Lance Armstrong says he was ‘singled out’

Dec 12, 2013, 3:08 PM EDT

Lance Armstrong AP

Disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong admitted to being “way too aggressive” in his years of denying doping allegations but said that he was “singled out” for being combative.

Armstrong, who was stripped of his record seven Tour de France titles last year, said he would still dope if he had to do it over again because most of his peers were cheating, too, according to ESPN.com, citing a 9,000-word ESPN the Magazine interview with Joe Lindsey.

Armstrong also received a life ban and was stripped of an Olympic bronze medal. Others who have admitted to doping during their cycling careers have not been stripped of Olympic medals or Tour de France titles.

“I would even say we all knew what everybody was doing, so I knew what my competitors were doing,” Armstrong said of the main contenders to win the Tour. “We [U.S. Postal Service team] were doing less. We were more conservative, and that’s the reason we were never going to be caught.

Armstrong, who said he still had “no credibility,” discussed plenty in the interview, including his January sitdown with Oprah Winfrey, when he confessed to taking performance-enhancing drugs.

“A buddy of mine told me one day, and I think he’s right, and I respect this guy’s opinion, and he said, “Oprah, for the average person, was too much information,'” Armstrong said. “And for the hardcore cycling fan, it wasn’t enough. So you were stuck in the middle where everyone’s pissed.”

Armstrong said he didn’t have any goals in doing the Winfrey interview, that he wanted to answer her questions honestly.

“Leading up to that, I think people thought she would not give a tough interview, not ask hard questions,” Armstrong said. “I thought the first five minutes got her out of that trap.”

Winfrey came under scrutiny for missing chances to ask follow-up questions. Armstrong contended with that.

“If you ask me questions about what I did in 2001 or what the peloton did in 2001, I’m not going to answer your questions,” he said. “If the governing body of the sport decides to have a full, complete and comprehensive effort to try to address and learn and understand everything, then that’s when I’ll answer questions. To Oprah or to you, that’s not the place to answer those questions. You would love it. She would love it. The hardcore cycling fan would love it. But this isn’t the time and place to answer those questions. If the mission is really to address the issue, not singling out individuals, then let’s do that. Let’s do what we stated we were going to do. Because we haven’t done that yet. In that setting, ask the question, I’ll answer the question.”

Armstrong said if he could go back to 1995, when he started using the popular PED Erythropoietin (EPO), he would have made the same decision. Armstrong would go on to win the first of his seven Tour de France titles in 1999, the year after cycling’s Festina doping scandal rocked the prestigious grand tour.

“It could have been Yosemite Sam winning [in 1999] and he would have been asked a lot of questions,” Armstrong told ESPN the Magazine. “And if he’s winning the Tour in 1999, he’s crossing the line [by doping], for sure. I think that person does the same thing I did, to a degree. They say, ‘No, I’m not cheating.’ I don’t know anybody that would have, at some press conference, and Joe Lindsey says, ‘Are you clean?’ and I don’t know anyone who says, ‘Joe, I’m glad you asked me that. And I’m not.'”

Armstrong said he lied during his championship run to defend his sport, which he said was “on life support,” his U.S. Postal Service team and his foundation.

“In a weird way, I had no choice,” he said.

He also said he thought he would still win the record seven titles if the entire Tour de France field did not use performance-enhancing drugs.

“And I think my competitors, my teammates think that,” Armstrong said. “Guys that saw me or us at work would agree, that with or without dope, those results stay the same. So I would love to have had that opportunity. But I didn’t.”

That agrees with what Armstrong’s biggest rival, Jan Ullrich, said in October, that Armstrong should keep his seven Tour titles.

Bradley Wiggins knighted by Queen Elizabeth II

Latest Posts
  1. James Magnussen out of World Swimming Championships

May 23, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT

James Magnussen Getty Images

Nathan Adrian’s biggest rival in the 100m freestyle could still be an Australian.

2. Rulon Gardner on returning to wrestling training, getting his gold medal back

May 22, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT

Rulon Gardner Getty Images

The 2000 Olympic champion continues to struggle with weight loss.

3. Rome mayor wants 2024 Olympic medal ceremonies in Colosseum

May 22, 2015, 9:57 AM EDT

Rome Colosseum Getty Images

“We want to rebuild the arena of the Colosseum so that the athletes can be lifted in like the gladiators in the Roman times.”

4. Olympians recall David Letterman appearances

May 21, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT

David Letterman, Tara Lipinski

Skaters, skiers, gymnasts, track and field athletes and more.

5. Russian Olympic boss sets Rio 2016 medal standings target

May 21, 2015, 9:18 AM EDT

Russia Getty Images

Russia ceded its place as top challenger to the U.S. in recent Olympics.

6. First set of Olympic rings unveiled in Rio de Janeiro

May 20, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT

Rio Olympic rings Getty Images

They were a gift from a previous Olympic host city.

7. Missy Franklin, more Olympians lead most marketable athletes list

May 20, 2015, 3:07 PM EDT

Missy Franklin Getty Images

Usain Bolt dropped on the list and is no longer the top track and field athlete.

8. German amputee keeps rivaling top long jumpers, eyes Olympics

May 20, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT

Markus Rehm Getty Images

Markus Rehm jumped another personal best on Saturday, moving up the list of top active jumpers.

9. David Letterman and the Olympics

May 20, 2015, 1:09 PM EDT

David Letterman Getty Images

Letterman had a special correspondent at the 1994 and 1998 Winter Olympics.

10. Caster Semenya: I can’t stop running because of gender controversy

May 20, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The Olympic silver medalist has been off the elite competition radar for nearly two years.

11. Gwen Jorgensen’s triathlon bike helmet includes Paul Bunyan, Bucky Badger

May 20, 2015, 11:56 AM EDT

Gwen Jorgensen

The World champion explained the origin of her design.

12. Justin Gatlin: ‘All is fine’ with Beijing meet organizers

May 20, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

Gatlin’s agent also called the sprinter “misunderstood.”

13. Roger Bannister’s shoes from 4-minute mile set for auction

May 20, 2015, 8:21 AM EDT

AP AP

A stopwatch used to time Bannister’s feat was also recently auctioned.

14. Emily Seebohm, top rival to Missy Franklin, dislocates knee

May 19, 2015, 12:41 PM EDT

Emily Seebohm Getty Images

Seebohm took silver behind Franklin in 2012 and 2013 but was faster last year.

15. Justin Gatlin ‘kicked out’ of Beijing track meet

May 19, 2015, 7:47 AM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

“They didn’t have any respect for me.”

16. Michael Phelps self-assessment: ‘horrendous,’ ‘garbage’ after winless Charlotte meet

May 18, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

AP AP

The 22-time Olympic medalist finished first or second in zero events at a meet for the first time since the Sydney 2000 Olympics.

17. USA Diving finalizes World Championships roster

May 18, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT

David Boudia Getty Images

David Boudia leads the team, while a four-time Olympian just missed.

18. Mao Asada blogs about returning to figure skating

May 18, 2015, 7:18 AM EDT

Mao Asada Getty Images

The three-time World champion is training again but isn’t definite on competing.