Jan 8, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT
Two-time Olympic figure skating medalist Nancy Kerrigan will work for NBC Olympics in Sochi.
Kerrigan, the 1992 bronze medalist and 1994 silver medalist, will serve as a figure skating analyst and appear on NBC Universal shows such as TODAY, Access Hollywood and the E! network.
Kerrigan covered the 2010 Olympics for “Entertainment Tonight.”
It was previously announced that Kerrigan would be part of an NBC documentary aired during the Sochi Olympics about the attack on her plotted by Tonya Harding‘s ex-husband.
Mary Carillo interviewed both Kerrigan and Harding for the documentary.
“It took years to convince Nancy,” Carillo said at an NBC Olympics media event Tuesday.
While Harding stayed in the spotlight as much as she could after 1994, Kerrigan has largely remained a private person.
“It’s not something you celebrate, being attacked, you know,” Kerrigan said at the media event. “I was nervous to know how things would get twisted and turned because that’s happened before.”
Why did she relent now?
“I trust Mary and producer Margaret [Grossi] to really just tell the story from my perspective,” Kerrigan said. “Instead of just assuming what my perspective would be.”
Other notes from the media event:
* The Opening Ceremony will not be streamed live but will be presented in primetime on Feb. 7 from 7:30-11:30 p.m. Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira will host with Bob Costas opening the program and New Yorker editor David Remnick, a Russia expert, serving as a correspondent.
“It’s a ceremony, it’s a pageant, it’s a theater show,” NBC Sports Group chairman Mark Lazarus said. “It is not a competition. As such, we think putting Matt and Meredith there and putting the context to it, being able to explain the history and tradition and culture that’s going to be a part of it is a better viewing experience. We’re looking to maximize the overall experience for our audience.”
All competition will be streamed live. It has not been determined if the Closing Ceremony will be streamed live.
*NBC would welcome Lindsey Vonn having a role in coverage after she announced Tuesday that she would not compete in Sochi due to her knee injury.
*Previews of NBC athlete features were shown on Russian ballet and Canadian Olympic moguls champion Alexandre Bilodeau and his older brother, Frederic, who has cerebral palsy. In 2010, Bilodeau became the first Canadian to win Olympic gold on home soil.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Michael Andrew, 15, turned pro last year and has been drawing comparisons to Michael Phelps.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
When to watch Michael Phelps’ return to competition.
Apr 22, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
How Keflezighi spent the morning after his upset victory.
Apr 22, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
Americans’ tactic played small role in Keflezighi’s victory.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
Sochi figure skating analysts will be fashion experts at Churchill Downs.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:11 AM EDT
Ohno follows NFL wide receiver, celebrity chef in ambitious attempt.
Apr 22, 2014, 8:21 AM EDT
Johan Bruyneel guided Lance Armstrong’s teams for all seven stripped Tour de France wins.
Apr 21, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
“I needed it for healing,” one survivor said.
Apr 21, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
First U.S. man to win Boston Marathon since 1983.
Apr 21, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
Meb Keflezighi made history on an emotional day at the 2014 Boston Marathon by becoming the first American man to win the race since 1983. Watch highlights of the 38-year-old Keflezighi’s victory here, courtesy of Universal Sports: Keflezighi reacts to his historic win and the emotion of winning one year after the Boston Marathon bombing,…
Apr 21, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
Shalane Flanagan led early but was dropped around 21 miles.
Apr 21, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
Paralympic champion prevails one month after winning silver in Sochi.
Apr 21, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
Double the police presence from last year.
Apr 21, 2014, 9:38 AM EDT
Former linebacker ran in 2012 and saw the first bomb from a hotel last year.
Apr 21, 2014, 9:07 AM EDT
Race starts by honoring those lost and those who saved at last year’s race.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Watch every runner cross the finish line on Monday.
Apr 19, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
Two-time Olympian hasn’t run a marathon since the London Games.
Apr 18, 2014, 9:41 PM EDT
All eyes will be on a changed Boylston Street on Monday.
Apr 18, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Universal Sports will have live coverage and is on a free preview nationwide.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Monday’s race figures to come down to two men.
- Another Michael set to make splash at Mesa Grand Prix 0
- Michael Phelps’ comeback at Mesa Grand Prix competition, broadcast schedules 0
- Ryan Hall, other U.S. runners wouldn’t help East Africans catch Meb Keflezighi 0
- Emotions flow for runners, spectators at Boston Marathon 0
- Meb Keflezighi stuns to win Boston Marathon (video) 4
- Rita Jeptoo repeats as Boston Marathon winner in course record 0
- Boston Marathon to move forward with traditional spectacle of a finish 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (55)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (46)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)