Brian Boitano announces he’s gay after being named to Sochi delegation

Dec 19, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT

Brian Boitano Getty Images

Olympic figure skating champion Brian Boitano came out in a statement Thursday, two days after being named as part of a White House delegation to the Sochi Olympics that includes two other openly gay athletes.

“Being gay is just one part of who I am,” Boitano said in a statement from his publicist.

Boitano, 50, won the 1988 Olympic figure skating title.

He is on the delegation to Sochi along with openly gay American athletes two-time Olympic hockey medalist Caitlin Cahow and tennis legend Billie Jean King.

U.S. Olympic Team roster so far

Here’s Boitano’s full statement from his publicist:

I am currently skating in Europe but want to provide a statement regarding my appointment to the Olympic delegation. I have been fortunate to represent the United States of America in three different Olympics, and now I am honored to be part of the presidential delegation to the Olympics in Sochi. It has been my experience from competing around the world and in Russia that Olympic athletes can come together in friendship, peace and mutual respect regardless of their individual country’s practices.

It is my desire to be defined by my achievements and my contributions. While I am proud to play a public role in representing the American Olympic Delegation as a former Olympic athlete, I have always reserved my private life for my family and friends and will continue to do so. I am many things: a son, a brother, and uncle, a friend, an athlete, a cook, an author, and being gay is just one part of who I am. First and foremost I am an American athlete and I am proud to live in a country that encourages diversity, openness and tolerance. As an athlete, I hope we can remain focused on the Olympic spirit which celebrates achievement in sport by peoples of all nations.

Also on the delegation are five-time U.S. Olympic champion speedskaters Bonnie Blair and Eric Heiden.

Video: Cahow discusses being on Sochi delegation

Latest Posts
  1. Watch NBC Olympics one year from Rio 2016 promo video

Aug 3, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT

Rio 2016

The Olympics open on Aug. 5, 2016.

2. Triathletes’ reactions to Rio Olympic water venue after test event

Aug 3, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT

AP AP

“We swim in waters all around the world, and this was no different from anywhere else,” Gwen Jorgensen said.

3. Misty May-Treanor competes for first time in 3 years, not a comeback

Aug 3, 2015, 2:51 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

May-Treanor retired after the London Olympics and had a baby.

4. David Boudia earns another World Diving Championships silver

Aug 3, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

AP AP

Boudia trounced one Chinese star but was beaten by a longtime rival.

5. Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships

Aug 2, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT

Katie Ledecky Getty Images

Also, a U.S. Olympic champion’s world record was broken in a semifinal.

6. Ronda Rousey knocks out Bethe Correia in 34 seconds

Aug 2, 2015, 1:28 AM EDT

AP AP

Rousey is a 2008 Olympic judo bronze medalist.

7. World Swimming Championships men’s preview

Jul 31, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT

Ryan Lochte Getty Images

Action gets started Sunday in Kazan.

8. USOC collecting data on polluted Rio Olympic water venues

Jul 30, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT

AP AP

A US Sailing official maintained his stance on the Rio water from last year.

9. Which Miracle on Ice item is the toughest for Jim Craig to sell? (video)

Jul 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT

Jim Craig AP

Watch the goalie’s interview on The Dan Patrick Show.

10. British Athletics clears Mo Farah after investigation

Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

AP AP

Farah was to have “blood data, supplements data, everything surrounding his medical treatment” investigated.

11. World Swimming Championships broadcast schedule

Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

NBC, NBC Sports Live Extra and Universal Sports will combine for daily coverage.

12. Almaty or Beijing? IOC set to choose 2022 Winter Olympic host

Jul 30, 2015, 8:08 AM EDT

Sochi Olympics Biathlon AP

Either way, the vote will mark an Olympic first.

13. Allyson Felix to run 400m at World Championships

Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT

AP AP

Felix will be absent from the 200m at Worlds for the first time since 2001.

14. Simone Biles turns pro

Jul 29, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT

AP AP

Biles won’t be eligible to compete collegiately.