Dec 10, 2013, 1:43 PM EDT
Specific areas for protests or demonstrations have been set aside for the Sochi Olympics by Russian Games organizers, the International Olympic Committee said Tuesday.
“People who want to express their opinions or want to demonstrate for or against something,” IOC president Thomas Bach said, according to The Associated Press. “This is a measure we welcome so that everybody can express his or her free opinion.”
Protest zones are standard for the Olympics, an IOC spokesman said.
“This was under discussion with the IOC for quite some time,” Bach said, according to Reuters.
In August, Russian president Vladimir Putin signed a decree banning all “gatherings, rallies, demonstrations, marches and pickets” that are not part of the Olympics or the Paralympics from Jan. 7 to March 21.
In June, a law was passed banning the promotion of non-traditional sexual relations toward minors in Russia.
Aug 27, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
Chinese basketball star also updates on what he’s been doing in retirement.
Aug 27, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
IOC president sits down with Lewis Johnson at Youth Olympics.
Aug 27, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
How can we apply the results looking ahead to the Rio Olympics?
Aug 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Diamond Races up for grabs, plus Gay vs. Powell in the 100m.
Aug 27, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
Stevenson has unprecedented junior credentials for a U.S. boxer.
Aug 26, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT
Comoros, British Virgin Islands, Romania join together in track and field finale.
Aug 26, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Olympic ice dancing silver medalist tries out non-Olympic sports.
Aug 26, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
German, British, Dutch dressage teams win medals at World Equestrian Games.
Aug 26, 2014, 10:07 AM EDT
Americans complete dominating 13-game run.
Aug 25, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Le Clos won five medals at the 2010 Youth Olympics before shocking the most decorated Olympian ever in London.
Aug 25, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Even his coach doubted him, but Jonathan Horton made good on a December vow.
Aug 25, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT
Mixed-gender, mixed-team relay will include athletes from all track and field events.
Aug 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Men prevailed in the 200m and 800m.
Aug 25, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT
Filipino gymnast was separated from Singapore shooter at age 3.
Aug 24, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
“This was his toughest climb,” his coach said.
Aug 24, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Two-time Olympic medalist left off.
Aug 24, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
Mo Farah breaks a European record; Allyson Felix fails to make 100m final.
Aug 24, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
Bolt has his slowest season since 2007.
Aug 24, 2014, 8:27 AM EDT
Ledecky faster in 1500m free at 17 than Ryan Lochte was at 19 in 2004.
Aug 23, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT
The World all-around champion fell on balance beam and still won easily.
- U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds 0
- Zurich Diamond League final preview 0
- Jonathan Horton boosted by 2008 teammate to successful return 0
- Sam Mikulak rallies for repeat P&G Championships title (video) 0
- Usain Bolt ends his season 2
- Katie Ledecky smashes another world record at Pan Pacs 4
- Simone Biles awes judges, U.S. legend to repeat at P&G Championships 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)