Dec 13, 2013, 4:13 PM EDT
Add Matt Antoine to the extensive list of U.S. Olympic medal contenders in sliding sports.
Antoine, 28, bagged his first career World Cup skeleton victory in Lake Placid, N.Y., on Friday. He posted a two-run time of 1 minute, 47.58 seconds, a healthy .63 of a second ahead of Russian Aleksander Tretiakov.
“I’m a little beside myself right now,” Antoine said in the awards area. “This is a great moment for me.”
Latvian Tomass Dukurs was third, .03 ahead of another American, John Daly.
“I was a bit surprised that so crappy runs get on the podium,” Dukurs said.
The tall, lanky Antoine became the first American man to win a World Cup race since Eric Bernotas in January 2010. He worked up to the victory this season with seventh- and third-place finishes in the first two World Cups before Friday.
U.S. Bobsled and Skeleton went three for three in Lake Placid on Friday. Antoine’s win followed victories by Steve Holcomb in two-man bobsled and Noelle Pikus-Pace in women’s skeleton.
The men’s skeleton World Cup continues in Winterberg, Germany, in January.
Lake Placid Men’s Skeleton
1. Matthew Antoine (USA) 1:47.58
2. Aleksander Tretiakov (RUS) 1:48.21
3. Tomass Dukurs (LAT) 1:48.34
4. John Daly (USA) 1:48.37
7. Kyle Tress (USA) 1:48.57
- Usain Bolt wins 100m in Warsaw after Humvee entrance 0
- Katie Ledecky breaks world record, Michael Phelps wins at Pan Pacs 0
- John Orozco’s mom on his mind as he leads P&G Championships 0
- Bond between Gabby Douglas, Simone Biles 0
- Michael Phelps, Missy Franklin 4th in 100 free, win Pan Pacs relay golds 0
- Simone Biles dominates to open P&G Championships 0
- Amy Van Dyken-Rouen stands, walks with assistance for first time since accident (video) 3
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)