Jan 22, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT
“Shaun White: Russia Calling,” a documentary about the snowboarder’s preparation for the Sochi Olympics, will air on NBC on Saturday at 8 p.m. ET.
In the hour-long show, White is seen practicing new tricks, including this attention-grabbing moment described by The Associated Press:
Practicing a trick nobody has ever attempted in a halfpipe, White’s board gets caught up on the lip. His head and neck whiplash violently against the top of the pipe. Helmet and goggles go flying and White lands with a thud on the bottom, 22 feet below.
The trick was a triple cork, one White won’t try at the Olympics, according to the AP. White will attempt to win his third straight Olympic title in the halfpipe in Sochi as well as compete in the first Olympic slopestyle competition.
“A lot of the footage you’re seeing is me trying to break down a barrier in my own head and my mindset to get this done,” White said, according to the AP. “It doesn’t work that easily sometimes. This is the real story of what’s going on and what happens to athletes.”
The documentary also follows White through training, including submerging into cold lakes to combat swelling, his charity work and his time with his band, Bad Things, whose debut album was released Tuesday.
- Los Angeles’ ties to the Olympics 1
- Five events to watch at Zurich Diamond League 0
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid is official 1
- Top ten storylines from World Track and Field Championships 0
- USOC, Los Angeles agree to 2024 Olympic bid, reports say 1
- U.S. finishes World Championships with fewest medals since 2003 3
- Usain Bolt anchors Jamaica to 4x100m relay gold after U.S. mishap 8
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (62)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)