Jan 4, 2014, 5:34 PM EDT
J.R. Celski and Jessica Smith dominated again, and two more skaters qualified for the U.S. Olympic Team at the short track trials Saturday.
Celski and Smith, who won the 1500m on Friday, swept 500m races Saturday to earn Olympic berths in a second distance. Eddy Alvarez
and Emily Scott finished second, again, on Saturday to clinch their first Olympic berths.
The U.S. Olympic Short Track Speed Skating Trials conclude with 1000m races at the Utah Olympic Oval on Sunday. Four more skaters will earn Olympic spots.
Alvarez is in line to join Celski in both the 500m and 1500m in Sochi given they both went one-two in the events the last two days. The U.S. has one other Olympic spot in those events. Who will fill it is yet to be determined.
Alvarez, 23, is one of three U.S. men’s skaters to win individual World Cup medals this season. “Eddy the Jet” is from Miami, the son of Cuban immigrants, and a former inline skater and all-conference shortstop at Salt Lake Community College.
He’s been skating with Celski since they were 6, dating to their inline days. Celski already has one Olympics under his belt. Now, Alvarez gets to join him in Sochi.
“It sounds pretty awesome, don’t you think?” Alvarez said on NBCSN before performing a special handshake with Celski.
Earlier Saturday, John-Henry Krueger scratched out the 1500m with the swine flu, which has had a recent outbreak in Salt Lake City. Krueger, a World Cup medalist this season, was a favorite to make the Olympic Team before the trials.
He was fourth in four- and nine-lap time trials Thursday but did not qualify for either A final in the 1500m on Friday. He could still earn a spot on the Olympic Team on Sunday, if he competes and fares well.
Whoever finishes first or second in the 1000m Sunday will make the Olympic Team. Whatever spots still available will then go to the next highest skaters in the overall standings.
That makes the next three highest men in the overall standings — 2010 Olympian Jordan Malone, Kyle Carr and Chris Creveling – the favorites to secure the final three men’s Olympic berths Sunday.
One Olympic spot is left to be determined on the women’s team. Scott, 24, was unaware that all she had to do was finish second behind Smith in the final 500m race Saturday to clinch an Olympic berth.
“I’m speechless,” Scott said on NBCSN after learning she made her first Olympic Team. “I didn’t even know until my coach brought me over and congratulated me. It’s been a long time coming.”
The winner of the women’s 1000m standings Sunday will make the Olympic Team. If that winner is Smith or Scott, the second-place skater will make the Olympic Team. If Smith and Scott go one-two, in either order, the top skater in the overall distance standings will make the Olympic Team.
Here are the individual distance standings:
Men’s 500m — FINAL
1. J.R. Celski — 2,500 (clinched Olympic berth)
2. Eddy Alvarez — 1,920 (clinched Olympic berth)
1. J.R. Celski — 500
2. Chris Creveling — 400
3. Eddy Alvarez — 320
4. John-Henry Krueger — 256
5. Jordan Malone — 205
Men’s 1500m — FINAL
1. J.R. Celski — 2,500 (clinched Olympic berth)
2. Eddy Alvarez — 1,632 (clinched Olympic berth)
Women’s 500m — FINAL
1. Jessica Smith — 2,500 (clinched Olympic berth)
2. Emily Scott — 1,840 (clinched Olympic berth)
1. Jessica Smith — 500
2. Emily Scott — 400
3. Alyson Dudek — 320
4. Kimberly Goetz — 256
5. Sarah Chen — 205
Women’s 1500m — FINAL
1. Jessica Smith — 2,300 (clinched Olympic berth)
2. Emily Scott — 2,200 (clinched Olympic berth)
Here are the overall distance standings:
1. J.R. Celski — 5,000 (clinched Olympic berth)
2. Eddy Alvarez — 3,552 (clinched Olympic berth)
3. Jordan Malone — 2,714
4. Kyle Carr — 2,389
5. Chris Creveling — 2,264
1. Jessica Smith — 4,800 (clinched Olympic berth)
2. Emily Scott — 4,040 (clinched Olympic berth)
3. Alyson Dudek — 3,360
4. Sarah Chen — 2,509
5. Kimberly Goetz — 1,559
Aug 1, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT
Bolt expected to anchor Jamaica in Commonwealth Games final on Saturday.
Aug 1, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
Olympic all-around champion now in Ohio.
Aug 1, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Texan hasn’t competed since winning World Championship all-around in October.
Aug 1, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
Retiring had nothing to do with her World Cup Finals crash, German star said.
Aug 1, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT
Team USA can qualify for the Olympics at the August/September tournament.
Aug 1, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
U.S. sailing official says worst parts of the bay are not in competition areas.
Aug 1, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
One diver landed on his back, another did feet first.
Jul 31, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT
Which events are Phelps, Lochte, Franklin and Ledecky entered in?
Jul 31, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Poor Games for Aussies get worse with assault charge.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:19 PM EDT
Markus Rehm insists he has no competitive advantage.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Ice dancers continue whirlwind post-Olympic tour.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:08 AM EDT
Boston Marathon winner Keflezighi returns to site of 2009 triumph.
Jul 31, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
“After the Olympics I grew up,” Sotnikova told RIA Novosti.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte, Missy Franklin, Katie Ledecky slated for meet in Irvine, Calif., next week.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Water main break sent up to 10 million gallons of water around campus.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
Felicia Zhang and Nate Bartholomay have ended their pairs partnership but teamed up at Tropicana Field.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
German track and field president said the jumper could gain a “catapult effect.”
Jul 30, 2014, 9:49 AM EDT
Every 2012 Olympian and 2013 World Championships team member is in the field.
Jul 29, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
It became Xxx at a passport office, according to the BBC.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:35 PM EDT
Boston is one of four finalist cities for a potential U.S. bid for the 2024 Olympics.
- Usain Bolt eases Jamaica to win in his first race of 2014 0
- Gabby Douglas out of P&G Championships, at new gym, report says 0
- Simone Biles returns to Secret Classic a different gymnast 0
- Meb Keflezighi, Caroline Wozniacki to run New York City Marathon 0
- U.S. swimming rankings going into National Championships 0
- German long jump champion, a Paralympian, left off European Championships roster 3
- Eddy Alvarez heats up in Arizona League 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)