Dec 7, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
U.S. speed skaters bagged two more medals on the penultimate day of the final World Cup before the Sochi Olympics on Saturday.
Shani Davis and Heather Richardson won bronze in the 1000m and 500m, respectively.
The Berlin World Cup concludes with a men’s 500m and 5000m and a women’s 1000m and team pursuit Sunday. It’s the final opportunity for skaters to qualify Olympic quota spots for their countries.
The four-time Olympic medalist Davis saw his three-race 1000m winning streak snapped by South Korean Mo Tae-Bum. Mo, the Olympic and world 500m champion, clocked 1 minute, 9.50 seconds. The Netherlands’ Michael Mulder was second in 1:09.52, then Davis in 1:09.59.
American Joey Mantia, who won his first World Cup race in the 1500m on Friday, followed with his best-ever 1000m result, sixth.
Davis, the two-time Olympic champion in the 1000m, had won the first three World Cup races in the distance this season. The U.S. has qualified the maximum allotment of 1000m skaters for Sochi, four, which will be determined at the U.S. Olympic Trials in three weeks.
The U.S. also qualified the maximum four in the women’s 500m. For the first time this season, South Korean Olympic champion Lee Sang-Hwa did not win. She wasn’t entered simply for rest, according to a Dutch report.
In her absence, Russian Olga Fatkulina prevailed in 37.92, which was .04 better than China’s Wang Beixing. Richardson, the reigning world sprint champion, was third in 38 seconds.
The Olympic medal picture is fairly clear after eight races this season. Lee is an overwhelming favorite. Fatkulina, Wang and Richardson are all in the medal mix, too, along with German veteran Jenny Wolf.
The U.S. looks like it will qualify three spots in the women’s 1500m following the Netherlands’ Ireen Wuest‘s victory Saturday. The three-time reigning world allround champion clocked 1:55.33, beating Poland’s Katarzyna Bachleda-Curus by a comfortable .6. Dutchwoman Lotte van Beek was third, and American Brittany Bowe was sixth.
Wuest passed Bowe as the World Cup leader in the distance after four races and looks like the Sochi gold-medal favorite.
Davis and Mantia joined Jonathan Kuck in the team pursuit and took ninth behind the winning Netherlands. The Dutch have won all three team pursuits this season. The U.S. was second in the first two team events.
Berlin World Cup
Women’s 500m — Race 2
1. Olga Fatkulina (RUS) 37.92
2. Wang Beixing (CHN) 37.96
3. Heather Richardson (USA) 38.00
16. Elli Ochowicz (USA) 38.99
19. Lauren Cholewinski (USA) 39.21
1. Mo Tae-Bum (KOR) 1:09.50
2. Michel Mulder (NED) 1:09.52
3. Shani Davis (USA) 1:09.59
6. Joey Mantia (USA) 1:09.98
12. Jonathan Garcia (USA) 1:10.19
17. Mitchell Whitmore (USA) 1:10.44
19. Trevor Marsicano (USA) 1:10.53
1. Ireen Wuest (NED) 1:55.33
2. Katarzyna Bachleda-Curus (POL) 1:55.93
3. Lotte van Beek (NED) 1:56.28
6. Brittany Bowe (USA) 1:57.03
18. Jilleanne Rookard (USA) 1:59.90
Men’s Team Pursuit
1. Netherlands 3:41.46
2. South Korea 3:41.92
3. Poland 3;43.81
9. USA 3:47.67
Sep 2, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
Olympic champ figure skater yet to make official decision, but shows which way he is leaning.
Sep 2, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
Would he rather race fast cars or cheetahs?
Sep 2, 2014, 7:41 AM EDT
Schild won silver behind Shiffrin in Sochi and is one of her idols.
Sep 1, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Lewis joins staff with two other Olympic sprint medalists.
Sep 1, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Germany is the latest rival to a potential U.S. Olympic bid in 2024.
Sep 1, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Seven from Nigeria, two from Sierra Leone out due to Uzbekistan’s restrictions.
Sep 1, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
Olympic silver medalist swam three days after suffering allergic reaction to jellyfish sting.
Aug 30, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT
American overcame a 69-second deficit, passing 19 women on the 10km run to cap dominating season.
Aug 29, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
Olympic champion cites “medical reasons” hours before weigh-in.
Aug 29, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Statistically, the U.S. might be better off not winning in Spain in the Olympic scope.
Aug 29, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
Olympic champion missed 2013 Worlds after knee surgery.
Aug 29, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
An accountant five years ago, triathlete is dominating after Olympic disappointment.
Aug 28, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Allyson Felix, David Rudisha beaten in first of two Diamond League finals meets.
Aug 28, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Steen and Peder Mondrup completed the Ironman Copenhagen in 15 hours.
Aug 28, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
Olympic Flag handed over to Buenos Aires, host of 2018 Youth Olympics.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
Officials looking for 70,000 people over the Olympics and Paralympics.
Aug 27, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
Chinese basketball star also updates on what he’s been doing in retirement.
Aug 27, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
IOC president sits down with Lewis Johnson at Youth Olympics.
Aug 27, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
How can we apply the results looking ahead to the Rio Olympics?
Aug 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Diamond Races up for grabs, plus Gay vs. Powell in the 100m.
- Evan Lysacek: ‘My career is coming to an end’ 0
- Usain Bolt takes on all questions in India 0
- Haley Anderson wins Pan Pacs open-water 10K by .01 after jellyfish sting, move to Maui 0
- Gwen Jorgensen wins World Championship in triathlon 0
- How the FIBA World Cup impacts the Olympics 0
- Gwen Jorgensen’s glory awaits in Edmonton 0
- Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)