Dec 10, 2013, 1:43 PM EST
Specific areas for protests or demonstrations have been set aside for the Sochi Olympics by Russian Games organizers, the International Olympic Committee said Tuesday.
“People who want to express their opinions or want to demonstrate for or against something,” IOC president Thomas Bach said, according to The Associated Press. “This is a measure we welcome so that everybody can express his or her free opinion.”
Protest zones are standard for the Olympics, an IOC spokesman said.
“This was under discussion with the IOC for quite some time,” Bach said, according to Reuters.
In August, Russian president Vladimir Putin signed a decree banning all “gatherings, rallies, demonstrations, marches and pickets” that are not part of the Olympics or the Paralympics from Jan. 7 to March 21.
In June, a law was passed banning the promotion of non-traditional sexual relations toward minors in Russia.
Jan 27, 2015, 4:14 PM EST
Bowie may try to make the World Championships team in three individual events.
Jan 27, 2015, 2:37 PM EST
Once Usain Bolt’s top rival, the Jamaican is returning from a second major injury in as many years.
Jan 26, 2015, 2:41 PM EST
Armstrong touched on many topics in a BBC interview.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:58 AM EST
Could Hingis return to Olympic tennis, 20 years after her only Olympic appearance?
Jan 26, 2015, 8:41 AM EST
Park’s management agency cited “an illegal injection administered by a local doctor.”
Jan 25, 2015, 9:48 PM EST
Brown is the youngest U.S. men’s champion since 2004.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:35 PM EST
Instead, past Winter X Games champions prevailed in Aspen.
Jan 25, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Jason Brown tries to become the youngest U.S. men’s champion since 2004.
Jan 25, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
An inside look at the skier’s comeback from two major knee surgeries.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:36 AM EST
Vonn captured victory No. 64 in St. Moritz, Switzerland.
Jan 24, 2015, 11:50 PM EST
Wagner becomes the oldest women’s champion since Michelle Kwan.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:15 PM EST
Kim outdueled the greatest snowboarder of all time.
Jan 24, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Gracie Gold wants to deny history for Ashley Wagner.
Jan 24, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
Pairs free skate and free dance national titles to be awarded.
Jan 24, 2015, 6:23 AM EST
Vonn missed an opportunity to all but clinch the World Cup season downhill title.
Jan 23, 2015, 11:58 PM EST
Brown is poised to become the youngest U.S. men’s champion in 11 years.
Jan 23, 2015, 3:12 PM EST
Jacobellis has now won 13 gold medals in 18 major championships.
Jan 23, 2015, 9:54 AM EST
Olympic medalists threw out ceremonial first pitches last season.
Jan 23, 2015, 8:44 AM EST
Miller now looks ahead to the World Championships.
Jan 22, 2015, 11:57 PM EST
White had the same finish as he did in Sochi.
- Tori Bowie ‘going after medals’ after breakthrough season 0
- Yohan Blake details ‘dreams’ for 2015 0
- South Korean Olympic swim champ Park Tae-hwan fails drug test 1
- Jason Brown wins first U.S. figure skating title 2
- Lindsey Vonn wins final race before World Championships (video) 0
- Ashley Wagner shatters records for third U.S. figure skating title 3
- Chloe Kim wins Winter X Games halfpipe at age 14 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)