Jan 3, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
It took eight races to beat Steve Holcomb this season.
The Olympic four-man champion finished seventh in a two-man event in Winterberg, Germany, on Friday, snapping a seven-race winning streak overall to start the World Cup season.
“I knew coming into this race that it was going to be a challenge,” Holcomb said, according to the U.S. Bobsled and Skeleton Federation. “I drive by feel, not by visual cues. I’ve always struggled here, but understanding that doesn’t make it any less frustrating. Knowing that it’s going to be difficult adds pressure, especially since I’ve been undefeated this season.”
Swiss Beat Hefti won by a comfortable .46 of a second in a two-run time of 1 minute, 52.68 seconds. Another American, Cory Butner, took third, .01 behind second place Aleksander Zubkov of Russia.
“It’s hard not to wonder where you lost that and how you could have made up some time,” said Butner, who won his first World Cup medal in Europe. “We have the best equipment, best coaches and techs, and everything is coming together just like it’s supposed to.”
The bobsled World Cup continues with a four-man competition Saturday at 4 a.m. ET on Universal Sports.
Holcomb not winning wasn’t a major shock because his seven-race streak came entirely in North America — Calgary, Alberta, Park City, Utah, and Lake Placid, N.Y. Winterberg is the first of four straight weekends of racing on European tracks, where Holcomb has had far less success.
Holcomb has not won a World Cup or World Championships two- or four-man race outside of North America since Dec. 13, 2009, also in Winterberg.
Both Holcomb and Nick Cunningham, who was 12th on Friday, crashed in four-man training in Winterberg earlier this week. Holcomb was in the Night Train 2. Cunningham was in the Night Train 1, the sled that won the 2010 Olympic gold medal. Cunningham started driving the Night Train 1 in December and crashed in his fourth run in the sled.
1. Beat Hefti/Alex Baumann (SUI) 1:52.68
2. Aleksander Zubkov/Alexey Voeveda (RUS) 1:53.14
3. Cory Butner/Chuck Berkeley (USA) 1:53.15
7. Steve Holcomb/Steve Langton (USA) 1:53.45
12. Nick Cunningham/Justin Olsen (USA) 1:53.72
Oct 20, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Olympic champion hasn’t retired from Nordic combined, either.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
“Morning joggers helped us and also guided us to the nearest metro station.”
Oct 20, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
How fast would they have to traverse the Bernabeu to have Olympic 100m final speed?
Oct 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Olympic downhill champion told German magazine she has good days and bad days.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Ohno said he went into “full warrior mode” in Hawaii.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:06 AM EDT
Two-time Olympian held U.S. mile record until 2007.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
U.S. Embassy scale had air pollution level at “hazardous.”
Oct 20, 2014, 8:37 AM EDT
Shamil Tarpischev, Russian tennis president, is also a longtime IOC member.
Oct 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
How top Americans, Austrian going for history will be affected this World Cup season.
Oct 17, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion won’t be competing, though.
Oct 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
Top U.S. skaters are incorporating new rule into their programs this season.
Oct 17, 2014, 9:41 AM EDT
Runner faces up to 15 years in prison.
Oct 17, 2014, 6:48 AM EDT
Gatlin’s inclusion on previous 10-man nomination list drew criticism.
Oct 16, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Olympic silver medalist has an interesting post-skeleton bucket list.
Oct 16, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Biles recalls bee tale, talks of specific vault upgrade, uneven bars hatred.
Oct 16, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT
Three-time Olympic medalist previously said he was taking a break.
Oct 15, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Biles talks about the bee and what’s next.
Oct 15, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Erik Nieman, 15, flew from Arkansas to Charlotte for a special training session.
Oct 15, 2014, 10:12 AM EDT
U.S. champion makes her Grand Prix season debut at Skate America next week.
Oct 14, 2014, 1:06 PM EDT
Zoeggeler made history with his sixth medal in Sochi.
- Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals 1
- Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos) 0
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired 0
- Simone Biles still buzzing after World Championships whirlwind 0
- Gracie Gold calls audible, adds lyrics for post-Olympic season 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)