Jan 17, 2014, 8:26 AM EDT
Gracie Gold showed off her juggling talent on “The Tonight Show” on Thursday.
“We’re not up to flamethrowers or knives yet, but we’re getting there,” she told Jay Leno. “Fruit is good.”
Wouldn’t you know it, Leno had a fruit bowl handy. Gold pulled out three lemons, stood up and juggled them flawlessly for about 15 seconds.
Gold and Leno also talked figure skating for a few minutes, five days after Gold, 18, won her first U.S. Championship.
There were the compulsory questions — about her name, how she got into figure skating, how she likes Los Angeles and her twin sister, Carly.
They watched footage of a young Gold skating in a competition.
“How old are you here, about 7 or 8?” Leno asked.
“I’m actually 11,” Gold said. “I had growth troubles.”
Leno asked Gold which country’s fans throw the best gifts on the ice after her skates. Japan, she said.
“Because it’s so personalized,” she said. “I got a box of chocolates with my face on them.”
A healthy eater, the chocolates remain uneaten. Her craziest gift?
“I got a Barbie doll of myself,” she said. “They had to like wedge her into a box. It had my dress, the special earrings, the whole look. It was perfect.”
As for competition, Gold is taking the next three weeks before the Olympics to recharge.
“I’m allowing myself to come down a little bit because we have to go right back up,” Gold said. “So, I’m taking it easy. Easy is a relatively term. Just two hours [of training per day] instead of four.”
- USOC, Los Angeles agree to 2024 Olympic bid, reports say 0
- U.S. finishes World Championships with fewest medals since 2003 3
- Usain Bolt anchors Jamaica to 4x100m relay gold after U.S. mishap 4
- Ashton Eaton breaks decathlon world record, wins World Championship 2
- Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances 0
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt crushes Justin Gatlin in World Championships 200m 5
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (62)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)