everyone else.

“I am aware that Armstrong is keen to contribute, but I’ve kept one step backward from the process. I don’t want to be seen as interfering in any way.”

Armstrong has said he could be open to testifying with “100 percent transparency and honesty,” if he’s treated fairly compared to others from cycling’s doping era.

“If everyone gets the death penalty, then I’ll take the death penalty,” he told the BBC in November. “If everyone gets a free pass, I’m happy to take a free pass. If everyone gets six months, then I’ll take my six months.”

Lance Armstrong bought race win, Italian cyclist says

1. doctorrustbelt - Jan 23, 2014 at 10:37 AM

F lance armstrong.

2. spitfisher - Jan 23, 2014 at 2:17 PM

screw him, Tell Lance you’ll reduce everything, get all the information you can. then tell him you were lying all about it….Just like he was!

3. brownstem - Jan 23, 2014 at 5:08 PM

What difference does it make if his ban is reduced or not? All the guy can do at his age is compete in 2nd and 3rd tier events that nobody cares about (or be a fringe triathlete). Might as well tell Pete Rose he’s welcome to resume a career playing baseball.

4. seanb20124 - Jan 23, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Frees him up for masters completions

• brownstem - Jan 23, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Right. But that’s what I meant. No offense to anyone, but a masters event isn’t exactly the Tour, and few care other than the competitors themselves.

5. cspsrbums - Jan 25, 2014 at 12:10 AM

He only did what everyone else does

6. rickjp62 - Apr 17, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Lance could not return to cycling, as a competitor, even if he had never doped. The best he can possibly do at this point, and not as a competitor, would be a team coach, or race director. Rumor has it he’s working as a bike mechanic.

So the guy lied and lied and lied, and finally confessed. What’s the big deal? Cycling has been how he’s earned a living for most of his life. If he has anything to contribute to a clean sport, why not give him a second chance? I’m willing to bet that, like me, there have been many other guys who have done wrong to our women, begged for a second chance, cleaned up our act and have gotten one. So what makes what Lance is doing any different?