Brian Boitano says U.S. delegation has to be careful in Sochi (video)

Jan 2, 2014, 10:16 AM EDT

Olympic champion figure skater Brian Boitano expressed gratitude and caution in his first interview since being named to the White House delegation to Sochi and coming out as gay two weeks ago.

“When the president named the delegation, and I read in the news what his message was of tolerance and diversity, I thought I have to take this opportunity [to come out],” Boitano said on TODAY on Thursday. “I think the message is so strong, I’ve always wanted to represent my country as best I could. I knew that I had to go past my comfort zone and reveal a private side of my life that I had never done before because I felt that the message is so strong.”

Boitano and two other gay athletes — two-time Olympic hockey medalist Caitlin Cahow and tennis legend Billie Jean King – were among the delegation named by president Barack Obama on Dec. 17.

“I was so honored to be asked by the White House,” Boitano said. “Going through the whole vetting process and being named to the delegation, it was really interesting because I didn’t know who was going to be on the delegation or any part of it.”

He’s set to travel to Sochi the day before the Opening Ceremony. His actions will be scrutinized in Russia, where a law is in place banning the promotion of non-traditional sexual relations toward minors.

“I think that we have to be careful once we go over there,” Boitano said. “I think the statement is already being made by us being on the delegation — Billie Jean and Caitlin — and us standing together, united as gay people showing that there is freedom of speech and we are successful human beings and athletes. I think that speaks measures.”

Boitano urged freedom of expression for anybody in Sochi, though.

“I encourage everybody to do what they feel is best for themselves,” he said. “I never thought that I would be coming out in this way. In a matter of 10 hours, I decided to do it. That was what was right for me at this time. I tell everybody that I think that they should do what’s right for them at their correct time.”

Boitano, 50, came out publicly two days after he was named to the delegation. He said his life has changed and the reaction has been fantastic and supportive.

“I really never felt that I had to [come out publicly],” he said. “I’ve always been a private person. I’ve kept my private side of my life special for family and friends who really knew me. I’ve never been ashamed of who I was. I’ve always been open with them, so I really didn’t feel that there was a need. I’m just a private guy. I realize that there was a public side of my life and a private side. I’ve always chosen to keep my sexuality private.”

USA Hockey mistakenly tells 67-year-old Canadian he had shot at Olympics

Latest Posts
  1. Boston’s potential advantage in 2024 Olympic bid race

Sep 16, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT

Boston Getty Images

“The city is the Olympic park,” official tells Boston Globe.

2. Paralympic president clarifies Pistorius stance, looks to Rio

Sep 15, 2014, 4:27 PM EDT

Oscar Pistorius, Alan Oliveira Getty Images

IPC president Sir Philip Craven looks ahead to an anniversary and a new frontier for the Paralympics.

3. Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps hope to meet for first time before Olympic farewell

Sep 15, 2014, 2:36 PM EDT

Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps Getty Images

The greatest Olympians of this generation discuss thoughts on one another.

4. U.S. men’s volleyball team eliminated at World Championships

Sep 15, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT

USA Volleyball Getty Images

U.S. bounced in Poland with five-set loss to Argentina.

5. What U.S.’ FIBA World Cup title means for Olympics

Sep 15, 2014, 11:16 AM EDT

Kyrie Irving AP

The second-biggest winner from the FIBA World Cup may be a nation that didn’t compete in Spain.

6. Carolina Kostner called to hearing in ex-boyfriend’s doping case

Sep 15, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT

Carolina Kostner Getty Images

Olympic bronze medalist figure skater dated Olympic race-walking champion when he tested positive.

7. Oscar Pistorius’ Nike contract terminated

Sep 13, 2014, 8:52 PM EDT

Oscar Pistorius

Nike had suspended its contract with the runner six days after he shot and killed his girlfriend.

8. Jenny Simpson has long-standing record in sight after spectacular season

Sep 12, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT

Jenny Simpson Getty Images

Simpson, racing the Fifth Avenue Mile on Saturday, is one tenth away from breaking a 31-year-old mark.

9. Things Mutaz Barshim could jump over (photos)

Sep 12, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT

Mutaz Barshim

High jumper hashtag has taken social media by storm.

10. Reeva Steenkamp’s mom says justice was not served in Oscar Pistorius trial (video)

Sep 12, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT

Barry Steenkamp, June Steenkamp Getty Images

Steenkamp’s parents want to meet with Pistorius, they told NBC News.

11. Oscar Pistorius would be allowed in Paralympics after serving sentence

Sep 12, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

“We would not stand in his way,” IPC spokesman said.

12. Oscar Pistorius guilty of culpable homicide (verdict video)

Sep 12, 2014, 7:48 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius AP

Runner faces up to 15 years in prison, plus sentence for gun charge.

13. World Gymnastics Championships nominative lists announced

Sep 11, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT

Simone Biles Getty Images

U.S. women’s team won’t officially be named until next week.

14. Mikaela Shiffrin eyes breakthrough with World Cup season approaching

Sep 11, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT

Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

Olympic slalom champion hopes for multiple World Cup giant slalom wins this season.

15. Oscar Pistorius trial judge rules out murder, verdict incomplete

Sep 11, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Runner could still face up to 15 years in prison for culpable homicide.

16. Amanda Kessel to miss 2014-15 season due to pre-Olympic concussion

Sep 10, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT

Amanda Kessel Getty Images

Kessel visited brain center run by same doctor who treated Sidney Crosby.

17. Tokyo 1964 Olympic cauldron lighter passes away

Sep 10, 2014, 10:20 AM EDT

Yoshinori Kasai Getty Images

Yoshinori Sakai was born on the day an atomic bomb hit Hiroshima.