Dec 15, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT
Three-time Olympic ski jumping champion Thomas Morgenstern was helicoptered to a hospital with facial injuries after a nasty crash in Titisee-Neustadt, Germany, on Sunday.
The Austrian Morgenstern, who won two gold medals in 2006 and one in 2010, landed with his skis touching at a World Cup event. They quickly spread apart with his left ski stretching behind him and coming unhitched (video here).
Morgenstern then fell to the snow as he was still rapidly skiing forward. He tried to break the fall with his arms, but his head and helmet slammed to the ground. His right ski came unhitched, too, and he continued tumbling down the hill.
He was put on a stretcher and carried off the course.
The initial diagnosis was a fracture of his right little finger, heavy bruises cuts and abrasions, according to the International Ski Federation (FIS).
“I only remember how Klitschko started to punch,” Morgenstern said in a statement, according to FIS, perhaps referencing Ukrainian heavyweight boxing champions Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko. “Then the lights went out. I feel pretty strong pain all over my body, but I hope it’s nothing really serious. But I think that the next days might get pretty hard.”
Morgenstern won Saturday’s event and is in sixth in the World Cup standings behind leader and countryman Gregor Schlierenzauer.
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired 0
- Simone Biles still buzzing after World Championships whirlwind 0
- Gracie Gold calls audible, adds lyrics for post-Olympic season 0
- Meryl Davis, Charlie White look to uncertain future in ice dancing 0
- U.S. women’s volleyball wins breakthrough World Championship (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)