Jan 3, 2014, 8:48 AM EST
Russian president Vladimir Putin hit the ski slopes one month before the world’s best skiers will compete at the same mountains during the Sochi Olympics.
Putin took a few runs at a complex in Krasnaya Polyana that will host biathlon and cross-country skiing, according to RIA Novosti. He was joined by prime minister Dmitry Medvedev, and the two later enjoyed tea together.
Putin, 61, was in the Black Sea resort to inspect all of the Olympic facilities in the mountain and coastal clusters and review preparations for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, according to the report.
He will pay particular attention to areas not yet complete, a list that includes Fisht Stadium, the site of the Opening Ceremony on Feb. 7.
Also Friday, the Olympic torch relay soared in a hot air balloon.
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown 1
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Marcel Hirscher’s historically dominant win just about ends Ted Ligety’s title hopes (video) 0
- Lindsey Vonn lost in the fog in Bansko super combined 0
- Elana Meyers Taylor wins historic bobsled World Championship (video) 1
- World’s most athletic couple takes the next leap 0
- Is Simone Biles unbeatable? 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)