Jan 9, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
For everybody opining on the MLB Hall of Fame, check this out from the International Swimming Hall of Fame.
The ISHOF in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., has a bust of Michael Phelps on display.
The waiting period for induction into the ISHOF is four years, which means Phelps couldn’t be inducted until at least 2016. That’s assuming Phelps, who is back in the international drug-testing pool, does not return to competitive swimming this year.
“Swimming, as a sport, doesn’t have a lot of statues, great artwork that memorializes our great talent and stands the test of time,” International Swimming Hall of Fame president Bruce Wigo said, according to SwimSwam. “It’s our intention to create more artwork like this one of Michael Phelps to honor great athletes in aquatic sports.”
Phelps trained in St. Petersburg, Fla., with North Baltimore Aquatic Club on Thursday, according to the Tampa Bay Times.
- Michael Phelps gets probation after guilty plea in DUI case 2
- Stephen Colbert and the Olympics 0
- U.S. will bid for 2024 Olympics, no city chosen yet 6
- Adrian Peterson won’t try for Olympics, but other RBs might 2
- Rio Olympic track and field schedule released 1
- Rome to bid for 2024 Olympics, possible events in Vatican City 0
- Yuzuru Hanyu repeats as Grand Prix Final champion (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)