Brian Boitano announces he’s gay after being named to Sochi delegation

Dec 19, 2013, 1:03 PM EST

Brian Boitano Getty Images

Olympic figure skating champion Brian Boitano came out in a statement Thursday, two days after being named as part of a White House delegation to the Sochi Olympics that includes two other openly gay athletes.

“Being gay is just one part of who I am,” Boitano said in a statement from his publicist.

Boitano, 50, won the 1988 Olympic figure skating title.

He is on the delegation to Sochi along with openly gay American athletes two-time Olympic hockey medalist Caitlin Cahow and tennis legend Billie Jean King.

U.S. Olympic Team roster so far

Here’s Boitano’s full statement from his publicist:

I am currently skating in Europe but want to provide a statement regarding my appointment to the Olympic delegation. I have been fortunate to represent the United States of America in three different Olympics, and now I am honored to be part of the presidential delegation to the Olympics in Sochi. It has been my experience from competing around the world and in Russia that Olympic athletes can come together in friendship, peace and mutual respect regardless of their individual country’s practices.

It is my desire to be defined by my achievements and my contributions. While I am proud to play a public role in representing the American Olympic Delegation as a former Olympic athlete, I have always reserved my private life for my family and friends and will continue to do so. I am many things: a son, a brother, and uncle, a friend, an athlete, a cook, an author, and being gay is just one part of who I am. First and foremost I am an American athlete and I am proud to live in a country that encourages diversity, openness and tolerance. As an athlete, I hope we can remain focused on the Olympic spirit which celebrates achievement in sport by peoples of all nations.

Also on the delegation are five-time U.S. Olympic champion speedskaters Bonnie Blair and Eric Heiden.

Video: Cahow discusses being on Sochi delegation

Latest Posts
  1. David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires

Mar 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EST

David Boudia Getty Images

The Olympic champion competes next week for the first time since July.

2. Pan American Games medals include Braille (photos)

Mar 3, 2015, 11:07 AM EST

Pan American Games medal

How do the versions for Toronto 2015 compare to previous Pan Am Games medals?

3. Fukushima, site of nuclear disaster, wants to host 2020 Olympic baseball

Mar 3, 2015, 10:27 AM EST

Fukushima Getty Images

Even if baseball is re-added to the Olympics, Fukushima might not be a logical choice to host games.

4. England FA hopes to qualify soccer teams for Rio Olympics

Mar 2, 2015, 4:59 PM EST

Team GB Getty Images

Team GB’s men and women were ousted in the 2012 Olympic quarterfinals.

5. Ronda Rousey should scare men’s fighters, Jay Glazer says (video)

Mar 2, 2015, 2:28 PM EST

Ronda Rousey Getty Images

The Olympic judo bronze medalist is compared to a former dominant heavyweight boxer.

6. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown

Mar 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Walsh Jennings also had breakfast with a beach legend in Rio de Janeiro.

7. South Africa 2024 Olympic bid ‘unrealistic,’ official says

Mar 2, 2015, 11:11 AM EST

South Africa flag Getty Images

IOC member and former South Africa Olympic Committee president previously said the nation was readying to bid.

8. Brittany Bowe sweeps at World Sprint Championships (video)

Mar 2, 2015, 10:21 AM EST

AP AP

Bowe skated with dominance not seen since 2003.

9. Lindsey Vonn lost in the fog in Bansko super combined

Mar 1, 2015, 8:31 AM EST

AP AP

Vonn will get another chance on Monday.

10. Ronda Rousey defends UFC title in 14 seconds

Mar 1, 2015, 12:05 AM EST

Ronda Rousey AP

Rousey is undefeated in 11 pro fights since winning Olympic judo bronze in 2008.

11. Elana Meyers Taylor wins historic bobsled World Championship (video)

Feb 28, 2015, 10:03 AM EST

Elana Meyers Taylor Getty Images

Meyers Taylor improved from silver medals at the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics.

12. Watch Rio Olympic Park transformation, timelapse videos

Feb 27, 2015, 3:55 PM EST

Rio Olympic Park

Rio government organization published two videos looking at the construction of Olympic Park.

13. Tour de France winner Vincenzo Nibali’s team may lose license

Feb 27, 2015, 2:22 PM EST

AP AP

Nibali might not be able to defend his Tour de France title as an Astana rider.

14. World’s most athletic couple takes the next leap

Feb 27, 2015, 12:52 PM EST

Ashton Eaton, Brianne Theisen Eaton AP

Ashton Eaton, Brianne Theisen-Eaton are taking different paths to potential gold in Rio.

15. IOC executive board proposes rule change for athletes, sponsors during Olympics

Feb 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EST

Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE

“Athletes have wanted this changed for a very long time. It’s been a very long discussion.”

16. Is Simone Biles unbeatable?

Feb 26, 2015, 4:48 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

U.S. Olympic legend said yes. Top U.S. gymnast says no.

17. Elana Meyers Taylor in line for history at bobsled World Championships

Feb 26, 2015, 10:48 AM EST

Elana Meyers Taylor Getty Images

Meanwhile, the Olympic champion is well back in Winterberg.

18. Bernard Lagat cancels farewell tour with Rio in mind

Feb 25, 2015, 3:34 PM EST

AP AP

“Would I really slow down that much that I wouldn’t make the (Olympic) team? I don’t think so.”