Dec 19, 2013, 10:07 AM EDT
Tonga is going to the Sochi Olympics.
Luger Bruno Banani has officially qualified for the Games now that the final World Cup event of the Olympic qualification season has passed, according to the Telegraph. Banani, 26, is ranked No. 44 in this season’s overall standings.
Banani gained a bit of infamy in January-February 2012, when the story of his name was widely publicized. Banani’s real name is Fuahea Semi, but he changed it to the name of his German clothing sponsor as a marketing ploy.
Tonga has competed at every Summer Olympics since 1984 but never a Winter Games, according to sports-reference.com. It includes one medalist among 31 Olympians, 1996 Atlanta Olympic super heavyweight boxing silver medalist Paea Wolfgramm.
Wolfgramm, nicknamed the “Tongan Warrior,” made a surprising run to the gold-medal bout, where he was beaten by Wladimir Klitschko.
- Maria Hoefl-Riesch crashes in World Cup Finals downhill 0
- Ted Ligety stuns in World Cup Finals downhill; new overall leader 0
- Alpine Skiing World Cup Finals preview 0
- President Obama sends beer to Canadian prime minister to settle Olympic bet 2
- Boston Marathon announces increased security 0
- Oscar Pistorius vomits, cries during autopsy testimony 1
- Yuna Kim to skate in ‘retirement event’ 1