Dec 10, 2013, 1:43 PM EDT
Specific areas for protests or demonstrations have been set aside for the Sochi Olympics by Russian Games organizers, the International Olympic Committee said Tuesday.
“People who want to express their opinions or want to demonstrate for or against something,” IOC president Thomas Bach said, according to The Associated Press. “This is a measure we welcome so that everybody can express his or her free opinion.”
Protest zones are standard for the Olympics, an IOC spokesman said.
“This was under discussion with the IOC for quite some time,” Bach said, according to Reuters.
In August, Russian president Vladimir Putin signed a decree banning all “gatherings, rallies, demonstrations, marches and pickets” that are not part of the Olympics or the Paralympics from Jan. 7 to March 21.
In June, a law was passed banning the promotion of non-traditional sexual relations toward minors in Russia.
Jul 24, 2014, 4:57 PM EDT
How it impacts the U.S. and potential Olympic history for Missy Franklin.
Jul 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
U.S. pair is top seed at biggest tournament in the U.S. this year.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
Moment of silence also held.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Lingering illness keeps Olympic, World champion from competing.
Jul 24, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
Australian field hockey player’s photo goes viral.
Jul 23, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
Hopes to create a “robotic revolution.”
Jul 23, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Brazil has never won more than 17 medals at an Olympics.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington D.C. in the running.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
LOCOG acknowledges U.S. firm submitted designs that ended up being part of the cauldron.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
New coach won two Stanley Cups in the 1990s.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Fashion star also created Team GB kits for London 2012.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT
Opening bid much higher than final price for another Olympic basketball medal.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
“It is sending a bad message,” Bolt said.
Jul 22, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
Amarissa, 13, is a former gymnast who suffers from lupus.
Jul 22, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Blake recently had hamstring surgery.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:24 PM EDT
Olympic champion finished his season in Shanghai last week.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
Top sprinters from Jamaica, swimmers from Australia and more gather in Glasgow.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT
U.S. stars would not make the Olympic field if it was determined today.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
NCAA’s current lawsuits may cut funding.
Jul 21, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT
“It’s inconceivable,” Maarten de Jonge said.
- Queen photobombs Commonwealth Games athlete selfie 0
- Brazil eyes 27 to 30 medals at Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt not happy with Tyson Gay’s reduced ban 1
- Gabby Douglas helps girl’s dream come true with Make-A-Wish 0
- Guide to the Commonwealth Games 0
- 90-plus-year-old men set 3 world relay records at USATF Masters 0
- Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics chief quits 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)