Brian Boitano announces he’s gay after being named to Sochi delegation

Dec 19, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT

Brian Boitano Getty Images

Olympic figure skating champion Brian Boitano came out in a statement Thursday, two days after being named as part of a White House delegation to the Sochi Olympics that includes two other openly gay athletes.

“Being gay is just one part of who I am,” Boitano said in a statement from his publicist.

Boitano, 50, won the 1988 Olympic figure skating title.

He is on the delegation to Sochi along with openly gay American athletes two-time Olympic hockey medalist Caitlin Cahow and tennis legend Billie Jean King.

U.S. Olympic Team roster so far

Here’s Boitano’s full statement from his publicist:

I am currently skating in Europe but want to provide a statement regarding my appointment to the Olympic delegation. I have been fortunate to represent the United States of America in three different Olympics, and now I am honored to be part of the presidential delegation to the Olympics in Sochi. It has been my experience from competing around the world and in Russia that Olympic athletes can come together in friendship, peace and mutual respect regardless of their individual country’s practices.

It is my desire to be defined by my achievements and my contributions. While I am proud to play a public role in representing the American Olympic Delegation as a former Olympic athlete, I have always reserved my private life for my family and friends and will continue to do so. I am many things: a son, a brother, and uncle, a friend, an athlete, a cook, an author, and being gay is just one part of who I am. First and foremost I am an American athlete and I am proud to live in a country that encourages diversity, openness and tolerance. As an athlete, I hope we can remain focused on the Olympic spirit which celebrates achievement in sport by peoples of all nations.

Also on the delegation are five-time U.S. Olympic champion speedskaters Bonnie Blair and Eric Heiden.

Video: Cahow discusses being on Sochi delegation

Latest Posts
  1. Vitaly Scherbo weighs in on Kohei Uchimura

Apr 20, 2015, 3:14 PM EDT

Vitaly Scherbo Getty Images

“To become one of greatest gymnasts of all time, you have to have a little bit more.”

2. Usain Bolt runs his slowest 100m final ever; Brazil TV simulates Bolt’s dream 100m race

Apr 20, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Getty Images

Bolt picked two sprinters across history he would like to race against.

3. Olympic champion Amaury Leveaux says French swimmers used cocaine

Apr 20, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT

Amaury Leveaux

Leveaux details his claim in an upcoming autobiography.

4. Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte split duels in Mesa

Apr 18, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT

AP AP

Katie Ledecky also flirted with a world record.

5. Boston Marathon preview: Can Meb Keflezighi repeat?

Apr 18, 2015, 10:17 AM EDT

Meb Keflezighi AP

The U.S. appears to have a better shot in the women’s race.

6. Michael Phelps jokingly challenges Katie Ledecky to race

Apr 18, 2015, 9:09 AM EDT

AP AP

Phelps has raced against a record-breaking woman before.

7. Debbie Phelps texted Michael Phelps about Rio 2016 years ago (video)

Apr 17, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT

Debbie Phelps Getty Images

“I’m like, Michael, 2016, Rio, 50 free, 100 free, just a relay.”

8. Michael Phelps, Katie Ledecky tie in 400m freestyle

Apr 17, 2015, 3:06 PM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

The finals are at 9 p.m. ET on Universal Sports.

9. Yevgeny Plushenko to return to figure skating competition

Apr 17, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT

Evgeni Plushenko AP

Plushenko wants to compete in a fifth Olympics in 2018.

10. St. Louis Marathon disqualifies woman who crossed finish line first

Apr 17, 2015, 10:29 AM EDT

St. Louis Marathon

It took organizers about 20 minutes to figure out what happened Sunday.

11. Michael Phelps back with ‘OK’ victory in Mesa

Apr 17, 2015, 8:42 AM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Phelps outdueled Ryan Lochte, but he was slower than last year.

12. Michael Phelps could be offered World Championships spot by FINA

Apr 16, 2015, 3:16 PM EDT

AP AP

If Phelps is added by FINA, the U.S. might be able to try for podium sweeps at the World Championships.

13. Michael Phelps fastest in first race since August

Apr 16, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT

AP AP

Phelps and Ryan Lochte appear headed for a showdown Thursday night.

14. Andrew Wiggins to play for Canada in Olympic qualifying

Apr 16, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT

Andrew Wiggins Getty Images

Canada has a shot to qualify for its first Olympics since 2000.

15. Aaron Cook, top-ranked taekwondo fighter, switches from Great Britain to Moldova

Apr 16, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

“There is no legitimate case for nationality change,” a British official said.

16. Eugene gets 2021 World Track and Field Championships

Apr 16, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT

Prefontaine Classic Getty Images

See Eugene’s bid video for 2019 that failed to get a taste of what Worlds will be like in the U.S.