Davis, Richardson win 1000m at speed skating trials; redemption for Garcia

Dec 29, 2013, 4:13 PM EST

Shani Davis AP

Shani Davis left no doubt in the 1000m Sunday, one day after a strange disqualification allowed him to qualify for the Olympics in the 500m.

Jonathan Garcia, whose personal best skate was wiped out because he didn’t wear ankle transponders Saturday, is also likely headed to the Sochi Olympics in the 1000m.

Davis won the 1000m at the U.S. Olympic Speed Skating Trials, clinching a berth in Sochi, where he could become the first American man to win a single Winter Olympic event three straight times. Davis took gold in the 1000m at the 2006 and 2010 Games.

Garcia was fourth in the 1000m, an event where the U.S. can send a maximum of four skaters to Sochi. His place on the U.S. Olympic Team is not yet assured, but he’s in a qualifying position. The full Olympic speed skating team is expected to be announced later this week.

Heather Richardson picked up her second win in as many days at the Utah Olympic Oval in Kearns, Utah, capturing the women’s 1000m ahead of Brittany Bowe. They also went one-two in the 500m on Saturday.

The U.S. Olympic Speed Skating Trials continue, after a day off, with the men’s and women’s 1500m on Tuesday. Davis, Richardson and Bowe are favorites in that distance, too.

Davis won the 1000m in 1 minute, 7.52 seconds. Brian Hansen was second in 1:07.53, followed by Joey Mantia (1:07.88) and Garcia (1:07.95).

Davis has won three of four World Cup 1000m races this season after taking third at the Sochi Olympic venue at the World Single Distance Championships on March 22. He and snowboarders Shaun White and Seth Wescott are vying to be the first American man to win a single Olympic event three times.

“I don’t allow it to weigh on me,” Davis said on NBC. “I simply want to go there, do my best. If I’m the best man that given day, I’ll be more than happy to take home a gold medal and add to my collection. If not, I tried my best, and that’s the best I can do.

“I think I’m skating pretty good. I think the best is still yet to come.”

On Saturday, Davis was fourth in the 500m but would have been outside of Olympic qualifying position if not for Garcia’s disqualification for not wearing ankle timing transponders.

Garcia, who would have originally been fourth, finished sixth in the 500m after his reskate. The U.S. can send a maximum of four men in the 500m and 1000m to the Olympics.

Garcia wore transponders Sunday, evidenced when he waved them in the air after he realized he finished fourth after the final pair crossed.

“I don’t think it’s set in yet,” said Garcia, who joked about his disqualification on NBC. “I didn’t really let it get to me. I was really surprised. Usually, stuff like that shakes me pretty well. But I didn’t really think about. In my mind, I truly believe that I made that [500m] team. I skated fast enough to be on the team. I left here yesterday feeling accomplished. I made it on my own speed. Not having my transponders yesterday didn’t affect my time.”

Hansen, a 2010 Olympian who was third in the 500m on Saturday, could also win a medal in Sochi. He took bronze behind Davis in the first two World Cup races this season.

Mantia, a former inline world champion, is also in the mix but may be better in the 1500m. He shaved .76 off his personal best in the 1000m on Sunday.

In the women’s race, Richardson (1:13.22) and Bowe (1:13.92) were followed by Sugar Todd and Kelly Gunther.

Richardson could take Olympic gold in this event given she’s won three of four World Cup races this year. Bowe took the fourth in a world-record time.

The U.S. has not won a women’s speed skating medal at the Olympics since 2002.

“I think it’s very likely to change,” Richardson said of the drought on NBC. “I think this is the piece to put the whole puzzle together in Sochi.”

Todd, who also qualified third in the 500m on Saturday, skated a personal best 1:15.72.

For fourth, Gunther edged three-time Olympian Elli Ochowicz with a personal best 1:16.43. Ochowicz was .08 slower, finishing fifth for the second straight day in two events where the U.S. can send a maximum of four women to Sochi.

