Jan 22, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
If Lindsey Vonn and Tiger Woods are going to share an Olympic experience together, the first chance might be at golf’s debut at the 2016 Rio Games.
Woods was asked about Vonn ending her bid for Sochi at the Farmers Insurance Open on Wednesday.
He had planned on supporting Vonn’s journey toward her third Olympics, but only watched her ski competitively once in person, in Val d’Isere, France, in December, where she skied out citing her troublesome right knee. Vonn announced three weeks later she would need season-ending surgery on the knee.
“I’ve been through it, only a slightly different version,” Woods said, according to USA Today. “I’ve never had to do it twice like this, a total reconstruction of the ACL and having been shut down for such long periods of time. … I only had to shut down a couple months. … But to do it again, it’s tough.”
Woods’ legacy is often talked about, with his pursuit of Jack Nicklaus‘ record 18 majors. He’s currently at 14. On Wednesday, Woods discussed Vonn’s legacy.
“The fact that she already has a gold medal and no one can ever take it away from her,” Woods said, “whether she competes this year or competes four years from now.”
- Katie Ledecky would qualify for Olympic Trials in men’s events 0
- Kosuke Hagino: I’m trying to become like Michael Phelps 0
- Poland wins World Volleyball Championship at home, pandemonium (photos, videos) 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross complete perfect AVP season after wardrobe malfunction 0
- Katie Ledecky wins USA Swimming Athlete of the Year; who are World Swimmers of the Year? 0
- Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months 0
- Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)