Dec 29, 2013, 7:57 AM EST
No date has been set for Lindsey Vonn‘s return to competition after her surgically repaired right knee swelled up after skiing out of a downhill race in Val d’Isere, France, on Dec. 21.
Vonn is working with her own team and medical staff to get the swelling under control, U.S. Ski Team coach Alex Hoedlmoser told The Associated Press.
“There is no decision yet if, or where she is going to race ahead of the Olympics,” Hoedlmoser told the AP.
The next possible World Cup race Vonn could enter is a downhill in Altenmarkt, Austria, on Jan. 11.
“She has indicated she might consider racing Cortina [d’Ampezzo, Italy, Jan. 18-19], but it’s too early to say that she’s going to,” Hoedlmoser said, according to the AP. “Maybe she won’t race at all if she feels she can do without another race in her preparation for Sochi. I think she’s handling it well and she’s determined to race in Sochi.”
The last speed race before the Olympics is a super-G in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany, on Jan. 26.
The Olympic downhill is Feb. 12. The Olympic super-G is Feb. 15. Vonn won gold and bronze, respectively, in those races at the Vancouver Olympics.
Vonn has not commented on her status since Dec. 21.
“I didn’t hurt myself more than I’m already hurt,” Vonn said after skiing out in Val d’Isere, according to The Associated Press. “It was a small compression, and it was fully loaded on the right ski and my knee just completely gave out. I tried to pressure the ski again and it gave out again. I had no chance of making that gate, unfortunately.”
At the time, Vonn thought her next race would be “sometime in January.”
“I’m at risk of doing more damage to my knee and my meniscus,” she said in Val d’Isere. “So I’m going to play it safe and race really minimal races. Probably one or two before the Olympics.”
- Lindsey Vonn wins cow in Val d’Isere, one victory from record 0
- Michael Phelps gets probation after guilty plea in DUI case 5
- Stephen Colbert and the Olympics 0
- U.S. will bid for 2024 Olympics, no city chosen yet 6
- Adrian Peterson won’t try for Olympics, but other RBs might 2
- Rio Olympic track and field schedule released 1
- Rome to bid for 2024 Olympics, possible events in Vatican City 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)