Jan 19, 2014, 12:59 AM EDT
The U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association nominated 11 athletes to the Olympic Team in ski halfpipe and ski slopestyle on Saturday night.
Here’s the list:
Men’s Ski Halfpipe
Aaron Blunck — 2012 Youth Olympics bronze medalist
David Wise — 2012, 2013 Winter X Games champion, 2013 World Champion
Women’s Ski Halfpipe
Maddie Bowman — 2013 Winter X Games champion, 2012 Winter X Games silver medalist
Brita Sigourney — 2011 Winter X Games silver medalist, 2012 Winter X Games bronze medalist
Men’s Ski Slopestyle
Bobby Brown — 2010 Winter X Games champion
Nick Goepper — 2013 Winter X Games champion, 2012 Winter X Games silver medalist, 2013 World Championships bronze medalist
Women’s Ski Slopestyle
Keri Herman — 2010, 2011 Winter X Games silver medalist, 2011 World Championships bronze medalist
Devin Logan — 2012 Winter X Games silver medalist
As many as five more athletes could be named to the Olympic Team in those events next week via discretionary selections. The number is not definite due to the maximum Olympic team size for freestyle skiing.
A nation can’t send more than 26 freestyle skiers to the Olympics across all disciplines — aerials, moguls, ski cross, ski halfpipe and ski slopestyle — even though it could qualify up to 40 Olympic freestyle skiing spots (four per gender per event).
As of Friday, the U.S. had qualified 34 freestyle skiing quota spots — four men and women each in aerials, moguls, ski halfpipe and ski slopestyle, two men in skicross and zero women in skicross. If it stays that way, the U.S. will not be able to fill eight of those spots.
- Oslo withdraws 2022 Olympic bid after ‘no’ vote 0
- Justin Gatlin eyes more 200s after undefeated season 0
- Michael Phelps arrested on DUI charges 3
- Lauryn Williams ‘playing with the idea’ of bobsled this season 1
- Lindsey Vonn set for first skiing in 10 months, named 2016 Youth Olympics ambassador 0
- Talk of a sub-two-hour marathon 2
- Dennis Kimetto breaks world record at Berlin Marathon (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)