Dec 14, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Ted Ligety went out in the first run of a World Cup giant slalom for the first time in nearly five years. Bode Miller didn’t fare any better.
The top two Americans were absent from the second and final run in Val d’Isere, France, on Saturday. Reigning World Cup overall champion Marcel Hirscher won in 2 minutes, 17.21 seconds, his 20th career World Cup victory. France’s Thomas Lanara was second, followed by Germany’s Stefan Luitz.
Ligety, the first racer to go in the opening run, went down on his hip near the bottom of the course to snap a streak of four straight World Cup giant slalom wins and 10 straight podium finishes.
“It’s been a few years. But I’ve had a bunch of races where second runs I went out,” Ligety said, according to The Associated Press. “It’s not ideal. It’s the kind of hill where anything can really happen, because it’s such a tough and rough and bumpy hill.”
Val d’Isere has not been kind to the world’s best GS skier. Ligety has two top 10s in five career giant slaloms there.
“It’s always super, super bumpy and miserable to ski so I wasn’t surprised by that at all,” Ligety said, according to the AP. “You just have to fight. Just a little bit (of) bad luck on my part today.”
Ligety and Miller went one-two in Sunday’s giant slalom in Beaver Creek, Colo. It marked Miller’s first World Cup giant slalom podium in nearly seven years. Miller, 36, also missed all of last season after undergoing knee surgery.
Ligety, Miller and World Cup overall leader Aksel Lund Svindal all failed to finish the first run.
The men’s Alpine skiing World Cup continues with a slalom Sunday in Val d’Isere.
Val d’Isere Giant Slalom
1. Marcel Hirscher (AUT) 2:17.21
2. Thomas Fanara (FRA) 2:17.97
3. Stefan Luitz (GER) 2:18.30
4. Alexis Pinturault (FRA) 2:18.39
5. Roberto Nani (ITA) 2:18.53
6. Luca De Aliprandini (ITA) 2:18.68
7. Matts Olsson (SWE) 2:18.74
8. Manfred Moelgg (ITA) 2:19.16
9. Henrik Kristoffersen (NOR) 2:19.23
10. Fritz Dopfer (GER) 2:19.35
Oct 2, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
See video of finish in added time of extra time in Incheon.
Oct 2, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
Believed to be first women’s skater to practice with NHL team.
Oct 2, 2014, 8:18 AM EDT
IOC will choose between Almaty, Kazakhstan, and Beijing after Oslo dropout.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:24 PM EDT
Video of bizarre scene during medal ceremony.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:54 PM EDT
Almaty, Kazakhstan and Beijing are the two remaining finalists.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Marathon world record smasher reportedly already has 2015 plans.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Game will be played in South Korea with more than a gold medal at stake.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT
Trankov’s shoudler injury cited in withdrawing.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT
Olympic team champion trained with her hip and thigh taped Wednesday.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Vonn strapped on skis in Austria, preparing for her World Cup return later this fall.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
Sprinter discusses Usain Bolt, reflects on 2014 and looks ahead to 2015.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT
The 22-time Olympic medalist was pulled over in Maryland overnight.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
U.S.’ previous biggest blowout was 70 points over Senegal.
Sep 30, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Competition for the U.S. begins Saturday.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Summer and Winter Olympian previously said she was all but retired.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
Vancouver downhill champion expected to ski in Austria on Wednesday.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Canadian joins long list of skaters sitting out this season.
Sep 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Hungarian matched her Monday output on Tuesday but lacked top competition.
Sep 30, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Olympic slalom champion also gave an update on her 2014-15 plans.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT
Dennis Kimetto’s record-smashing win in Berlin brings the barrier into closer view.
- IOC will not reopen 2022 Olympic bidding 0
- Oslo withdraws 2022 Olympic bid after ‘no’ vote 0
- Justin Gatlin eyes more 200s after undefeated season 0
- Michael Phelps arrested on DUI charges 3
- Lauryn Williams ‘playing with the idea’ of bobsled this season 1
- Lindsey Vonn set for first skiing in 10 months, named 2016 Youth Olympics ambassador 0
- Talk of a sub-two-hour marathon 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)