Jan 11, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
BOSTON — Simon Shnapir wanted to soak in the atmosphere for just a moment longer.
The Boston-based skated squeezed the hand of partner Marissa Castelli and told her so as the two stood at center ice following their free skate at the U.S. Championships inside TD Garden, the crowd’s roar enveloping them in noise they had never quite heard before.
“I just wasn’t sure when we would ever get another opportunity like that,” the six-foot-four Shnapir shrugged.
He and Castelli later were awarded their second straight national title, beating out 2012 champions Caydee Denney and John Coughlin, who fell to third place behind Felicia Zhang and Nathan Bartholomay.
Two pairs will be named to the U.S. Olympic team Sunday at noon after an international committee considers results from the past season as well as the Nationals scores.
It’ll be an especially long night for Denney/Coughlin, who sat out Nationals a year ago while Coughlin recovered from an injury.
“Caydee and I can look back back and say we remember every moment,” an emotional Coughlin told reporters. “You always hope to be a part of a U.S. Championships where everyone is throwing down and giving their best.”
The two had a stronger Grand Prix season than Zhang/Bartholomay, who edged them out by less than a point Saturday afternoon.
“I think we’re both on cloud nine right now,” Bartholomay said. “We’re aware that second place isn’t locked in, but we gave it our best.”
Castelli fell on a throw quadruple Salchow, but otherwise the team skated strongly to “Skyfall” from the “James Bond” soundtrack.
“We made a couple mistakes but overall we were so happy to skate in front of our family and friends,” Castelli, a Rhode Island native, said.
“Boston was an amazing crowd, so loud and so much energy,” Shnapir added.
1. Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir – 205.71
2. Felicia Zhang/Nathan Bartholomay – 201.72
3. Caydee Denney/John Coughlin – 201.43
4. Alexa Scimeca/Christopher Knierim – 189.67
5. Haven Denney/Brandon Frazier 181.59
— Nick McCarvel (@NickMcCarvel) January 11, 2014
Apr 18, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Katie Ledecky also flirted with a world record.
Apr 18, 2015, 10:17 AM EDT
The U.S. appears to have a better shot in the women’s race.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:09 AM EDT
Phelps has raced against a record-breaking woman before.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT
“I’m like, Michael, 2016, Rio, 50 free, 100 free, just a relay.”
Apr 17, 2015, 3:06 PM EDT
The finals are at 9 p.m. ET on Universal Sports.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
Plushenko wants to compete in a fifth Olympics in 2018.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:29 AM EDT
It took organizers about 20 minutes to figure out what happened Sunday.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:09 AM EDT
“It doesn’t seem like she has served a ban.”
Apr 17, 2015, 8:42 AM EDT
Phelps outdueled Ryan Lochte, but he was slower than last year.
Apr 16, 2015, 3:16 PM EDT
If Phelps is added by FINA, the U.S. might be able to try for podium sweeps at the World Championships.
Apr 16, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Phelps and Ryan Lochte appear headed for a showdown Thursday night.
Apr 16, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
Canada has a shot to qualify for its first Olympics since 2000.
Apr 16, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT
“There is no legitimate case for nationality change,” a British official said.
Apr 16, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
See Eugene’s bid video for 2019 that failed to get a taste of what Worlds will be like in the U.S.
Apr 15, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
The gold-medal game will be live on NBCSN.
Apr 15, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
Phelps discussed his time away from swimming during his suspension.
Apr 15, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT
The video states that the swimming stadium is 58 percent complete.
Apr 15, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
The world’s best all-around swimmer competes in Mesa this week.
Apr 14, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
Armstrong explained her comeback on social media.
Apr 14, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT
There’s Michael Phelps, but also much more.
- Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte split duels in Mesa 0
- Boston Marathon preview: Can Meb Keflezighi repeat? 0
- Michael Phelps jokingly challenges Katie Ledecky to race 1
- Debbie Phelps texted Michael Phelps about Rio 2016 years ago (video) 0
- Yevgeny Plushenko to return to figure skating competition 1
- Michael Phelps back with ‘OK’ victory in Mesa 1
- Michael Phelps could be offered World Championships spot by FINA 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)