Jan 8, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT
Two-time Olympic figure skating medalist Nancy Kerrigan will work for NBC Olympics in Sochi.
Kerrigan, the 1992 bronze medalist and 1994 silver medalist, will serve as a figure skating analyst and appear on NBC Universal shows such as TODAY, Access Hollywood and the E! network.
Kerrigan covered the 2010 Olympics for “Entertainment Tonight.”
It was previously announced that Kerrigan would be part of an NBC documentary aired during the Sochi Olympics about the attack on her plotted by Tonya Harding‘s ex-husband.
Mary Carillo interviewed both Kerrigan and Harding for the documentary.
“It took years to convince Nancy,” Carillo said at an NBC Olympics media event Tuesday.
While Harding stayed in the spotlight as much as she could after 1994, Kerrigan has largely remained a private person.
“It’s not something you celebrate, being attacked, you know,” Kerrigan said at the media event. “I was nervous to know how things would get twisted and turned because that’s happened before.”
Why did she relent now?
“I trust Mary and producer Margaret [Grossi] to really just tell the story from my perspective,” Kerrigan said. “Instead of just assuming what my perspective would be.”
Other notes from the media event:
* The Opening Ceremony will not be streamed live but will be presented in primetime on Feb. 7 from 7:30-11:30 p.m. Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira will host with Bob Costas opening the program and New Yorker editor David Remnick, a Russia expert, serving as a correspondent.
“It’s a ceremony, it’s a pageant, it’s a theater show,” NBC Sports Group chairman Mark Lazarus said. “It is not a competition. As such, we think putting Matt and Meredith there and putting the context to it, being able to explain the history and tradition and culture that’s going to be a part of it is a better viewing experience. We’re looking to maximize the overall experience for our audience.”
All competition will be streamed live. It has not been determined if the Closing Ceremony will be streamed live.
*NBC would welcome Lindsey Vonn having a role in coverage after she announced Tuesday that she would not compete in Sochi due to her knee injury.
*Previews of NBC athlete features were shown on Russian ballet and Canadian Olympic moguls champion Alexandre Bilodeau and his older brother, Frederic, who has cerebral palsy. In 2010, Bilodeau became the first Canadian to win Olympic gold on home soil.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
Olympic ski slopestyle champion also needed rabies shots after dog bite.
Oct 22, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
Kosovo has never competed at the Olympics as an independent nation.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
Vincenzo Nibali, Chris Froome, Alberto Contador have mixed opinions.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
Team will make its season debut with Skate America this weekend.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Zubkov, 40, had already said he wouldn’t compete this season.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
Tarmoh was part of the infamous tie at the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
Kosovo has yet to field a delegation at the Olympics.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
Film documenting Missy Franklin’s lead-up to London debuts next month.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Cejudo pulled out of his original debut Aug. 30.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Eight members of 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team will conduct spring event.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
Red Bull video shows skiers in LED lights at night in Alaska.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Vido Loncar banned for life by Croatian boxing federation.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT
Borre Rognlien’s move unrelated to Oslo’s failed bid and threats, according to reports.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:37 AM EDT
Pistorius would not be allowed to run, even if he is out of jail and under correctional supervision.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:18 AM EDT
Pistorius could serve less than one year in prison.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT
A look back at the greatest head-to-head duel in track and field history.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Olympic champion hasn’t retired from Nordic combined, either.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
“Morning joggers helped us and also guided us to the nearest metro station.”
Oct 20, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
How fast would they have to traverse the Bernabeu to have Olympic 100m final speed?
Oct 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Olympic downhill champion told German magazine she has good days and bad days.
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski, Terry Gannon named NBC’s lead figure skating announcers 0
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 3
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals 1
- Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos) 0
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)