Jan 2, 2014, 9:19 AM EST
USA Hockey did a pretty admirable job keeping the Olympic team from being leaked before the unveiling. But their secrecy methods didn’t come without error.
In trying to be discreet, USA Hockey texted a 67-year-old Canadian man that he was in the running to make the team for Sochi.
The story came out shortly after the roster announcement at the Winter Classic on Wednesday.
Specifically in trying to contact Vancouver Canucks forward Ryan Kesler. Gord Miller from TSN has the story:
Thankfully, Kesler eventually got the message.
“Obviously I’m excited, honored,” Kesler said after a 4-2 loss to the Lightning on Wednesday. “It’s going to be a special experience for me. I’m looking forward to it.”
- Michael Phelps may be reinstated for World Championships, report says 0
- David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown 1
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Marcel Hirscher’s historically dominant win just about ends Ted Ligety’s title hopes (video) 0
- Lindsey Vonn lost in the fog in Bansko super combined 0
- Elana Meyers Taylor wins historic bobsled World Championship (video) 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)