Jan 8, 2014, 8:46 PM EDT
Lindsey Vonn has a new friend to help her as she gets set for season-ending knee surgery that will keep her from competing in Sochi.
That friend is Leo, a 9-month-old homeless brindle boxer.
WPBF TV cameras caught Vonn with her puppy and offered this report:
Vonn showed up alone to finish paperwork and get a veterinarian check on Leo, the brindle boxer mix she and boyfriend Tiger Woods first saw the day before Christmas Eve.
Initially, Woods wanted a different pit-bull mix, shelter workers said, but Vonn came back the next day and said “I won!” and took Leo home.
Asked by WPBF 25 News why she chose that particular dog, Vonn replied “He has a bad knee, just like me.”
- Michael Phelps arrested on DUI charges 2
- Lauryn Williams ‘playing with the idea’ of bobsled this season 0
- Lindsey Vonn set for first skiing in 10 months, named 2016 Youth Olympics ambassador 0
- Talk of a sub-two-hour marathon 2
- Dennis Kimetto breaks world record at Berlin Marathon (video) 0
- IOC adds anti-discrimination clause to Olympic host city contract 0
- Michael Phelps, Katie Ledecky lead Golden Goggles nominees 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)