Jan 8, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The U.S. Olympic Bobsled Team will be named in a little over two weeks. The scrutiny is on five women with the best chances of earning one of three push athlete spots.
Every week, three are chosen to compete in World Cup events. Four — Aja Evans, Katie Eberling, Lolo Jones and Lauryn Williams – have made World Cup podiums this season. The fifth is the only one with Olympic bobsled experience, 2010 Olympian Emily Azevedo.
The U.S. driver-push athlete pairs for Saturday’s event in St. Moritz, Switzerland, are as follows:
Elana Meyers-Aja Evans
Jamie Greubel-Emily Azevedo
Jazmine Fenlator-Katie Eberling
The U.S. Bobsled and Skeleton Federation has been mixing and matching combinations this season with an eye on which pairs mesh well together and to get good looks at all the push athletes up for Olympic spots.
Meyers and Evans are expected to be paired together in Sochi and could win gold. Greubel has been paired with Eberling more than anybody else this season and last. Fenlator has spent plenty of time in the USA-3 sled with Jones.
Last week, Meyers teamed with Jones for the first time this season and took silver in Winterberg, Germany.
Jones hasn’t done many interviews since taking up bobsledding, but The Associated Press talked to her recently as she continues her quest for an Olympic medal.
“I’m so tired of hearing people say this is about the limelight,” Jones said. “It’s not a gimmick. It’s not for publicity. It never was. It’s always been about me achieving a dream and being able to tell that story down the road, that I never gave up and I fought hard.”
- A recent history of U.S. Olympic gymnastics comebacks 0
- Meryl Davis, Charlie White won’t compete next season 1
- Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman competitive with U.S. teammates in comeback 0
- Javier Fernandez wins upset World Championship; top American fourth 0
- Elizaveta Tuktamysheva wins World Championship; U.S. just misses medals 0
- How to watch Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman’s comeback gymnastics meet 0
- Yuzuru Hanyu tops World Championships short program; Jason Brown leads Americans 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)