Jan 6, 2014, 9:18 AM EDT
Dennis Rodman is in North Korea, again, with a cavalcade of 1990s NBA players.
Before that, he had a quick stop over in Beijing, where he said he’s received death threats about his North Korea visits and appealed to the spirit of the Olympics.
“Sooner or later, we have to get along,” Rodman told a man with a camera at Beijing Capital International Airport. “It’s like saying, ‘Why do we have Olympics?’ Everyone comes together in Olympics. There’s no problems. That’s what I’m doing. That’s all I’m doing.”
For the record, Rodman never competed in the Olympics.
Rodman is planning a game with former NBA and street basketball players as a birthday present for North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
“It’s about doing one thing, trying to connect two countries together in the world to let people know, you know what, not every country in the planet is that bad,” Rodman said. “Especially North Korea. People say so many negative things about North Korea. I want people in the world to see it’s not that bad.”
As for Kim executing his uncle? Does something like that worry him?
“I’ve had my life in danger so many times in America and around the world, stuff like that,” Rodman said. “Since I’ve been going to North Korea, a lot of people in America have been sending me a lot of death threats, stuff like that. I don’t care, man. It’s not about that. It’s about people.”
The team includes Kenny Anderson, Vin Baker, Doug Christie, Sleepy Floyd, Craig Hodges, Cliff Robinson and Charles Smith.
“A lot of people want to think of this as self-preservation, something like that, and motivation for me to be famous,” Rodman said. “It’s not about that, brother.”
- Haley Anderson wins Pan Pacs open-water 10K by .01 after jellyfish sting, move to Maui 0
- Gwen Jorgensen wins World Championship in triathlon 0
- How the FIBA World Cup impacts the Olympics 0
- Gwen Jorgensen’s glory awaits in Edmonton 0
- Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video) 0
- Youth Olympics wrap with Closing Ceremony, Lionel Messi cameo (photos) 0
- U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)