Dec 11, 2013, 4:09 PM EDT
Lindsey Vonn plans to compete in Val d’Isere, France, on Dec. 21 as her comeback from major knee surgery continues.
The Olympic downhill champion will skip this weekend’s World Cup stop in St. Moritz, Switzerland.
The World Cup stops for a slalom in between St. Moritz and Val d’Isere, but Vonn said in October she didn’t plan on skiing any slalom this season.
She’s also skipping the Dec. 22 giant slalom in Val d’Isere. Vonn said Sunday she may only do one or two more World Cups this season with an eye on making a podium and avoiding long-term damage to a right knee she blew out at the World Championships in February and reinjured in a Nov. 19 training crash.
Vonn said in her return at Lake Louise, Alberta, last weekend she wasn’t sure she would ski any giant slalom this season.
If Vonn doesn’t ski giant slalom at the Olympics, she and Mikaela Shiffrin will likely not ski any Olympic events together. Shiffrin has said she is only doing slalom and giant slalom this season.
Vonn improved each day in frigid Lake Louise last weekend, finishing 40th in a Friday downhill, 11th in a Saturday downhill and fifth in a Sunday super-G.
- World Swimming Championships women’s preview 0
- World Swimming Championships men’s preview 0
- Beijing to host 2022 Winter Olympics; first city to hold Summer and Winter Games 2
- USOC collecting data on polluted Rio Olympic water venues 0
- World Swimming Championships broadcast schedule 0
- Almaty or Beijing? IOC set to choose 2022 Winter Olympic host 2
- Allyson Felix to run 400m at World Championships 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)