Dec 19, 2013, 10:07 AM EDT
Tonga is going to the Sochi Olympics.
Luger Bruno Banani has officially qualified for the Games now that the final World Cup event of the Olympic qualification season has passed, according to the Telegraph. Banani, 26, is ranked No. 44 in this season’s overall standings.
Banani gained a bit of infamy in January-February 2012, when the story of his name was widely publicized. Banani’s real name is Fuahea Semi, but he changed it to the name of his German clothing sponsor as a marketing ploy.
Tonga has competed at every Summer Olympics since 1984 but never a Winter Games, according to sports-reference.com. It includes one medalist among 31 Olympians, 1996 Atlanta Olympic super heavyweight boxing silver medalist Paea Wolfgramm.
Wolfgramm, nicknamed the “Tongan Warrior,” made a surprising run to the gold-medal bout, where he was beaten by Wladimir Klitschko.
- Boston Marathon tribute, moment of silence held near finish line 0
- Can Michael Phelps excel in comeback? 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ cross-examination ends at murder trial 2
- Boston Marathon tragedy remembered on anniversary 0
- Michael Phelps coming out of retirement 7
- How Michael Phelps spent his retirement (photos) 0
- Oscar Pistorius emotionally breaks down as prosecution alleges inconsistencies 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (55)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (46)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (36)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)