Brian Boitano says U.S. delegation has to be careful in Sochi (video)

Jan 2, 2014, 10:16 AM EDT

Olympic champion figure skater Brian Boitano expressed gratitude and caution in his first interview since being named to the White House delegation to Sochi and coming out as gay two weeks ago.

“When the president named the delegation, and I read in the news what his message was of tolerance and diversity, I thought I have to take this opportunity [to come out],” Boitano said on TODAY on Thursday. “I think the message is so strong, I’ve always wanted to represent my country as best I could. I knew that I had to go past my comfort zone and reveal a private side of my life that I had never done before because I felt that the message is so strong.”

Boitano and two other gay athletes — two-time Olympic hockey medalist Caitlin Cahow and tennis legend Billie Jean King — were among the delegation named by president Barack Obama on Dec. 17.

“I was so honored to be asked by the White House,” Boitano said. “Going through the whole vetting process and being named to the delegation, it was really interesting because I didn’t know who was going to be on the delegation or any part of it.”

He’s set to travel to Sochi the day before the Opening Ceremony. His actions will be scrutinized in Russia, where a law is in place banning the promotion of non-traditional sexual relations toward minors.

“I think that we have to be careful once we go over there,” Boitano said. “I think the statement is already being made by us being on the delegation — Billie Jean and Caitlin — and us standing together, united as gay people showing that there is freedom of speech and we are successful human beings and athletes. I think that speaks measures.”

Boitano urged freedom of expression for anybody in Sochi, though.

“I encourage everybody to do what they feel is best for themselves,” he said. “I never thought that I would be coming out in this way. In a matter of 10 hours, I decided to do it. That was what was right for me at this time. I tell everybody that I think that they should do what’s right for them at their correct time.”

Boitano, 50, came out publicly two days after he was named to the delegation. He said his life has changed and the reaction has been fantastic and supportive.

“I really never felt that I had to [come out publicly],” he said. “I’ve always been a private person. I’ve kept my private side of my life special for family and friends who really knew me. I’ve never been ashamed of who I was. I’ve always been open with them, so I really didn’t feel that there was a need. I’m just a private guy. I realize that there was a public side of my life and a private side. I’ve always chosen to keep my sexuality private.”

USA Hockey mistakenly tells 67-year-old Canadian he had shot at Olympics

Latest Posts
  1. U.S. Women undefeated after opening of indoor volleyball Grand Prix tournament

Jul 5, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT

Volleyball: USA vs Italy Volleyball: USA vs Italy

Looking for their sixth Grand Prix title, the U.S. Women’s National Volleyball Team ended the weekend with three straight wins.

2. Lucena, Brunner finish fourth while Brazilians claim victory at Beach Volleyball World Championships

Jul 5, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT

150705_BeachVolleyball Getty Images

Brazilian teams finished on top of the podium in both the men’s and women’s finals.

3. Jamaican sprinters Asafa Powell and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce dominate at Paris Diamond League

Jul 4, 2015, 6:57 PM EDT

ATHLETICS-DIAMOND-FRA ATHLETICS-DIAMOND-FRA

The two claimed victory in the men’s and women’s 100 meters, while American Evan Jager came heartbreakingly close to making history in the steeplechase.

4. 2012 Olympic 4x100m relay medals officially reallocated after U.S. team stripped of silver

Jul 4, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT

Olympics Day 15 - Athletics Getty Images

Trinidad and Tobago have been upgraded to silver and France to bronze.

5. Bicycle fall takes swimmer Kosuke Hagino out of Worlds

Jul 4, 2015, 9:11 AM EDT

Kosuke Hagino Kosuke Hagino

The Japanese swimmer confirmed that his right elbow is fractured.

6. Nick Lucena and Theo Brunner final American team in Beach Volleyball World Championships

Jul 3, 2015, 5:13 PM EDT

AVP Championships at Huntington Beach AVP Championships at Huntington Beach

Three of the four remaining American teams were knocked out in the quarterfinal rounds. Lucena and Brunner will face the Brazilians in semifinals on Saturday.

7. Jordan Burroughs on Rio: ‘My chances of winning’ are better than in London

Jul 3, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT

US' Jordan Ernest Burroughs celebrates a US' Jordan Ernest Burroughs celebrates a

In an interview before the July 4th stop of the Road to Rio tour before Philadelphia, the Olympic wrestler explained how his age has become an advantage.

8. Rio 2016 Olympic torch unveiled

Jul 3, 2015, 12:26 PM EDT

Screen shot 2015-07-03 at 11.35.56 AM

The torch will begin in the capital city of Brasilia, passing through a planned 500 cities before reaching Maracana Stadium in Rio for the Opening Ceremony.

9. Allyson Felix considering 200-400m double at Worlds

Jul 3, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT

150704_AllysonFelix Getty Images

Won’t face Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, who will forgo 200 meters to focus on 100.

10. Japanese swim star Kosuke Hagino potentially out of World Championships

Jul 2, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT

Comments Off on Japanese swim star Kosuke Hagino potentially out of World Championships
    Japan's Kosuke Hagino competes in the me Japan's Kosuke Hagino competes in the me

A suspected elbow fracture may force Hagino to pull out.

11. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross historically dominant at World Championships

Jul 1, 2015, 10:07 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Walsh Jennings had never been part of such a rout with Misty May-Treanor.

12. USOC eyes majority support for Boston 2024 ‘relatively soon’

Jun 30, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT

Boston 2024

“We’re not discussing right now the possibility of not submitting a bid.”

13. Usain Bolt pulls out of July track meets

Jun 30, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT

AP AP

Bolt flew to Munich to treat an injury.

14. Brazil’s president offers Barack Obama ‘standing invitation’ to Rio Olympics

Jun 30, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT

AP AP

Obama has never attended an Olympics as president, and this is his last chance.

15. Simon Shnapir retires from figure skating

Jun 30, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Shnapir won Olympic bronze in Sochi.

16. Missy Franklin named top NCAA female athlete

Jun 30, 2015, 10:37 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Franklin beat out another Rio 2016 Olympic hopeful for the honor.

17. Cristiano Ronaldo ‘a possibility’ for Rio 2016 Olympics

Jun 30, 2015, 9:19 AM EDT

Cristiano Ronaldo Getty Images

Ronaldo debuted at the Olympics two years before his first World Cup.

18. Angela Ruggiero to become fourth women’s player in Hockey Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

AP AP

The 2015 Hall of Fame class also includes four men’s Olympic medalists.

19. Michael Phelps’ career in photos on his 30th birthday

Jun 30, 2015, 8:10 AM EDT

Michael Phelps

Most decorated Olympian of all time turned 30 on Tuesday.