Dec 14, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Ted Ligety went out in the first run of a World Cup giant slalom for the first time in nearly five years. Bode Miller didn’t fare any better.
The top two Americans were absent from the second and final run in Val d’Isere, France, on Saturday. Reigning World Cup overall champion Marcel Hirscher won in 2 minutes, 17.21 seconds, his 20th career World Cup victory. France’s Thomas Lanara was second, followed by Germany’s Stefan Luitz.
Ligety, the first racer to go in the opening run, went down on his hip near the bottom of the course to snap a streak of four straight World Cup giant slalom wins and 10 straight podium finishes.
“It’s been a few years. But I’ve had a bunch of races where second runs I went out,” Ligety said, according to The Associated Press. “It’s not ideal. It’s the kind of hill where anything can really happen, because it’s such a tough and rough and bumpy hill.”
Val d’Isere has not been kind to the world’s best GS skier. Ligety has two top 10s in five career giant slaloms there.
“It’s always super, super bumpy and miserable to ski so I wasn’t surprised by that at all,” Ligety said, according to the AP. “You just have to fight. Just a little bit (of) bad luck on my part today.”
Ligety and Miller went one-two in Sunday’s giant slalom in Beaver Creek, Colo. It marked Miller’s first World Cup giant slalom podium in nearly seven years. Miller, 36, also missed all of last season after undergoing knee surgery.
Ligety, Miller and World Cup overall leader Aksel Lund Svindal all failed to finish the first run.
The men’s Alpine skiing World Cup continues with a slalom Sunday in Val d’Isere.
Val d’Isere Giant Slalom
1. Marcel Hirscher (AUT) 2:17.21
2. Thomas Fanara (FRA) 2:17.97
3. Stefan Luitz (GER) 2:18.30
4. Alexis Pinturault (FRA) 2:18.39
5. Roberto Nani (ITA) 2:18.53
6. Luca De Aliprandini (ITA) 2:18.68
7. Matts Olsson (SWE) 2:18.74
8. Manfred Moelgg (ITA) 2:19.16
9. Henrik Kristoffersen (NOR) 2:19.23
10. Fritz Dopfer (GER) 2:19.35
Oct 25, 2014, 4:02 PM EDT
Two Russians lead the way.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Miller, 37, had documented back problems in the offseason.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT
Olympic slalom champion and World Cup overall champion have matching times.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
Machida can become first repeat Skate America men’s winner since 2001.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Austrian eyes history, while Ted Ligety, Bode Miller look to fill resume holes.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:42 AM EDT
New rule allows women to compete in four-man bobsled this year.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT
Sochi disappointment gave Davis a deeper appreciation for past success going into post-Olympic season.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT
Felix came back from torn hamstring to post the fastest 200m time since the London Olympics.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
Several U.S. Olympians dot the field in Grand Prix series opener.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
Pistorius is banned from competing during his sentence, even if not in jail, by Paralympic and South African Olympic Committees.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
Expect to see more of Mikaela Shiffrin and Lindsey Vonn than last year, but neither appears a threat to the world’s best overall skier.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:49 AM EDT
Kosovo, which gained independence from Serbia in 2008, could field an Olympic delegation for the first time in 2016.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
Gardner’s Olympic medals were sold last year.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
Olympic ski slopestyle champion also needed rabies shots after dog bite.
Oct 22, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
Kosovo has never competed at the Olympics as an independent nation.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
Vincenzo Nibali, Chris Froome, Alberto Contador have mixed opinions.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
Team will make its season debut with Skate America this weekend.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Zubkov, 40, had already said he wouldn’t compete this season.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
Tarmoh was part of the infamous tie at the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
Kosovo has yet to field a delegation at the Olympics.
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins her first World Cup giant slalom in Soelden tie (video) 0
- Alpine skiing men’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski preview Skate America 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ agent seeks prison meeting to discuss running future 1
- Alpine skiing women’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski, Terry Gannon named NBC’s lead figure skating announcers 0
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 4
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)