Jan 13, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Ryan Lochte is on USA Swimming psych sheets for this weekend’s Grand Prix event in Austin, Texas, which made him eligible to compete for the first time since tearing an MCL in a run-in with a fan on Nov. 2.
But he will not race, according to multiple swim news outlets. Lochte’s first races back will come in Orlando in February, according to Swimming World.
The 11-time Olympic medalist was entered in the 100m and 200m freestyle, 100m butterfly and 200m backstroke in the Austin meet that runs from Friday through Sunday.
Being entered on psych sheets does not mean a swimmer will definitely compete, and in this case Lochte will not be swimming in Austin.
Lochte, 29, tore his left MCL and sprained his ACL after a teenage girl ran to him, he caught her and they both fell on Nov. 2. His knee hit a curb, according to Lochte’s publicist.
He was back training in the pool by Dec. 5, targeting being “back in full swing” after Christmas.
May 23, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Nathan Adrian’s biggest rival in the 100m freestyle could still be an Australian.
May 22, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT
The 2000 Olympic champion continues to struggle with weight loss.
May 22, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT
“We’re not baking cakes.”
May 22, 2015, 9:57 AM EDT
“We want to rebuild the arena of the Colosseum so that the athletes can be lifted in like the gladiators in the Roman times.”
May 22, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT
The U.S. won “Beat the Streets” 9-4.
May 21, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT
Skaters, skiers, gymnasts, track and field athletes and more.
May 21, 2015, 9:18 AM EDT
Russia ceded its place as top challenger to the U.S. in recent Olympics.
May 20, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT
They were a gift from a previous Olympic host city.
May 20, 2015, 3:07 PM EDT
Usain Bolt dropped on the list and is no longer the top track and field athlete.
May 20, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT
Markus Rehm jumped another personal best on Saturday, moving up the list of top active jumpers.
May 20, 2015, 1:09 PM EDT
Letterman had a special correspondent at the 1994 and 1998 Winter Olympics.
May 20, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
The Olympic silver medalist has been off the elite competition radar for nearly two years.
May 20, 2015, 11:56 AM EDT
The World champion explained the origin of her design.
May 20, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Gatlin’s agent also called the sprinter “misunderstood.”
May 20, 2015, 8:21 AM EDT
A stopwatch used to time Bannister’s feat was also recently auctioned.
May 19, 2015, 12:41 PM EDT
Seebohm took silver behind Franklin in 2012 and 2013 but was faster last year.
May 19, 2015, 7:47 AM EDT
“They didn’t have any respect for me.”
May 18, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
The 22-time Olympic medalist finished first or second in zero events at a meet for the first time since the Sydney 2000 Olympics.
May 18, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
David Boudia leads the team, while a four-time Olympian just missed.
May 18, 2015, 7:18 AM EDT
The three-time World champion is training again but isn’t definite on competing.
- Rulon Gardner on returning to wrestling training, getting his gold medal back 1
- David Letterman and the Olympics 0
- Caster Semenya: I can’t stop running because of gender controversy 0
- Roger Bannister’s shoes from 4-minute mile set for auction 2
- Justin Gatlin ‘kicked out’ of Beijing track meet 1
- Michael Phelps self-assessment: ‘horrendous,’ ‘garbage’ after winless Charlotte meet 5
- Mao Asada blogs about returning to figure skating 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)