Jan 8, 2014, 8:46 PM EDT
Lindsey Vonn has a new friend to help her as she gets set for season-ending knee surgery that will keep her from competing in Sochi.
That friend is Leo, a 9-month-old homeless brindle boxer.
WPBF TV cameras caught Vonn with her puppy and offered this report:
Vonn showed up alone to finish paperwork and get a veterinarian check on Leo, the brindle boxer mix she and boyfriend Tiger Woods first saw the day before Christmas Eve.
Initially, Woods wanted a different pit-bull mix, shelter workers said, but Vonn came back the next day and said “I won!” and took Leo home.
Asked by WPBF 25 News why she chose that particular dog, Vonn replied “He has a bad knee, just like me.”
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 3
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals 1
- Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos) 0
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)