Dec 14, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Ted Ligety went out in the first run of a World Cup giant slalom for the first time in nearly five years. Bode Miller didn’t fare any better.
The top two Americans were absent from the second and final run in Val d’Isere, France, on Saturday. Reigning World Cup overall champion Marcel Hirscher won in 2 minutes, 17.21 seconds, his 20th career World Cup victory. France’s Thomas Lanara was second, followed by Germany’s Stefan Luitz.
Ligety, the first racer to go in the opening run, went down on his hip near the bottom of the course to snap a streak of four straight World Cup giant slalom wins and 10 straight podium finishes.
“It’s been a few years. But I’ve had a bunch of races where second runs I went out,” Ligety said, according to The Associated Press. “It’s not ideal. It’s the kind of hill where anything can really happen, because it’s such a tough and rough and bumpy hill.”
Val d’Isere has not been kind to the world’s best GS skier. Ligety has two top 10s in five career giant slaloms there.
“It’s always super, super bumpy and miserable to ski so I wasn’t surprised by that at all,” Ligety said, according to the AP. “You just have to fight. Just a little bit (of) bad luck on my part today.”
Ligety and Miller went one-two in Sunday’s giant slalom in Beaver Creek, Colo. It marked Miller’s first World Cup giant slalom podium in nearly seven years. Miller, 36, also missed all of last season after undergoing knee surgery.
Ligety, Miller and World Cup overall leader Aksel Lund Svindal all failed to finish the first run.
The men’s Alpine skiing World Cup continues with a slalom Sunday in Val d’Isere.
Val d’Isere Giant Slalom
1. Marcel Hirscher (AUT) 2:17.21
2. Thomas Fanara (FRA) 2:17.97
3. Stefan Luitz (GER) 2:18.30
4. Alexis Pinturault (FRA) 2:18.39
5. Roberto Nani (ITA) 2:18.53
6. Luca De Aliprandini (ITA) 2:18.68
7. Matts Olsson (SWE) 2:18.74
8. Manfred Moelgg (ITA) 2:19.16
9. Henrik Kristoffersen (NOR) 2:19.23
10. Fritz Dopfer (GER) 2:19.35
Sep 19, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
Spearmon lost a 2008 Olympic medal due to disqualification and finished fourth in the 2012 Olympic 200m.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT
Komova won Olympic all-around silver behind Gabby Douglas.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:49 AM EDT
There was concern Olympic host nation wouldn’t be able to qualify in hockey.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 AM EDT
Olympic medalist skater could be called in for later hearing.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Three-time Olympian rides into retirement by entering history books.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
Work expected to finish in the first half of 2016.
Sep 18, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
NBC Olympics analyst hands out athlete of the year honors and more.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Russian Olympic champion gave birth to daughter in June.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Can U.S. win second straight team title despite injuries, absences?
Sep 17, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT
Canadian from memorable 2002 Olympic pairs competition to coach NHL players.
Sep 17, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Olympic halfpipe champion is focused on two competitions this season.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
Curling is the first Winter Olympic sport to have a sculpture in the Olympic Museum park.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
World record holder, now 40, could enter two more major marathons.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
Two-time Olympic champion runs five or six times per week.
Sep 17, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion “more poised” for slopestyle success in 2018.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:41 AM EDT
Jones posted she had “flashbacks of the three Olympics and that people constantly tease me about.”
Sep 16, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
More than 7.5 million tickets will be available for the Games.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
German star suffered torn ACL.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
Shuko Uchimura hadn’t competed in some 30 years, according to Japanese report.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:39 AM EDT
Olympic 200m free champion going back to France.
- Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months 0
- Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards 1
- Analyzing the U.S. gymnastics women’s World Championships team 0
- Shaun White ‘more motivated’ to compete than before Sochi 0
- Lolo Jones eliminated from ‘Dancing with the Stars’ 6
- Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps hope to meet for first time before Olympic farewell 0
- What U.S.’ FIBA World Cup title means for Olympics 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)