Dec 13, 2013, 4:13 PM EDT
Add Matt Antoine to the extensive list of U.S. Olympic medal contenders in sliding sports.
Antoine, 28, bagged his first career World Cup skeleton victory in Lake Placid, N.Y., on Friday. He posted a two-run time of 1 minute, 47.58 seconds, a healthy .63 of a second ahead of Russian Aleksander Tretiakov.
“I’m a little beside myself right now,” Antoine said in the awards area. “This is a great moment for me.”
Latvian Tomass Dukurs was third, .03 ahead of another American, John Daly.
“I was a bit surprised that so crappy runs get on the podium,” Dukurs said.
The tall, lanky Antoine became the first American man to win a World Cup race since Eric Bernotas in January 2010. He worked up to the victory this season with seventh- and third-place finishes in the first two World Cups before Friday.
U.S. Bobsled and Skeleton went three for three in Lake Placid on Friday. Antoine’s win followed victories by Steve Holcomb in two-man bobsled and Noelle Pikus-Pace in women’s skeleton.
The men’s skeleton World Cup continues in Winterberg, Germany, in January.
Lake Placid Men’s Skeleton
1. Matthew Antoine (USA) 1:47.58
2. Aleksander Tretiakov (RUS) 1:48.21
3. Tomass Dukurs (LAT) 1:48.34
4. John Daly (USA) 1:48.37
7. Kyle Tress (USA) 1:48.57
- Rio 2016 Olympics day-by-day events to watch 0
- A recent history of U.S. Olympic gymnastics comebacks 1
- Meryl Davis, Charlie White won’t compete next season 1
- Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman competitive with U.S. teammates in comeback 0
- Javier Fernandez wins upset World Championship; top American fourth 0
- Elizaveta Tuktamysheva wins World Championship; U.S. just misses medals 0
- How to watch Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman’s comeback gymnastics meet 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)