Brian Boitano says U.S. delegation has to be careful in Sochi (video)

Jan 2, 2014, 10:16 AM EDT

Olympic champion figure skater Brian Boitano expressed gratitude and caution in his first interview since being named to the White House delegation to Sochi and coming out as gay two weeks ago.

“When the president named the delegation, and I read in the news what his message was of tolerance and diversity, I thought I have to take this opportunity [to come out],” Boitano said on TODAY on Thursday. “I think the message is so strong, I’ve always wanted to represent my country as best I could. I knew that I had to go past my comfort zone and reveal a private side of my life that I had never done before because I felt that the message is so strong.”

Boitano and two other gay athletes — two-time Olympic hockey medalist Caitlin Cahow and tennis legend Billie Jean King — were among the delegation named by president Barack Obama on Dec. 17.

“I was so honored to be asked by the White House,” Boitano said. “Going through the whole vetting process and being named to the delegation, it was really interesting because I didn’t know who was going to be on the delegation or any part of it.”

He’s set to travel to Sochi the day before the Opening Ceremony. His actions will be scrutinized in Russia, where a law is in place banning the promotion of non-traditional sexual relations toward minors.

“I think that we have to be careful once we go over there,” Boitano said. “I think the statement is already being made by us being on the delegation — Billie Jean and Caitlin — and us standing together, united as gay people showing that there is freedom of speech and we are successful human beings and athletes. I think that speaks measures.”

Boitano urged freedom of expression for anybody in Sochi, though.

“I encourage everybody to do what they feel is best for themselves,” he said. “I never thought that I would be coming out in this way. In a matter of 10 hours, I decided to do it. That was what was right for me at this time. I tell everybody that I think that they should do what’s right for them at their correct time.”

Boitano, 50, came out publicly two days after he was named to the delegation. He said his life has changed and the reaction has been fantastic and supportive.

“I really never felt that I had to [come out publicly],” he said. “I’ve always been a private person. I’ve kept my private side of my life special for family and friends who really knew me. I’ve never been ashamed of who I was. I’ve always been open with them, so I really didn’t feel that there was a need. I’m just a private guy. I realize that there was a public side of my life and a private side. I’ve always chosen to keep my sexuality private.”

USA Hockey mistakenly tells 67-year-old Canadian he had shot at Olympics

Latest Posts
  1. Phil Dalhausser, Sean Rosenthal split

Jul 27, 2015, 11:28 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

An injury to Dalhausser spelled doom to their partnership.

2. Boston ends bid for 2024 Olympics; USOC wants another city

Jul 27, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Boston 2024

The 2024 bid race is down to four cities.

3. Kerri Walsh Jennings to return at World Series of Beach Volleyball in August

Jul 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The three-time Olympic champion hasn’t played since dislocating a shoulder July 10.

4. Olympic equestrian champ’s ban lifted in horse doping case

Jul 27, 2015, 4:36 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Steve Guerdat’s provisional ban was announced last Tuesday.

5. Boston mayor: Olympic bid won’t go forward if forced to sign contract today

Jul 27, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT

Boston 2024

Public support in Boston and Massachusetts has been less than 50 percent for months.

6. Nike makes Ashton Eaton a ‘cooling hood’

Jul 27, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT

Nike Cooling Mask Nike

“Why does it feel good, after running, to pour a bottle of water over your head?”

7. Can Tour de France stars contend for medals at 2016 Olympics?

Jul 27, 2015, 8:48 AM EDT

AP AP

The Rio Games open less than two weeks after the 2016 Tour de France ends.

8. U.S. women dominate en route to FIVB World Grand Prix title

Jul 27, 2015, 8:18 AM EDT

AP AP

The U.S. can achieve an Olympic first in Rio de Janeiro next year.

9. Bill May becomes first man to win World Synchronized Swimming Championship

Jul 27, 2015, 7:36 AM EDT

AP AP

May is a 36-year-old Cirque du Soleil performer who came out of a 10-year retirement.

10. Neymar: I told Barcelona I want to play in Rio Olympics

Jul 26, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Brazil’s coach has said Neymar’s Olympic participation is dependent on talks with Barcelona.

11. Michael Phelps: I’ve looked at my 22 medals together once or twice

Jul 26, 2015, 2:34 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

More highlights from Phelps’ Q&A at the Doha Goals Forum.

12. Simone Biles routs Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman at Secret Classic

Jul 25, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT

AP AP

Next up are the P&G Championships in three weeks.

13. Jennifer Wu makes 2016 U.S. Olympic team in table tennis

Jul 25, 2015, 7:06 PM EDT

AP AP

Wu is the second athlete to make the 2016 U.S. Olympic team across all sports.

14. Simone Biles as powerful as male gymnasts, Jonathan Horton says

Jul 25, 2015, 7:43 AM EDT

AP AP

“She is as dominant as any athlete in any sport,” USA Gymnastics president Steve Penny said.

15. Shawn Johnson engaged after throwing first pitch (video)

Jul 24, 2015, 7:09 PM EDT

Shawn Johnson, Andrew East

Johnson is at least the fourth member of the 2008 U.S. Olympic women’s gymnastics team to get engaged.

16. Usain Bolt returns with quick 100m wins in London

Jul 24, 2015, 5:22 PM EDT

AP AP

Less than a month until a showdown with Justin Gatlin at the World Championships.

17. Claressa Shields: I would fight Ronda Rousey

Jul 24, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

“I know for a fact I would beat her in boxing. That’s simple. But MMA?”

18. Tokyo 2020 Olympic emblem revealed

Jul 24, 2015, 9:26 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The emblem is based on three words.