Jan 7, 2014, 7:53 AM EDT
Latvia saw the Czech Republic put Petr Nedved, 42, on its roster and countered with seven-time NHL All-Star Sandis Ozolinsh, who is 41 and has been out of the NHL since 2008.
Ozolinsh has been around so long that he played for the Soviet Union team in junior in 1991. He went on to play for Latvia at the 2002 and 2006 Olympics, retiring from international play after Torino but coming back to help it qualify for Sochi.
On the other end of the Latvian spectrum is forward Zemgus Girgensons, 19, of the Buffalo Sabres. Latvia’s coach is Ted Nolan, the current Sabres interim coach.
Latvia is unlikely to make it to the quarterfinals of the 12-team tournament, a fate it suffered in the last three Olympics.
Here’s the full Latvia roster:
Kristers Gudlevskis — former Tampa Bay Lightning player
Oskars Bartulis — former Philadelphia Flyers player
Sandis Ozolinsh — former NHL player
Zemgus Girgensons — Buffalo Sabres
Kaspars Daugaviņs — former NHL player
- Shaun White ‘more motivated’ to compete than before Sochi 0
- Lolo Jones eliminated from ‘Dancing with the Stars’ 5
- Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps hope to meet for first time before Olympic farewell 0
- What U.S.’ FIBA World Cup title means for Olympics 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ Nike contract terminated 6
- Oscar Pistorius would be allowed in Paralympics after serving sentence 1
- Oscar Pistorius guilty of culpable homicide (verdict video) 3
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)