Jan 2, 2014, 9:19 AM EDT
USA Hockey did a pretty admirable job keeping the Olympic team from being leaked before the unveiling. But their secrecy methods didn’t come without error.
In trying to be discreet, USA Hockey texted a 67-year-old Canadian man that he was in the running to make the team for Sochi.
The story came out shortly after the roster announcement at the Winter Classic on Wednesday.
Specifically in trying to contact Vancouver Canucks forward Ryan Kesler. Gord Miller from TSN has the story:
Thankfully, Kesler eventually got the message.
“Obviously I’m excited, honored,” Kesler said after a 4-2 loss to the Lightning on Wednesday. “It’s going to be a special experience for me. I’m looking forward to it.”
- Five events to watch at Zurich Diamond League 0
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid is official 1
- Top ten storylines from World Track and Field Championships 0
- USOC, Los Angeles agree to 2024 Olympic bid, reports say 1
- U.S. finishes World Championships with fewest medals since 2003 3
- Usain Bolt anchors Jamaica to 4x100m relay gold after U.S. mishap 8
- Ashton Eaton breaks decathlon world record, wins World Championship 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (62)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)