Dec 17, 2013, 11:29 AM EST
Heather Mills, the former model and ex-wife of Paul McCartney, gave up hope of skiing in the Sochi 2014 Paralympics due to injury and equipment problems.
Mills, 45, had her left leg amputated below the knee in 1993 after a collision with a police motorcycle. She married McCartney in 2000, and the couple divorced in 2008.
She joined the British development ski team in 2010 and won a silver medal in an international event in New Zealand in August.
Mills gave up hope one day after IPC Skiing, the sport’s international governing body, informed the British team that Mills’ equipment needed to be amended before she could compete again, according to the BBC.
- David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown 1
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Marcel Hirscher’s historically dominant win just about ends Ted Ligety’s title hopes (video) 0
- Lindsey Vonn lost in the fog in Bansko super combined 0
- Elana Meyers Taylor wins historic bobsled World Championship (video) 1
- World’s most athletic couple takes the next leap 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)