Dec 14, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Ted Ligety went out in the first run of a World Cup giant slalom for the first time in nearly five years. Bode Miller didn’t fare any better.
The top two Americans were absent from the second and final run in Val d’Isere, France, on Saturday. Reigning World Cup overall champion Marcel Hirscher won in 2 minutes, 17.21 seconds, his 20th career World Cup victory. France’s Thomas Lanara was second, followed by Germany’s Stefan Luitz.
Ligety, the first racer to go in the opening run, went down on his hip near the bottom of the course to snap a streak of four straight World Cup giant slalom wins and 10 straight podium finishes.
“It’s been a few years. But I’ve had a bunch of races where second runs I went out,” Ligety said, according to The Associated Press. “It’s not ideal. It’s the kind of hill where anything can really happen, because it’s such a tough and rough and bumpy hill.”
Val d’Isere has not been kind to the world’s best GS skier. Ligety has two top 10s in five career giant slaloms there.
“It’s always super, super bumpy and miserable to ski so I wasn’t surprised by that at all,” Ligety said, according to the AP. “You just have to fight. Just a little bit (of) bad luck on my part today.”
Ligety and Miller went one-two in Sunday’s giant slalom in Beaver Creek, Colo. It marked Miller’s first World Cup giant slalom podium in nearly seven years. Miller, 36, also missed all of last season after undergoing knee surgery.
Ligety, Miller and World Cup overall leader Aksel Lund Svindal all failed to finish the first run.
The men’s Alpine skiing World Cup continues with a slalom Sunday in Val d’Isere.
Val d’Isere Giant Slalom
1. Marcel Hirscher (AUT) 2:17.21
2. Thomas Fanara (FRA) 2:17.97
3. Stefan Luitz (GER) 2:18.30
4. Alexis Pinturault (FRA) 2:18.39
5. Roberto Nani (ITA) 2:18.53
6. Luca De Aliprandini (ITA) 2:18.68
7. Matts Olsson (SWE) 2:18.74
8. Manfred Moelgg (ITA) 2:19.16
9. Henrik Kristoffersen (NOR) 2:19.23
10. Fritz Dopfer (GER) 2:19.35
Mar 5, 2015, 2:25 PM EST
U.S. mile record holder wants to make the Rio Olympic team in triathlon.
Mar 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
Franklin will likely need at least two Olympics to pass three U.S. women who share the Olympic medals record.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
But the Olympic judo bronze medalist would welcome a fight with Cyborg under certain conditions.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:03 PM EST
Canada hasn’t been that high since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:03 PM EST
A first for the U.S. in 20 years.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:39 AM EST
But a “50-50″ shot at qualifying for the Olympics this summer.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:56 AM EST
France may have to qualify for Rio with a team led by Tony Parker.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:20 PM EST
Previously, Phelps and USA Swimming agreed he would withdraw from the World Championships team due to his DUI arrest.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
The Olympic champion competes next week for the first time since July.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:07 AM EST
How do the versions for Toronto 2015 compare to previous Pan Am Games medals?
Mar 3, 2015, 10:27 AM EST
Even if baseball is re-added to the Olympics, Fukushima might not be a logical choice to host games.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:59 PM EST
Team GB’s men and women were ousted in the 2012 Olympic quarterfinals.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
The Olympic judo bronze medalist is compared to a former dominant heavyweight boxer.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EST
Walsh Jennings also had breakfast with a beach legend in Rio de Janeiro.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:11 AM EST
IOC member and former South Africa Olympic Committee president previously said the nation was readying to bid.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:21 AM EST
Bowe skated with dominance not seen since 2003.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:47 AM EST
Vonn is three away from another World Cup mark.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:44 AM EST
Austrian rival puts on a dominating performance in Garmisch.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:31 AM EST
Vonn will get another chance on Monday.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:05 AM EST
Rousey is undefeated in 11 pro fights since winning Olympic judo bronze in 2008.
- Alan Webb set for first Olympic-sized triathlon test Saturday 0
- Missy Franklin’s dream to become most decorated female swimmer ever 1
- U.S. aerialists, elementary school classmates, sweep World Cup titles 0
- Michael Phelps may be reinstated for World Championships, report says 0
- David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown 1
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)