Jan 11, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Snow and high wind caused the cancellation of snowboard halfpipe and slopestyle finals at the third of five Olympic selection events in Breckenridge, Colo., on Saturday.
Qualification results in snowboard halfpipe and slopestyle will not be used as final results, according to reports. Qualification results in ski slopestyle were used as final results Friday. Ski halfpipe was postponed until 11:30 a.m. ET on Sunday.
Rules for official results in snowboarding and freeskiing are different.
What complicates matters further in snowboarding is that next week’s competition in Mammoth Mountain, Calif., was already going to include two snowboard finals. Will U.S. Snowboarding add a third set of finals?
Shaun White had a chance to clinch his Olympic berth in slopestyle in Breckenridge.
The athletes justifiably aired their thoughts on social media after a rough week of delays and cancellations.
Well that could have quite possibly been the biggest waste of a week I've ever endured.—
Greg Bretz (@gregbretzz) January 11, 2014
We did a contest. Count it. Can't act like it never happened.—
Louie Vito (@louievito) January 11, 2014
- Simone Biles dominates to open P&G Championships 0
- Amy Van Dyken-Rouen stands, walks with assistance for first time since accident (video) 0
- Sam Mikulak leads one of most decorated P&G Championships fields ever 0
- Katie Ledecky wins 2 Pan Pacs titles; Missy Franklin places 3rd 1
- Simone Biles a tall favorite at P&G Championships; women’s preview 0
- Jennie Finch, Lisa Fernandez weigh in on Mo’ne Davis 0
- Pan Pacific Championships men’s events preview 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)