Dec 19, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Lindsey Vonn was in podium form in her second downhill training run in Val d’Isere, France, on Thursday.
The Olympic downhill champion was the second fastest woman, .04 behind Swiss Dominique Gisin. Vonn, 29, was 12th in the first training run Wednesday. There is one more day of training Friday before Saturday’s official downhill race.
“I’m happy with my skiing today, but I can still make some adjustments with my line,” Vonn said, according to the U.S. Ski Team.
Vonn, 29, returned from major right knee injuries in Lake Louise, Alberta, two weeks ago and competed in three races, improving each day with a 40th and an 11th in downhills and a fifth in a super-G.
She told reporters after her final race there that she might race one or two more times before the Olympics in February.
“I want to make sure I at least get on the podium once, if not win before going into Sochi,” she said Dec. 8. “For me mentally I really want to have that in my back pocket.”
If Vonn races a World Cup again after Val d’Isere, it likely would not come until January because there are no speed races the rest of 2013.
There are downhills in Altenmarkt, Austria; Cortina d’Ampezzo, Italy; and Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany, on consecutive weekends beginning Jan. 11.
Vonn has competed at Val d’Isere once since 2010, but her track record there is spectacular. She’s about half of her races there, including World Championships in the downhill and super-G in 2009.
- Lindsey Vonn set for first skiing in 10 months, named 2016 Youth Olympics ambassador 0
- Talk of a sub-two-hour marathon 2
- Dennis Kimetto breaks world record at Berlin Marathon (video) 0
- IOC adds anti-discrimination clause to Olympic host city contract 0
- Michael Phelps, Katie Ledecky lead Golden Goggles nominees 0
- U.S. women can clinch Olympic berth; FIBA World Championships preview 0
- Olympic women’s bobsled medalists eager to race 4-man 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)