Dec 15, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT
Steve Holcomb‘s seventh straight victory to start the World Cup season was his closest yet.
The Olympic champion won a four-man race in Lake Placid, N.Y., with a two-run time of 1 minute, 50.15 seconds on Sunday.
Holcomb, with his usual crew of Curt Tomasevicz, Steve Langton and Chris Fogt, held off Great Britain’s John Jackson by .07 to remain perfect this season. German Thomas Florschuetz was third.
Holcomb is the first driver to win at least seven races in one season since German Andre Lange won eight in 2003-04, according to Infostrada.
Holcomb won every North American race this World Cup season in Calgary, Alberta, Park City, Utah, and Lake Placid. The tour moves to Europe beginning with races in Winterberg, Germany, in January.
“If you told me that I would have won everything a month ago, I would have thought you were crazy,” Holcomb said, according to a press release. “It is surreal and a little overwhelming.”
Holcomb hasn’t won a World Cup race outside of North America in nearly four years. He must provide more podium results in Germany, Switzerland and Austria to cement Olympic gold-medal-favorite status.
Great Britain won its first World Cup bobsled medal since January 2009.
Lake Placid Four-Man Bobsled
1. Steve Holcomb (USA) 1:50.15
2. John Jackson (GBR) 1:50.22
3. Thomas Florschuetz (GER) 1:50.40
15. Cory Butner (USA) 1:51.21
17. Nick Cunningham (USA) 1:51.31
May 6, 2015, 9:51 AM EDT
Canadians must return for 2016-17 if they are to come back at all, according to report.
May 6, 2015, 9:34 AM EDT
Russia is focused on another major sporting event.
May 6, 2015, 9:19 AM EDT
Kerri Walsh Jennings also wants to have another child, after the Rio Games.
May 6, 2015, 9:07 AM EDT
NBC Sports and NBCOlympics.com combined for seven Sports Emmys for Sochi presentation.
May 6, 2015, 8:53 AM EDT
Watch the resourceful video from the 2008 gold medalist.
May 5, 2015, 2:23 PM EDT
Miller also said the Magnificent Seven is planning its 20-year anniversary.
May 5, 2015, 12:52 PM EDT
Three-time World champion explained why he’s returning to competition.
May 5, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
Woods also compared Olympic golf to Olympic tennis.
May 5, 2015, 8:39 AM EDT
“This is just the beginning.”
May 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
Liukin could be very busy during Indy 500 week with another competition.
May 4, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
The U.S. only has one Olympian on its roster.
May 4, 2015, 10:19 AM EDT
“The guy who was getting ready to dive on the top board was laughing at me.”
May 3, 2015, 10:32 PM EDT
Bolt was seen at the stadium but sat out as an injury precaution.
May 3, 2015, 6:19 PM EDT
It’s the first World title for the Americans on home ice.
May 3, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
They had been together for nearly three years.
May 3, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Both teams crushed their first four opponents to reach this final rematch.
May 2, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT
Also, Allyson Felix was involved in a collision.
May 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It’s a rematch of the 2013 World Championship final.
May 1, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
The U.S. has dominated opponents so far, but the medal round figures to provide tougher tests.
May 1, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Rhode could become the first Olympian to win medals on five continents.
- Patrick Chan’s return about more than elusive Olympic gold medal 1
- Tiger Woods: Olympics ‘very important’ as he attempts climb to Rio 2016 2
- Warren Weir calls Ryan Bailey ‘a little nobody’ after Usain Bolt taunt 5
- U.S. blanks Canada for gold at IPC World Sled Hockey Championship 0
- Lindsey Vonn, Tiger Woods announce breakup 7
- U.S. holds off Usain Bolt at World Relays (video) 3
- Kim Rhode still No. 1 after difficult pregnancy, gun change on road to history in Rio 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)