Jan 2, 2014, 9:19 AM EDT
USA Hockey did a pretty admirable job keeping the Olympic team from being leaked before the unveiling. But their secrecy methods didn’t come without error.
In trying to be discreet, USA Hockey texted a 67-year-old Canadian man that he was in the running to make the team for Sochi.
The story came out shortly after the roster announcement at the Winter Classic on Wednesday.
Specifically in trying to contact Vancouver Canucks forward Ryan Kesler. Gord Miller from TSN has the story:
Thankfully, Kesler eventually got the message.
“Obviously I’m excited, honored,” Kesler said after a 4-2 loss to the Lightning on Wednesday. “It’s going to be a special experience for me. I’m looking forward to it.”
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals 1
- Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos) 0
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired 0
- Simone Biles still buzzing after World Championships whirlwind 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)