Dec 15, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT
Steve Holcomb‘s seventh straight victory to start the World Cup season was his closest yet.
The Olympic champion won a four-man race in Lake Placid, N.Y., with a two-run time of 1 minute, 50.15 seconds on Sunday.
Holcomb, with his usual crew of Curt Tomasevicz, Steve Langton and Chris Fogt, held off Great Britain’s John Jackson by .07 to remain perfect this season. German Thomas Florschuetz was third.
Holcomb is the first driver to win at least seven races in one season since German Andre Lange won eight in 2003-04, according to Infostrada.
Holcomb won every North American race this World Cup season in Calgary, Alberta, Park City, Utah, and Lake Placid. The tour moves to Europe beginning with races in Winterberg, Germany, in January.
“If you told me that I would have won everything a month ago, I would have thought you were crazy,” Holcomb said, according to a press release. “It is surreal and a little overwhelming.”
Holcomb hasn’t won a World Cup race outside of North America in nearly four years. He must provide more podium results in Germany, Switzerland and Austria to cement Olympic gold-medal-favorite status.
Great Britain won its first World Cup bobsled medal since January 2009.
Lake Placid Four-Man Bobsled
1. Steve Holcomb (USA) 1:50.15
2. John Jackson (GBR) 1:50.22
3. Thomas Florschuetz (GER) 1:50.40
15. Cory Butner (USA) 1:51.21
17. Nick Cunningham (USA) 1:51.31
Aug 30, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT
American overcame a 69-second deficit, passing 19 women on the 10km run to cap dominating season.
Aug 29, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
Olympic champion cites “medical reasons” hours before weigh-in.
Aug 29, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Statistically, the U.S. might be better off not winning in Spain in the Olympic scope.
Aug 29, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
Olympic champion missed 2013 Worlds after knee surgery.
Aug 29, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
An accountant five years ago, triathlete is dominating after Olympic disappointment.
Aug 28, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Allyson Felix, David Rudisha beaten in first of two Diamond League finals meets.
Aug 28, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Steen and Peder Mondrup completed the Ironman Copenhagen in 15 hours.
Aug 28, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
Olympic Flag handed over to Buenos Aires, host of 2018 Youth Olympics.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
Officials looking for 70,000 people over the Olympics and Paralympics.
Aug 27, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
Chinese basketball star also updates on what he’s been doing in retirement.
Aug 27, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
IOC president sits down with Lewis Johnson at Youth Olympics.
Aug 27, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
How can we apply the results looking ahead to the Rio Olympics?
Aug 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Diamond Races up for grabs, plus Gay vs. Powell in the 100m.
Aug 27, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
Stevenson has unprecedented junior credentials for a U.S. boxer.
Aug 26, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT
Comoros, British Virgin Islands, Romania join together in track and field finale.
Aug 26, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Olympic ice dancing silver medalist tries out non-Olympic sports.
Aug 26, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
German, British, Dutch dressage teams win medals at World Equestrian Games.
Aug 26, 2014, 10:07 AM EDT
Americans complete dominating 13-game run.
Aug 25, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Le Clos won five medals at the 2010 Youth Olympics before shocking the most decorated Olympian ever in London.
Aug 25, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Even his coach doubted him, but Jonathan Horton made good on a December vow.
- Gwen Jorgensen wins World Championship in triathlon 0
- How the FIBA World Cup impacts the Olympics 0
- Gwen Jorgensen’s glory awaits in Edmonton 0
- Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video) 0
- Youth Olympics wrap with Closing Ceremony, Lionel Messi cameo (photos) 0
- U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds 0
- Zurich Diamond League final preview 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)