Jan 12, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT
Maddie Bowman and David Wise are the first halfpipe skiers to qualify for a U.S. Olympic Team.
Bowman and Wise won the third of five Olympic selection events in Breckenridge, Colo., on Sunday. Combined with past Olympic selection event results, they mathematically clinched berths in Sochi.
Ski halfpipe is making its Olympic debut this year.
Bowman, 20, is the reigning Winter X Games champion and a gold-medal contender.
“I’ve just been trying to take each competition day by day, not looking at the big ‘O,’ but now that I know I get to compete there so I’m pretty excited,” she said, according to U.S. Freeskiing.
Wise, 23, is the two-time reigning Winter X Games champion and reigning world champion. He lives in Reno, Nev., and is married with a daughter.
“I’ve been saying all along that just qualifying for this super strong American team is almost the harder challenge than actually competing in the Olympics is going to be, so this is a tremendous relief,” Wise said, according to ESPN.com. “Just to get it out of the way and lock in the spot feels amazing. Now the pressure’s off and I don’t have to send it as much, so I can focus on just having fun and figuring out the run I want to bring to Russia.”
The fourth and fifth Olympic selection events will both be in Park City, Utah, this week, concluding next Sunday.
Up to three halfpipe skiers per gender with at least two top-three results in Olympic selection events will clinch Olympic berths. If there are more than three, they go into tiebreaker rankings.
Here are the Olympic selection tiebreaker rankings, only counting those with at least one top-three result, in ski halfpipe through three of five events:
Men’s Ski Halfpipe
1. David Wise — 200 (clinched Olympic berth)
2. Aaron Blunck — 180 (has two top-three results)
3. Gus Kenworthy — 120
4. Lyman Currier — 110
Women’s Ski Halfpipe
1. Maddie Bowman — 200 (clinched Olympic berth)
2. Brita Sigourney — 180 (has two top-three results)
3. Angeli VanLaanen — 130
May 2, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT
Also, Allyson Felix was involved in a collision.
May 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It’s a rematch of the 2013 World Championship final.
May 1, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
The U.S. has dominated opponents so far, but the medal round figures to provide tougher tests.
May 1, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Rhode could become the first Olympian to win medals on five continents.
May 1, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
Bolt and Gatlin could go head to head at the IAAF World Relays this weekend.
Apr 30, 2015, 5:22 PM EDT
She finished radiation on March 31 and is 99 percent confident she’s cancer-free.
Apr 30, 2015, 3:43 PM EDT
“I had prepared my entire life for this one moment and I knew there would not be another opportunity.”
Apr 29, 2015, 3:59 PM EDT
The U.S. is undefeated in three games.
Apr 29, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The U.S. looks to clinch a berth in the semifinals.
Apr 29, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
Chess officials believe the sport may have a better shot to join the Winter Olympics than the Summer Olympics.
Apr 29, 2015, 8:14 AM EDT
Cameras will start following Bolt in May.
Apr 28, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
“My mission in life has never seemed clearer.”
Apr 28, 2015, 10:02 AM EDT
The IOC will also provide assistance to the Himalayan nation.
Apr 28, 2015, 9:42 AM EDT
The U.S. has one more preliminary game left before the medal round.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
The U.S. can move closer to clinching a semifinal berth.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
The five-time Olympic medalist also discussed getting to know Mark Spitz in a Q&A.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:28 PM EDT
Austrian Alpine skiers with eight combined Olympic medals also got hitched.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:17 AM EDT
The U.S. is back on the ice on Monday night on NBC Sports Live Extra.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:45 AM EDT
The 2026 Olympics could be particularly meaningful for ski jumping’s old man.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:29 AM EDT
Lee captured silver medals at the last two Olympics but was stripped of a World Championships medal.
- U.S. holds off Usain Bolt at World Relays (video) 0
- Kim Rhode still No. 1 after difficult pregnancy, gun change on road to history in Rio 0
- Jillion Potter done with cancer treatment, eyes U.S. rugby return, Olympics 0
- Jeremy Bloom recalls 2006 Olympics in ‘Fueled by Failure’ 0
- Missy Franklin on her dream relay, unusual autographs, ‘the worm’ 1
- Tanith Belbin, Charlie White get married 2
- Bruce Jenner: I’m a woman; Olympians react 5
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)