Jan 9, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
For everybody opining on the MLB Hall of Fame, check this out from the International Swimming Hall of Fame.
The ISHOF in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., has a bust of Michael Phelps on display.
The waiting period for induction into the ISHOF is four years, which means Phelps couldn’t be inducted until at least 2016. That’s assuming Phelps, who is back in the international drug-testing pool, does not return to competitive swimming this year.
“Swimming, as a sport, doesn’t have a lot of statues, great artwork that memorializes our great talent and stands the test of time,” International Swimming Hall of Fame president Bruce Wigo said, according to SwimSwam. “It’s our intention to create more artwork like this one of Michael Phelps to honor great athletes in aquatic sports.”
Phelps trained in St. Petersburg, Fla., with North Baltimore Aquatic Club on Thursday, according to the Tampa Bay Times.
- Michael Phelps to move to Arizona with coach Bob Bowman 0
- Simone Biles discusses Martha Karolyi’s team selfie, U.S. teammates, more 0
- Usain Bolt: Tyson Gay’s reduced ban ‘the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard’ 0
- Doug E. Doug reflects on ‘Cool Runnings’ 0
- Nadia Comaneci: Simone Biles’ difficulty is almost equal to men 0
- Ten sports where Brazil can win medals at Rio 2016 0
- Figure skaters recall odd gifts from fans 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)