Dec 15, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT
Steve Holcomb‘s seventh straight victory to start the World Cup season was his closest yet.
The Olympic champion won a four-man race in Lake Placid, N.Y., with a two-run time of 1 minute, 50.15 seconds on Sunday.
Holcomb, with his usual crew of Curt Tomasevicz, Steve Langton and Chris Fogt, held off Great Britain’s John Jackson by .07 to remain perfect this season. German Thomas Florschuetz was third.
Holcomb is the first driver to win at least seven races in one season since German Andre Lange won eight in 2003-04, according to Infostrada.
Holcomb won every North American race this World Cup season in Calgary, Alberta, Park City, Utah, and Lake Placid. The tour moves to Europe beginning with races in Winterberg, Germany, in January.
“If you told me that I would have won everything a month ago, I would have thought you were crazy,” Holcomb said, according to a press release. “It is surreal and a little overwhelming.”
Holcomb hasn’t won a World Cup race outside of North America in nearly four years. He must provide more podium results in Germany, Switzerland and Austria to cement Olympic gold-medal-favorite status.
Great Britain won its first World Cup bobsled medal since January 2009.
Lake Placid Four-Man Bobsled
1. Steve Holcomb (USA) 1:50.15
2. John Jackson (GBR) 1:50.22
3. Thomas Florschuetz (GER) 1:50.40
15. Cory Butner (USA) 1:51.21
17. Nick Cunningham (USA) 1:51.31
Oct 25, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
Miller, 37, had documented back problems in the offseason.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT
Olympic slalom champion and World Cup overall champion have matching times.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
Machida can become first repeat Skate America men’s winner since 2001.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Austrian eyes history, while Ted Ligety, Bode Miller look to fill resume holes.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:42 AM EDT
New rule allows women to compete in four-man bobsled this year.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT
Sochi disappointment gave Davis a deeper appreciation for past success going into post-Olympic season.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT
Felix came back from torn hamstring to post the fastest 200m time since the London Olympics.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
Several U.S. Olympians dot the field in Grand Prix series opener.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
Pistorius is banned from competing during his sentence, even if not in jail, by Paralympic and South African Olympic Committees.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
Expect to see more of Mikaela Shiffrin and Lindsey Vonn than last year, but neither appears a threat to the world’s best overall skier.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:49 AM EDT
Kosovo, which gained independence from Serbia in 2008, could field an Olympic delegation for the first time in 2016.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
Gardner’s Olympic medals were sold last year.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
Olympic ski slopestyle champion also needed rabies shots after dog bite.
Oct 22, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
Kosovo has never competed at the Olympics as an independent nation.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
Vincenzo Nibali, Chris Froome, Alberto Contador have mixed opinions.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
Team will make its season debut with Skate America this weekend.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Zubkov, 40, had already said he wouldn’t compete this season.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
Tarmoh was part of the infamous tie at the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
Kosovo has yet to field a delegation at the Olympics.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
Film documenting Missy Franklin’s lead-up to London debuts next month.
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins her first World Cup giant slalom in Soelden tie (video) 0
- Alpine skiing men’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski preview Skate America 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ agent seeks prison meeting to discuss running future 1
- Alpine skiing women’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski, Terry Gannon named NBC’s lead figure skating announcers 0
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 4
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)