Jan 11, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
BOSTON — Simon Shnapir wanted to soak in the atmosphere for just a moment longer.
The Boston-based skated squeezed the hand of partner Marissa Castelli and told her so as the two stood at center ice following their free skate at the U.S. Championships inside TD Garden, the crowd’s roar enveloping them in noise they had never quite heard before.
“I just wasn’t sure when we would ever get another opportunity like that,” the six-foot-four Shnapir shrugged.
He and Castelli later were awarded their second straight national title, beating out 2012 champions Caydee Denney and John Coughlin, who fell to third place behind Felicia Zhang and Nathan Bartholomay.
Two pairs will be named to the U.S. Olympic team Sunday at noon after an international committee considers results from the past season as well as the Nationals scores.
It’ll be an especially long night for Denney/Coughlin, who sat out Nationals a year ago while Coughlin recovered from an injury.
“Caydee and I can look back back and say we remember every moment,” an emotional Coughlin told reporters. “You always hope to be a part of a U.S. Championships where everyone is throwing down and giving their best.”
The two had a stronger Grand Prix season than Zhang/Bartholomay, who edged them out by less than a point Saturday afternoon.
“I think we’re both on cloud nine right now,” Bartholomay said. “We’re aware that second place isn’t locked in, but we gave it our best.”
Castelli fell on a throw quadruple Salchow, but otherwise the team skated strongly to “Skyfall” from the “James Bond” soundtrack.
“We made a couple mistakes but overall we were so happy to skate in front of our family and friends,” Castelli, a Rhode Island native, said.
“Boston was an amazing crowd, so loud and so much energy,” Shnapir added.
1. Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir – 205.71
2. Felicia Zhang/Nathan Bartholomay – 201.72
3. Caydee Denney/John Coughlin – 201.43
4. Alexa Scimeca/Christopher Knierim – 189.67
5. Haven Denney/Brandon Frazier 181.59
— Nick McCarvel (@NickMcCarvel) January 11, 2014
Oct 22, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
Olympic ski slopestyle champion also needed rabies shots after dog bite.
Oct 22, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
Kosovo has never competed at the Olympics as an independent nation.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
Vincenzo Nibali, Chris Froome, Alberto Contador have mixed opinions.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
Team will make its season debut with Skate America this weekend.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Zubkov, 40, had already said he wouldn’t compete this season.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
Tarmoh was part of the infamous tie at the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
Kosovo has yet to field a delegation at the Olympics.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
Film documenting Missy Franklin’s lead-up to London debuts next month.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Cejudo pulled out of his original debut Aug. 30.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Eight members of 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team will conduct spring event.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
Red Bull video shows skiers in LED lights at night in Alaska.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Vido Loncar banned for life by Croatian boxing federation.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT
Borre Rognlien’s move unrelated to Oslo’s failed bid and threats, according to reports.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:37 AM EDT
Pistorius would not be allowed to run, even if he is out of jail and under correctional supervision.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:18 AM EDT
Pistorius could serve less than one year in prison.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT
A look back at the greatest head-to-head duel in track and field history.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Olympic champion hasn’t retired from Nordic combined, either.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
“Morning joggers helped us and also guided us to the nearest metro station.”
Oct 20, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
How fast would they have to traverse the Bernabeu to have Olympic 100m final speed?
Oct 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Olympic downhill champion told German magazine she has good days and bad days.
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski, Terry Gannon named NBC’s lead figure skating announcers 0
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 3
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals 1
- Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos) 0
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)