Jan 11, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
BOSTON — Simon Shnapir wanted to soak in the atmosphere for just a moment longer.
The Boston-based skated squeezed the hand of partner Marissa Castelli and told her so as the two stood at center ice following their free skate at the U.S. Championships inside TD Garden, the crowd’s roar enveloping them in noise they had never quite heard before.
“I just wasn’t sure when we would ever get another opportunity like that,” the six-foot-four Shnapir shrugged.
He and Castelli later were awarded their second straight national title, beating out 2012 champions Caydee Denney and John Coughlin, who fell to third place behind Felicia Zhang and Nathan Bartholomay.
Two pairs will be named to the U.S. Olympic team Sunday at noon after an international committee considers results from the past season as well as the Nationals scores.
It’ll be an especially long night for Denney/Coughlin, who sat out Nationals a year ago while Coughlin recovered from an injury.
“Caydee and I can look back back and say we remember every moment,” an emotional Coughlin told reporters. “You always hope to be a part of a U.S. Championships where everyone is throwing down and giving their best.”
The two had a stronger Grand Prix season than Zhang/Bartholomay, who edged them out by less than a point Saturday afternoon.
“I think we’re both on cloud nine right now,” Bartholomay said. “We’re aware that second place isn’t locked in, but we gave it our best.”
Castelli fell on a throw quadruple Salchow, but otherwise the team skated strongly to “Skyfall” from the “James Bond” soundtrack.
“We made a couple mistakes but overall we were so happy to skate in front of our family and friends,” Castelli, a Rhode Island native, said.
“Boston was an amazing crowd, so loud and so much energy,” Shnapir added.
1. Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir – 205.71
2. Felicia Zhang/Nathan Bartholomay – 201.72
3. Caydee Denney/John Coughlin – 201.43
4. Alexa Scimeca/Christopher Knierim – 189.67
5. Haven Denney/Brandon Frazier 181.59
— Nick McCarvel (@NickMcCarvel) January 11, 2014
- Eddy Alvarez heats up in Arizona League 0
- U.S. 400m runner Torrin Lawrence dies in car accident 0
- Brazil’s Olympic coach wants Neymar to play at Rio 2016 0
- U.S. teams sweep World Series of Beach Volleyball (video) 0
- UPDATE: Noelle Pikus-Pace’s brother and his children found in Idaho 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross make WSOBV final 0
- Usain Bolt arrives in Glasgow, says he’s injury free 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)