Dec 15, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT
Steve Holcomb‘s seventh straight victory to start the World Cup season was his closest yet.
The Olympic champion won a four-man race in Lake Placid, N.Y., with a two-run time of 1 minute, 50.15 seconds on Sunday.
Holcomb, with his usual crew of Curt Tomasevicz, Steve Langton and Chris Fogt, held off Great Britain’s John Jackson by .07 to remain perfect this season. German Thomas Florschuetz was third.
Holcomb is the first driver to win at least seven races in one season since German Andre Lange won eight in 2003-04, according to Infostrada.
Holcomb won every North American race this World Cup season in Calgary, Alberta, Park City, Utah, and Lake Placid. The tour moves to Europe beginning with races in Winterberg, Germany, in January.
“If you told me that I would have won everything a month ago, I would have thought you were crazy,” Holcomb said, according to a press release. “It is surreal and a little overwhelming.”
Holcomb hasn’t won a World Cup race outside of North America in nearly four years. He must provide more podium results in Germany, Switzerland and Austria to cement Olympic gold-medal-favorite status.
Great Britain won its first World Cup bobsled medal since January 2009.
Lake Placid Four-Man Bobsled
1. Steve Holcomb (USA) 1:50.15
2. John Jackson (GBR) 1:50.22
3. Thomas Florschuetz (GER) 1:50.40
15. Cory Butner (USA) 1:51.21
17. Nick Cunningham (USA) 1:51.31
Mar 28, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
“I don’t know if it’s going to ever happen again.”
Mar 28, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
Next year, Tuktamysheva can go for a feat not seen since 2001.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
The U.S. has a new former NHL player as head coach, is missing a major Sochi star and hopes to end a losing streak to Canada.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
The Olympic champions are slated to compete for the first time since London 2012 this weekend.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT
The U.S. men are unlikely to secure three spots for the 2016 World Championships.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:53 AM EDT
A French couple became the youngest World champions in 40 years.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:14 AM EDT
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva landed a triple Axel in one of the greatest short programs of all time.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
The last time Canada won a World title in pairs was before the 2002 judging scandal.
Mar 25, 2015, 9:44 AM EDT
A slight improvement could mark the best U.S. pairs finishes since 2002.
Mar 25, 2015, 9:13 AM EDT
Bolt’s last appearance in New York produced his first world record.
Mar 25, 2015, 8:53 AM EDT
The Olympians could become the second U.S. ice dance couple to win a World Championship.
Mar 24, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
The Olympic and World champion returns to the site of a bloody collision.
Mar 24, 2015, 10:11 AM EDT
Boston will not move forward with an Olympic bid if a majority of state and city residents don’t support it.
Mar 24, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Olympians Erin Hamlin, Chris Mazdzer star in an inside look at the sport.
Mar 24, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
Tuesday marked 500 days out from the Rio Olympic Opening Ceremony.
Mar 23, 2015, 5:50 PM EDT
Three U.S. women have a shot at the podium, and an American ice dance couple could win gold.
Mar 23, 2015, 2:22 PM EDT
Both skiers may look to branch out next season.
Mar 23, 2015, 1:28 PM EDT
Park tested positive for testosterone on Sept. 3.
Mar 23, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
Plus, what’s at stake for U.S. skaters in Shanghai.
Mar 23, 2015, 11:14 AM EDT
The oldest competitor at USATF Masters Indoors wants to run a 100m at age 100 at the Penn Relays.
- Javier Fernandez wins upset World Championship; top American fourth 0
- Elizaveta Tuktamysheva wins World Championship; U.S. just misses medals 0
- How to watch Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman’s comeback gymnastics meet 0
- Yuzuru Hanyu tops World Championships short program; Jason Brown leads Americans 0
- U.S. women struggle, trail Russian brilliance after World Championships short program 2
- Canadians win World pairs title; best U.S. finish since 2011 0
- Usain Bolt to race individually in U.S. for first time since 2008 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)