Jan 18, 2014, 10:28 PM EST
Lyman Currier and Aaron Blunck became the last two halfpipe skiers to earn automatic berths on the U.S. Olympic Team on Saturday.
Currier won the fifth and final Olympic selection event in Park City, Utah, completing a final weekend surge to earn his spot in Sochi. He scored 92.6 points in the first of two runs.
Currier, 19, had not been better than the third American finisher over the first three selection events but posted his two best results the last two nights. His Twitter handle is @urmotherlovesme.
Blunck was second to Currier with 92 points, following second- and first-place finishes in the first two selection events in December.
Blunck, 17, was the only U.S. freestyle skier to win a medal at the first Youth Winter Olympics in Innsbruck, Austria, in 2012. He won bronze in ski halfpipe.
They join David Wise on the U.S. Olympic Team in ski halfpipe. Wise, 23 and a married father from Reno, Nev., is the reigning X Games and world champion and gold-medal favorite in Sochi.
One more halfpipe skier could be added to the Olympic Team as a discretionary selection next week.
The leading candidates are Gus Kenworthy, who already made the Olympic Team in ski slopestyle, and Alex Ferreira, who won the fourth selection event Friday.
- U.S. aerialists, elementary school classmates, sweep World Cup titles 0
- Michael Phelps may be reinstated for World Championships, report says 0
- David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown 1
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Marcel Hirscher’s historically dominant win just about ends Ted Ligety’s title hopes (video) 0
- Lindsey Vonn lost in the fog in Bansko super combined 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)