Jan 8, 2014, 8:46 PM EST
Lindsey Vonn has a new friend to help her as she gets set for season-ending knee surgery that will keep her from competing in Sochi.
That friend is Leo, a 9-month-old homeless brindle boxer.
WPBF TV cameras caught Vonn with her puppy and offered this report:
Vonn showed up alone to finish paperwork and get a veterinarian check on Leo, the brindle boxer mix she and boyfriend Tiger Woods first saw the day before Christmas Eve.
Initially, Woods wanted a different pit-bull mix, shelter workers said, but Vonn came back the next day and said “I won!” and took Leo home.
Asked by WPBF 25 News why she chose that particular dog, Vonn replied “He has a bad knee, just like me.”
- Katie Ledecky faces decisions in 2015, 2016 0
- Michael Phelps back in the pool; Phelps, Ledecky win Golden Goggles 2
- Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84 1
- Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban 0
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard (video); Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)