Dec 15, 2013, 8:31 AM EDT
Mikaela Shiffrin failed to finish the first run and Tina Maze and Julia Mancuso posted their best finishes of the season, while France’s Tessa Worley won a World Cup giant slalom in St. Moritz, Switzerland, on Sunday.
Worley, the reigning world giant slalom champion, prevailed in a two-run time of 2 minutes, 7.62 seconds.
“It feels really awesome because the beginning of the season wasn’t great for me in GS,” Worley said on Eurosport 2. “The snow was so good that you just wanted to go really far on your edges. Sometimes, it was a bit tricky with all those bumps and everything. You needed to be very focused on tactics.”
Swede Jessica Lindell-Vikarby was second, .37 behind after winning the Beaver Creek, Colo., giant slalom two weeks ago.
Maze took third, beating her chest five times after crossing the finish, matching her best finish this season. Maze had the greatest World Cup season in history last year.
Mancuso, the 2006 Olympic giant slalom champion, was 12th in the Swiss Alps, her best finish in nine races this season.
Shiffrin, the world’s best slalom skier, did not finish her first run after taking second in the Beaver Creek giant slalom.
“It was perfect snow really,” Shiffrin said, according to The Associated Press. “Running [bib] No. 1, I was loving every second of it until I fell.
“There is always a reason for falling so I will go back and figure it out and hopefully not do it again.”
Swiss Lara Gut skied out in the first run but kept an overall World Cup lead over Germany’s Maria Hoefl-Riesch.
The women’s Alpine skiing World Cup continues with a slalom in Courchevel, France, on Tuesday.
“I guess that’s the bright side of going out today,” Shiffrin told the AP. “Now we’ll get to Courchevel sooner.”
St. Moritz Giant Slalom
1. Tessa Worley (FRA) 2:07.62
2. Jessica Lindell-Vikarby (SWE) 2:07.99
3. Tina Maze (SLO) 2:08.41
4. Kathrin Zettel (AUT) 2:09.32
5. Anemone Marmottan (FRA) 2:09.45
6. Maria Pietilae-Holmner (SWE) 2:09.45
7. Nadia Fanchini (ITA) 2:09.56
8. Anna Fenninger (AUT) 2:09.70
9. Francesca Marsaglia (ITA) 2:09.93
10. Kajsa Kling (SWE) 2:09.96
12. Julia Mancuso (USA) 2:10.21
23. Megan McJames (USA) 2:10.69
Jul 27, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
Kerri Walsh Jennings notched a milestone victory.
Jul 27, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Search and rescue crews were on the lookout for Jared Pikus and his three children.
Jul 27, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Kerri Walsh Jennings can hit another career milestone.
Jul 26, 2014, 5:24 PM EDT
U.S. Olympic medalists will face Spanish or Brazilian pair Sunday on NBC.
Jul 26, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Three-time Olympic champion Kerri Walsh Jennings in biggest tournament of 2014 in U.S.
Jul 26, 2014, 10:17 AM EDT
Bolt will make a rare appearance in the heats of a 4x100m relay at Commonwealth Games.
Jul 26, 2014, 9:02 AM EDT
Beijing gold medalist slated for first bout in August.
Jul 25, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
USOC met with representatives from four finalist cities this week.
Jul 25, 2014, 3:47 PM EDT
Bahrain runner listed with 1996 birthday may have been born in 1990.
Jul 25, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
A step forward as skateboarding seeks Olympic inclusion.
Jul 25, 2014, 11:36 AM EDT
Brit can make Olympic history on the track in 2016.
Jul 25, 2014, 10:07 AM EDT
Cain emerged from being boxed in to beat Kenyans.
Jul 24, 2014, 4:57 PM EDT
How it impacts the U.S. and potential Olympic history for Missy Franklin.
Jul 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
U.S. pair is top seed at biggest tournament in the U.S. this year.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
Moment of silence also held.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Lingering illness keeps Olympic, World champion from competing.
Jul 24, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
Australian field hockey player’s photo goes viral.
Jul 23, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
Hopes to create a “robotic revolution.”
Jul 23, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Brazil has never won more than 17 medals at an Olympics.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington D.C. in the running.
- U.S. teams sweep World Series of Beach Volleyball (video) 0
- UPDATE: Noelle Pikus-Pace’s brother and his children found in Idaho 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross make WSOBV final 0
- Usain Bolt arrives in Glasgow, says he’s injury free 0
- Queen photobombs Commonwealth Games athlete selfie 0
- Brazil eyes 27 to 30 medals at Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt not happy with Tyson Gay’s reduced ban 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)