Jan 11, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
BOSTON — Simon Shnapir wanted to soak in the atmosphere for just a moment longer.
The Boston-based skated squeezed the hand of partner Marissa Castelli and told her so as the two stood at center ice following their free skate at the U.S. Championships inside TD Garden, the crowd’s roar enveloping them in noise they had never quite heard before.
“I just wasn’t sure when we would ever get another opportunity like that,” the six-foot-four Shnapir shrugged.
He and Castelli later were awarded their second straight national title, beating out 2012 champions Caydee Denney and John Coughlin, who fell to third place behind Felicia Zhang and Nathan Bartholomay.
Two pairs will be named to the U.S. Olympic team Sunday at noon after an international committee considers results from the past season as well as the Nationals scores.
It’ll be an especially long night for Denney/Coughlin, who sat out Nationals a year ago while Coughlin recovered from an injury.
“Caydee and I can look back back and say we remember every moment,” an emotional Coughlin told reporters. “You always hope to be a part of a U.S. Championships where everyone is throwing down and giving their best.”
The two had a stronger Grand Prix season than Zhang/Bartholomay, who edged them out by less than a point Saturday afternoon.
“I think we’re both on cloud nine right now,” Bartholomay said. “We’re aware that second place isn’t locked in, but we gave it our best.”
Castelli fell on a throw quadruple Salchow, but otherwise the team skated strongly to “Skyfall” from the “James Bond” soundtrack.
“We made a couple mistakes but overall we were so happy to skate in front of our family and friends,” Castelli, a Rhode Island native, said.
“Boston was an amazing crowd, so loud and so much energy,” Shnapir added.
1. Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir – 205.71
2. Felicia Zhang/Nathan Bartholomay – 201.72
3. Caydee Denney/John Coughlin – 201.43
4. Alexa Scimeca/Christopher Knierim – 189.67
5. Haven Denney/Brandon Frazier 181.59
— Nick McCarvel (@NickMcCarvel) January 11, 2014
Aug 2, 2015, 1:28 AM EDT
Rousey is a 2008 Olympic judo bronze medalist.
Aug 1, 2015, 3:09 PM EDT
It wants to make a decision by the end of the month.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:57 AM EDT
Key swimmers and events to watch.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Action gets started Sunday in Kazan.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:12 AM EDT
Beijing beat Almaty, Kazakhstan, in a very close IOC vote.
Jul 30, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT
A US Sailing official maintained his stance on the Rio water from last year.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Watch the goalie’s interview on The Dan Patrick Show.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Farah was to have “blood data, supplements data, everything surrounding his medical treatment” investigated.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
NBC, NBC Sports Live Extra and Universal Sports will combine for daily coverage.
Jul 30, 2015, 8:08 AM EDT
Either way, the vote will mark an Olympic first.
Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT
Felix will be absent from the 200m at Worlds for the first time since 2001.
Jul 29, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT
Biles won’t be eligible to compete collegiately.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:53 PM EDT
It would be tougher for Wambach to make the Rio Olympic team than the 2015 World Cup team.
Jul 29, 2015, 12:19 PM EDT
Rehm has the best long jump by a German this year, but he may have a competitive advantage.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
“If you are in the world’s top 50, you should be able to play in the Olympics.”
Jul 29, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
“I gave up following [Boston 2024] because it was pretty confusing.”
Jul 29, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
The USOC has until Sept. 15 to submit a bid.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
Craig wants $5.7 million total for all the whole collection.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:28 AM EDT
Its Olympic qualifying tournament is in less than two months.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT
Watch Kim play badminton with Michelle Kwan.
- USOC to talk with other three finalists to replace Boston 2024 Olympic bid 0
- World Swimming Championships women’s preview 0
- World Swimming Championships men’s preview 2
- Beijing to host 2022 Winter Olympics; first city to hold Summer and Winter Games 4
- USOC collecting data on polluted Rio Olympic water venues 0
- World Swimming Championships broadcast schedule 0
- Almaty or Beijing? IOC set to choose 2022 Winter Olympic host 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)