Jan 7, 2014, 7:53 AM EDT
Latvia saw the Czech Republic put Petr Nedved, 42, on its roster and countered with seven-time NHL All-Star Sandis Ozolinsh, who is 41 and has been out of the NHL since 2008.
Ozolinsh has been around so long that he played for the Soviet Union team in junior in 1991. He went on to play for Latvia at the 2002 and 2006 Olympics, retiring from international play after Torino but coming back to help it qualify for Sochi.
On the other end of the Latvian spectrum is forward Zemgus Girgensons, 19, of the Buffalo Sabres. Latvia’s coach is Ted Nolan, the current Sabres interim coach.
Latvia is unlikely to make it to the quarterfinals of the 12-team tournament, a fate it suffered in the last three Olympics.
Here’s the full Latvia roster:
Kristers Gudlevskis — former Tampa Bay Lightning player
Oskars Bartulis — former Philadelphia Flyers player
Sandis Ozolinsh — former NHL player
Zemgus Girgensons — Buffalo Sabres
Kaspars Daugaviņs — former NHL player
- Boston Marathon announces increased security 0
- Oscar Pistorius vomits, cries during autopsy testimony 1
- Yuna Kim to skate in ‘retirement event’ 0
- More U.S. Paralympians crash in Alpine skiing 0
- U.S., Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce star to end World Indoor Championships 0
- U.S. speed skaters excel at first post-Olympic World Cup 0
- U.S. wins 2 medals on Day 2 of Paralympics, gold still elusive 0