Dec 19, 2013, 10:35 AM EST
US Biathlon announced first-time Olympians Leif Nordgren and Annelies Cook as the fourth and fifth members of its Olympic Team on Thursday.
Nordgren, 24, joins three-time U.S. Olympians Tim Burke and Lowell Bailey in going to Sochi. Burke and Bailey were nominated to the U.S. Olympic Team in November. US Biathlon is expected to announced up to two more men to join them in Sochi in January.
“I’m not sure it’s still really sunk in yet, but I’m pretty excited,” said Nordgren, according to US Biathlon. “I tried not to think about the qualification process too much this last trimester, but I definitely couldn’t help myself sometimes.”
Cook, 29, joins another first-time Olympian, Susan Dunklee, who was nominated to the U.S. Olympic Team in November. US Biathlon is expected to announce up to three women to join them in Sochi in January.
“I am very relieved to be named to the Olympic Team; it is something I have dreamed of since I was a kid,” said Cook, according to US Biathlon. “It hasn’t really sunk in yet, and I think I will be most excited when the entire team is named and we can look forward to it together.”
The U.S. has never won an Olympic biathlon medal.
- U.S. aerialists, elementary school classmates, sweep World Cup titles 0
- Michael Phelps may be reinstated for World Championships, report says 0
- David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown 1
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Marcel Hirscher’s historically dominant win just about ends Ted Ligety’s title hopes (video) 0
- Lindsey Vonn lost in the fog in Bansko super combined 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)