Jan 7, 2014, 6:43 AM EDT
Austria is one of the great Winter Olympic nations, historically competitive in many sports and the all-time medal leader in Alpine skiing.
Its hockey tradition is not quite up to the golden standard. Austria announced its Olympic hockey roster Tuesday with three NHL forwards and almost no shot at a medal.
Still, making it to Sochi is an accomplishment for a nation that had not qualified since 2002 and has never come close to an Olympic hockey medal. It surprisingly qualified over regular Olympic attendee Germany.
The team is led by New York Islanders forward Thomas Vanek and former NHL defenseman Thomas Pock, who played on the 2002 Olympic Team at age 20.
Here’s the full Austria roster:
Thomas Pock — former NHL player
Michael Grabner — New York Islanders
Michael Raffl — Philadelphia Flyers
Thomas Vanek — New York Islanders
- A recent history of U.S. Olympic gymnastics comebacks 0
- Meryl Davis, Charlie White won’t compete next season 1
- Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman competitive with U.S. teammates in comeback 0
- Javier Fernandez wins upset World Championship; top American fourth 0
- Elizaveta Tuktamysheva wins World Championship; U.S. just misses medals 0
- How to watch Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman’s comeback gymnastics meet 0
- Yuzuru Hanyu tops World Championships short program; Jason Brown leads Americans 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)