Jan 21, 2014, 9:08 PM EST
Tucker Fredricks is going to his third and likely final Olympics, but his family won’t be.
The speed skater asked his wife and parents not to travel to Sochi to watch him because of security concerns, according to the Janesville (Wis.) Gazette.
“Tucker said he doesn’t want to worry about us or about security,” his father, Dan, told the newspaper.
Fredricks, 29, qualified to race the 500m in Sochi. He was 25th in the event at the 2006 Olympics and 12th in 2010.
His parents attended both prior Olympics. His wife is two-time Japanese Olympic speed skater Eriko Seo.
“We don’t want to be a distraction,” his dad said. “The Olympics are all about him, not about us. He needs to concentrate, and if us being there is going to affect him, then we won’t go.”
Recent security concerns caused the U.S. State Department to issue a travel alert to Russia earlier this month.
- South Korean Olympic swim champ Park Tae-hwan fails drug test 0
- Jason Brown wins first U.S. figure skating title 2
- Lindsey Vonn wins final race before World Championships (video) 0
- Ashley Wagner shatters records for third U.S. figure skating title 3
- Chloe Kim wins Winter X Games halfpipe at age 14 0
- Lindsey Vonn struggles in St. Moritz downhill (video) 0
- Jason Brown leads U.S. short program; quad debate stoked 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)