Jan 11, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Snow and high wind caused the cancellation of snowboard halfpipe and slopestyle finals at the third of five Olympic selection events in Breckenridge, Colo., on Saturday.
Qualification results in snowboard halfpipe and slopestyle will not be used as final results, according to reports. Qualification results in ski slopestyle were used as final results Friday. Ski halfpipe was postponed until 11:30 a.m. ET on Sunday.
Rules for official results in snowboarding and freeskiing are different.
What complicates matters further in snowboarding is that next week’s competition in Mammoth Mountain, Calif., was already going to include two snowboard finals. Will U.S. Snowboarding add a third set of finals?
Shaun White had a chance to clinch his Olympic berth in slopestyle in Breckenridge.
The athletes justifiably aired their thoughts on social media after a rough week of delays and cancellations.
Well that could have quite possibly been the biggest waste of a week I've ever endured.—
Greg Bretz (@gregbretzz) January 11, 2014
We did a contest. Count it. Can't act like it never happened.—
Louie Vito (@louievito) January 11, 2014
- WATCH LIVE: Sochi Paralympics, Day 8 0
- U.S., Russia set for rematch in Paralympic sledge hockey final 0
- Nicklas Backstrom will receive Olympic silver medal 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ prosthetic legs, shorts covered in blood in trial photos 0
- U.S. wins its first Sochi Paralympic gold, sweeps snowboarding event 0
- T.J. Oshie reportedly invited to White House Correspondents’ Dinner 2
- Oscar Pistorius murder trial photo sequence shows trail of blood stains, glimpses of Reeva Steenkamp’s body 0