Jan 8, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
The 2022 World Cup will not be played during the hot summer in Qatar, a FIFA official said, but the proposed time window would not cross into the 2022 Winter Olympics.
“The dates of the World Cup will not be in June or July,” FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke told France Inter Radio, according to Reuters. “I think it will be played between November 15 and January 15 the latest.”
Valcke’s comment agrees with what has been said before, though one of FIFA’s vice presidents denied the time frame had been decided Wednesday.
The Winter Olympics are traditionally held in February.
In November, FIFA president Sepp Blatter, who is also an International Olympic Committee member, said he didn’t want the 2022 World Cup to clash with the Olympics.
Around the same time, winter sports federations expressed concern over the World Cup possibly being moved to November, which would coincide with the start of skiing, sliding and skating seasons.
It seems inevitable that a winter World Cup would affect winter sports seasons, which can run from October into April depending on the sport.
The IOC has reportedly “warned” FIFA about switching 2022 World Cup dates to keep it from clashing with the 2022 Winter Olympics.
Aug 22, 2014, 7:32 AM EDT
U.S. had to come from behind in both relays.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
Finals at 5 a.m. ET on Friday.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
Olympian Kyla Ross struggled.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Olympic champion swimmer posts Instagram videos.
Aug 21, 2014, 6:08 PM EDT
A U.S. Summer Olympic Opening Ceremony flag bearer hasn’t won individual Olympic gold since 1960.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
Four past U.S. all-around champions are in the field in Pittsburgh.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Also, a rare defeat for Olympic pole vault champion.
Aug 21, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Olympic all-around champion says she’ll stay in Columbus through 2016 Olympics.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
Ledecky nearly broke another world record.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
NBA legends channeled; Olympic silver medalist on judging panel.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:49 AM EDT
Ukrainian’s error costs Moldovan teammate a shot at the podium.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT
U.S. star first suffered back spasms at Tuesday practice.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
Defending champion feels no added pressure despite seeing her face all around Pittsburgh.
Aug 20, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
Would Davis excel in softball if she tried it?
Aug 20, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
Can Allyson Felix finally topple Tori Bowie?
Aug 20, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT
First medals awarded on an Olympic stage in rugby since 1924.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Lily Zhang scored a breakthrough for U.S. table tennis.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:28 AM EDT
Gold medalists Hannah Moore and Clara Smiddy will go from Nanjing to Ann Arbor.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
U.S. vs. Australia in sprint head to head; outlook for Phelps and Lochte.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Will Katie Ledecky be tested?
- Michael Phelps, Missy Franklin 4th in 100 free, win Pan Pacs relay golds 0
- Simone Biles dominates to open P&G Championships 0
- Amy Van Dyken-Rouen stands, walks with assistance for first time since accident (video) 1
- Sam Mikulak leads one of most decorated P&G Championships fields ever 0
- Katie Ledecky wins 2 Pan Pacs titles; Missy Franklin places 3rd 1
- Simone Biles a tall favorite at P&G Championships; women’s preview 0
- Jennie Finch, Lisa Fernandez weigh in on Mo’ne Davis 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)