Dec 14, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Ted Ligety went out in the first run of a World Cup giant slalom for the first time in nearly five years. Bode Miller didn’t fare any better.
The top two Americans were absent from the second and final run in Val d’Isere, France, on Saturday. Reigning World Cup overall champion Marcel Hirscher won in 2 minutes, 17.21 seconds, his 20th career World Cup victory. France’s Thomas Lanara was second, followed by Germany’s Stefan Luitz.
Ligety, the first racer to go in the opening run, went down on his hip near the bottom of the course to snap a streak of four straight World Cup giant slalom wins and 10 straight podium finishes.
“It’s been a few years. But I’ve had a bunch of races where second runs I went out,” Ligety said, according to The Associated Press. “It’s not ideal. It’s the kind of hill where anything can really happen, because it’s such a tough and rough and bumpy hill.”
Val d’Isere has not been kind to the world’s best GS skier. Ligety has two top 10s in five career giant slaloms there.
“It’s always super, super bumpy and miserable to ski so I wasn’t surprised by that at all,” Ligety said, according to the AP. “You just have to fight. Just a little bit (of) bad luck on my part today.”
Ligety and Miller went one-two in Sunday’s giant slalom in Beaver Creek, Colo. It marked Miller’s first World Cup giant slalom podium in nearly seven years. Miller, 36, also missed all of last season after undergoing knee surgery.
Ligety, Miller and World Cup overall leader Aksel Lund Svindal all failed to finish the first run.
The men’s Alpine skiing World Cup continues with a slalom Sunday in Val d’Isere.
Val d’Isere Giant Slalom
1. Marcel Hirscher (AUT) 2:17.21
2. Thomas Fanara (FRA) 2:17.97
3. Stefan Luitz (GER) 2:18.30
4. Alexis Pinturault (FRA) 2:18.39
5. Roberto Nani (ITA) 2:18.53
6. Luca De Aliprandini (ITA) 2:18.68
7. Matts Olsson (SWE) 2:18.74
8. Manfred Moelgg (ITA) 2:19.16
9. Henrik Kristoffersen (NOR) 2:19.23
10. Fritz Dopfer (GER) 2:19.35
Oct 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
How top Americans, Austrian going for history will be affected this World Cup season.
Oct 17, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion won’t be competing, though.
Oct 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
Top U.S. skaters are incorporating new rule into their programs this season.
Oct 17, 2014, 9:41 AM EDT
Runner faces up to 15 years in prison.
Oct 17, 2014, 6:48 AM EDT
Gatlin’s inclusion on previous 10-man nomination list drew criticism.
Oct 16, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Olympic silver medalist has an interesting post-skeleton bucket list.
Oct 16, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Biles recalls bee tale, talks of specific vault upgrade, uneven bars hatred.
Oct 16, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT
Three-time Olympic medalist previously said he was taking a break.
Oct 15, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Biles talks about the bee and what’s next.
Oct 15, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Erik Nieman, 15, flew from Arkansas to Charlotte for a special training session.
Oct 15, 2014, 10:12 AM EDT
U.S. champion makes her Grand Prix season debut at Skate America next week.
Oct 14, 2014, 1:06 PM EDT
Zoeggeler made history with his sixth medal in Sochi.
Oct 14, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
Olympic champions won’t consider competitive future until the spring.
Oct 14, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
Canadian Olympic goalie returns to Columbus Cottonmouths. Season starts Oct. 24.
Oct 14, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
Lightning coach: “If [my daughters] look at this and are like, ‘You know what, I’d love to play hockey,’ then it’s paying off.”
Oct 14, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Three-time Olympian needed ankle surgery, according to the AP.
Oct 14, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
Gebrselassie continues to become more confident that barrier will be broken.
Oct 14, 2014, 8:59 AM EDT
A fourth Olympics is a possibility for the eight-time Winter X Games champion.
Oct 14, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
First Japanese man to win Olympic medal, World Championship.
Oct 13, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
Four-time U.S. champion went back on retirement plans with specific goal in mind.
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired 0
- Simone Biles still buzzing after World Championships whirlwind 0
- Gracie Gold calls audible, adds lyrics for post-Olympic season 0
- Meryl Davis, Charlie White look to uncertain future in ice dancing 0
- U.S. women’s volleyball wins breakthrough World Championship (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)