Jan 18, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
Lyman Currier and Aaron Blunck became the last two halfpipe skiers to earn automatic berths on the U.S. Olympic Team on Saturday.
Currier won the fifth and final Olympic selection event in Park City, Utah, completing a final weekend surge to earn his spot in Sochi. He scored 92.6 points in the first of two runs.
Currier, 19, had not been better than the third American finisher over the first three selection events but posted his two best results the last two nights. His Twitter handle is @urmotherlovesme.
Blunck was second to Currier with 92 points, following second- and first-place finishes in the first two selection events in December.
Blunck, 17, was the only U.S. freestyle skier to win a medal at the first Youth Winter Olympics in Innsbruck, Austria, in 2012. He won bronze in ski halfpipe.
They join David Wise on the U.S. Olympic Team in ski halfpipe. Wise, 23 and a married father from Reno, Nev., is the reigning X Games and world champion and gold-medal favorite in Sochi.
One more halfpipe skier could be added to the Olympic Team as a discretionary selection next week.
The leading candidates are Gus Kenworthy, who already made the Olympic Team in ski slopestyle, and Alex Ferreira, who won the fourth selection event Friday.
- How to watch Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman’s comeback gymnastics meet 0
- Yuzuru Hanyu tops World Championships short program; Jason Brown leads Americans 0
- U.S. women struggle, trail Russian brilliance after World Championships short program 2
- Canadians win World pairs title; best U.S. finish since 2011 0
- Usain Bolt to race individually in U.S. for first time since 2008 0
- Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir preview World Championships men’s, pairs events 0
- Boston 2024 calls for statewide referendum for Olympic bid 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)