Jan 13, 2014, 10:27 AM EDT
Great Britain may not have much of a Winter Olympics tradition, but the BBC unveiled a powerful trailer for its Sochi coverage.
It brought in English actor Charles Dance, who plays Tywin Lannister in “Game of Thrones.”
The BBC will likely center its coverage on British medal hopes in men’s and women’s curling, skeleton, ski slopestyle and short track speed skating.
Great Britain has not won more than two medals at a Winter Olympics since 1936, but it is expected to surpass that mark in Sochi.
BBC’s trailer tagline, “Nature. Who will conquer it?” follows this foreboding poetic narration (video here) by Dance:
I am the dreadful menace.
The one whose will is done.
The haunting chill upon your neck.
I am the conundrum.
I will summon armies.
Of wind and rain and snow.
I made the black cloud overhead.
The ice, like glass below.
Not you, nor any other.
Can fathom what is nigh.
I will tell you when to jump.
And I’ll dictate how high.
The ones that came before you.
Stood strong and tall and brave.
But I stole their dreams away.
Those dreams could not be saved.
But now you stand before me.
Devoid of all dismay.
Could it be? Just maybe.
I’ll let you have your day.
- Ryan Hall, other U.S. runners wouldn’t help East Africans catch Meb Keflezighi 0
- Emotions flow for runners, spectators at Boston Marathon 0
- Meb Keflezighi stuns to win Boston Marathon (video) 4
- Rita Jeptoo repeats as Boston Marathon winner in course record 0
- Boston Marathon to move forward with traditional spectacle of a finish 0
- Boston Marathon men’s preview 0
- Boston Marathon women’s preview 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (55)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (46)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)