Lance Armstrong says he was ‘singled out’

Dec 12, 2013, 3:08 PM EDT

Lance Armstrong AP

Disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong admitted to being “way too aggressive” in his years of denying doping allegations but said that he was “singled out” for being combative.

Armstrong, who was stripped of his record seven Tour de France titles last year, said he would still dope if he had to do it over again because most of his peers were cheating, too, according to ESPN.com, citing a 9,000-word ESPN the Magazine interview with Joe Lindsey.

Armstrong also received a life ban and was stripped of an Olympic bronze medal. Others who have admitted to doping during their cycling careers have not been stripped of Olympic medals or Tour de France titles.

“I would even say we all knew what everybody was doing, so I knew what my competitors were doing,” Armstrong said of the main contenders to win the Tour. “We [U.S. Postal Service team] were doing less. We were more conservative, and that’s the reason we were never going to be caught.

Armstrong, who said he still had “no credibility,” discussed plenty in the interview, including his January sitdown with Oprah Winfrey, when he confessed to taking performance-enhancing drugs.

“A buddy of mine told me one day, and I think he’s right, and I respect this guy’s opinion, and he said, “Oprah, for the average person, was too much information,'” Armstrong said. “And for the hardcore cycling fan, it wasn’t enough. So you were stuck in the middle where everyone’s pissed.”

Armstrong said he didn’t have any goals in doing the Winfrey interview, that he wanted to answer her questions honestly.

“Leading up to that, I think people thought she would not give a tough interview, not ask hard questions,” Armstrong said. “I thought the first five minutes got her out of that trap.”

Winfrey came under scrutiny for missing chances to ask follow-up questions. Armstrong contended with that.

“If you ask me questions about what I did in 2001 or what the peloton did in 2001, I’m not going to answer your questions,” he said. “If the governing body of the sport decides to have a full, complete and comprehensive effort to try to address and learn and understand everything, then that’s when I’ll answer questions. To Oprah or to you, that’s not the place to answer those questions. You would love it. She would love it. The hardcore cycling fan would love it. But this isn’t the time and place to answer those questions. If the mission is really to address the issue, not singling out individuals, then let’s do that. Let’s do what we stated we were going to do. Because we haven’t done that yet. In that setting, ask the question, I’ll answer the question.”

Armstrong said if he could go back to 1995, when he started using the popular PED Erythropoietin (EPO), he would have made the same decision. Armstrong would go on to win the first of his seven Tour de France titles in 1999, the year after cycling’s Festina doping scandal rocked the prestigious grand tour.

“It could have been Yosemite Sam winning [in 1999] and he would have been asked a lot of questions,” Armstrong told ESPN the Magazine. “And if he’s winning the Tour in 1999, he’s crossing the line [by doping], for sure. I think that person does the same thing I did, to a degree. They say, ‘No, I’m not cheating.’ I don’t know anybody that would have, at some press conference, and Joe Lindsey says, ‘Are you clean?’ and I don’t know anyone who says, ‘Joe, I’m glad you asked me that. And I’m not.'”

Armstrong said he lied during his championship run to defend his sport, which he said was “on life support,” his U.S. Postal Service team and his foundation.

“In a weird way, I had no choice,” he said.

He also said he thought he would still win the record seven titles if the entire Tour de France field did not use performance-enhancing drugs.

“And I think my competitors, my teammates think that,” Armstrong said. “Guys that saw me or us at work would agree, that with or without dope, those results stay the same. So I would love to have had that opportunity. But I didn’t.”

That agrees with what Armstrong’s biggest rival, Jan Ullrich, said in October, that Armstrong should keep his seven Tour titles.

Bradley Wiggins knighted by Queen Elizabeth II

Latest Posts
  1. U.S., Canada women’s hockey teams renew rivalry at World Championships

Mar 27, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT

AP AP

The U.S. has a new former NHL player as head coach, is missing a major Sochi star and hopes to end a losing streak to Canada.

2. How to watch Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman’s comeback gymnastics meet

Mar 27, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT

Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman Getty Images

The Olympic champions are slated to compete for the first time since London 2012 this weekend.

3. Yuzuru Hanyu tops World Championships short program; Jason Brown leads Americans

Mar 27, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT

Yuzuru Hanyu Getty Images

The U.S. men are unlikely to secure three spots for the 2016 World Championships.

4. Madison Chock, Evan Bates take ice dance silver at World Championships

Mar 27, 2015, 9:53 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

A French couple became the youngest World champions in 40 years.

5. U.S. women struggle, trail Russian brilliance after World Championships short program

Mar 26, 2015, 10:14 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva landed a triple Axel in one of the greatest short programs of all time.

6. Canadians win World pairs title; best U.S. finish since 2011

Mar 26, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT

AP AP

The last time Canada won a World title in pairs was before the 2002 judging scandal.

7. U.S. pairs outside top five after World Championships short program

Mar 25, 2015, 9:44 AM EDT

AP AP

A slight improvement could mark the best U.S. pairs finishes since 2002.

8. Usain Bolt to race individually in U.S. for first time since 2008

Mar 25, 2015, 9:13 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Bolt’s last appearance in New York produced his first world record.

9. Madison Chock, Evan Bates top World Championships short dance with personal best

Mar 25, 2015, 8:53 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The Olympians could become the second U.S. ice dance couple to win a World Championship.

10. Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir preview World Championships men’s, pairs events

Mar 24, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT

AP AP

The Olympic and World champion returns to the site of a bloody collision.

11. Boston 2024 calls for statewide referendum for Olympic bid

Mar 24, 2015, 10:11 AM EDT

Boston 2024

Boston will not move forward with an Olympic bid if a majority of state and city residents don’t support it.

12. Watch USA Luge video promoting fastest sport on ice

Mar 24, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT

USA Luge

Olympians Erin Hamlin, Chris Mazdzer star in an inside look at the sport.

13. U.S. would top 2016 Olympic medal standings in virtual projection

Mar 24, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT

Rio 2016

Tuesday marked 500 days out from the Rio Olympic Opening Ceremony.

14. Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir preview World Championships women’s, ice dance events

Mar 23, 2015, 5:50 PM EDT

Ashley Wagner, Gracie Gold, Polina Edmunds Getty Images

Three U.S. women have a shot at the podium, and an American ice dance couple could win gold.

15. Upcoming milestones for Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin

Mar 23, 2015, 2:22 PM EDT

Lindsey Vonn, MIkaela Shiffrin Getty Images

Both skiers may look to branch out next season.

16. Park Tae-hwan, Olympic champion swimmer, banned 18 months

Mar 23, 2015, 1:28 PM EDT

Park Tae-hwan Getty Images

Park tested positive for testosterone on Sept. 3.

17. World Figure Skating Championships schedule

Mar 23, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT

Ashley Wagner Getty Images

Plus, what’s at stake for U.S. skaters in Shanghai.

18. Another world record for 90-plus-year-old relay team (video)

Mar 23, 2015, 11:14 AM EDT

Track and field Masters world record

The oldest competitor at USATF Masters Indoors wants to run a 100m at age 100 at the Penn Relays.

19. Anna Fenninger wins World Cup overall title in tight finish

Mar 22, 2015, 9:56 AM EDT

Anna Fenninger Getty Images

Lindsey Vonn finished ahead of Mikaela Shiffrin.