Gunther agonizingly missed the 2010 Olympic team due to another skater’s reskate. One month after the Vancouver Games, she suffered a double compound fracture of a bone just below her left ankle in a skating crash at the Utah Olympic Oval. The cut was so deep, and there was so much blood, that there was concern she could lose her foot.

“I couldn’t even believe it,” Gunther said on NBC. “After everything I’ve been through, fighting back. My dream has always been to go to the Olympics.”

Shiffrin edged in Lienz slalom by record breaker

Latest Posts
  1. David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires

Mar 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EST

David Boudia Getty Images

The Olympic champion competes next week for the first time since July.

2. Pan American Games medals include Braille (photos)

Mar 3, 2015, 11:07 AM EST

Pan American Games medal

How do the versions for Toronto 2015 compare to previous Pan Am Games medals?

3. Fukushima, site of nuclear disaster, wants to host 2020 Olympic baseball

Mar 3, 2015, 10:27 AM EST

Fukushima Getty Images

Even if baseball is re-added to the Olympics, Fukushima might not be a logical choice to host games.

4. England FA hopes to qualify soccer teams for Rio Olympics

Mar 2, 2015, 4:59 PM EST

Team GB Getty Images

Team GB’s men and women were ousted in the 2012 Olympic quarterfinals.

5. Ronda Rousey should scare men’s fighters, Jay Glazer says (video)

Mar 2, 2015, 2:28 PM EST

Ronda Rousey Getty Images

The Olympic judo bronze medalist is compared to a former dominant heavyweight boxer.

6. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown

Mar 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Walsh Jennings also had breakfast with a beach legend in Rio de Janeiro.

7. South Africa 2024 Olympic bid ‘unrealistic,’ official says

Mar 2, 2015, 11:11 AM EST

South Africa flag Getty Images

IOC member and former South Africa Olympic Committee president previously said the nation was readying to bid.

8. Brittany Bowe sweeps at World Sprint Championships (video)

Mar 2, 2015, 10:21 AM EST

AP AP

Bowe skated with dominance not seen since 2003.

9. Lindsey Vonn lost in the fog in Bansko super combined

Mar 1, 2015, 8:31 AM EST

AP AP

Vonn will get another chance on Monday.

10. Ronda Rousey defends UFC title in 14 seconds

Mar 1, 2015, 12:05 AM EST

Ronda Rousey AP

Rousey is undefeated in 11 pro fights since winning Olympic judo bronze in 2008.

11. Elana Meyers Taylor wins historic bobsled World Championship (video)

Feb 28, 2015, 10:03 AM EST

Elana Meyers Taylor Getty Images

Meyers Taylor improved from silver medals at the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics.

12. Watch Rio Olympic Park transformation, timelapse videos

Feb 27, 2015, 3:55 PM EST

Rio Olympic Park

Rio government organization published two videos looking at the construction of Olympic Park.

13. Tour de France winner Vincenzo Nibali’s team may lose license

Feb 27, 2015, 2:22 PM EST

AP AP

Nibali might not be able to defend his Tour de France title as an Astana rider.

14. World’s most athletic couple takes the next leap

Feb 27, 2015, 12:52 PM EST

Ashton Eaton, Brianne Theisen Eaton AP

Ashton Eaton, Brianne Theisen-Eaton are taking different paths to potential gold in Rio.

15. IOC executive board proposes rule change for athletes, sponsors during Olympics

Feb 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EST

Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE

“Athletes have wanted this changed for a very long time. It’s been a very long discussion.”

16. Is Simone Biles unbeatable?

Feb 26, 2015, 4:48 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

U.S. Olympic legend said yes. Top U.S. gymnast says no.

17. Elana Meyers Taylor in line for history at bobsled World Championships

Feb 26, 2015, 10:48 AM EST

Elana Meyers Taylor Getty Images

Meanwhile, the Olympic champion is well back in Winterberg.

18. Bernard Lagat cancels farewell tour with Rio in mind

Feb 25, 2015, 3:34 PM EST

AP AP

“Would I really slow down that much that I wouldn’t make the (Olympic) team? I don’t think so.”