Dec 7, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
U.S. speed skaters bagged two more medals on the penultimate day of the final World Cup before the Sochi Olympics on Saturday.
Shani Davis and Heather Richardson won bronze in the 1000m and 500m, respectively.
The Berlin World Cup concludes with a men’s 500m and 5000m and a women’s 1000m and team pursuit Sunday. It’s the final opportunity for skaters to qualify Olympic quota spots for their countries.
The four-time Olympic medalist Davis saw his three-race 1000m winning streak snapped by South Korean Mo Tae-Bum. Mo, the Olympic and world 500m champion, clocked 1 minute, 9.50 seconds. The Netherlands’ Michael Mulder was second in 1:09.52, then Davis in 1:09.59.
American Joey Mantia, who won his first World Cup race in the 1500m on Friday, followed with his best-ever 1000m result, sixth.
Davis, the two-time Olympic champion in the 1000m, had won the first three World Cup races in the distance this season. The U.S. has qualified the maximum allotment of 1000m skaters for Sochi, four, which will be determined at the U.S. Olympic Trials in three weeks.
The U.S. also qualified the maximum four in the women’s 500m. For the first time this season, South Korean Olympic champion Lee Sang-Hwa did not win. She wasn’t entered simply for rest, according to a Dutch report.
In her absence, Russian Olga Fatkulina prevailed in 37.92, which was .04 better than China’s Wang Beixing. Richardson, the reigning world sprint champion, was third in 38 seconds.
The Olympic medal picture is fairly clear after eight races this season. Lee is an overwhelming favorite. Fatkulina, Wang and Richardson are all in the medal mix, too, along with German veteran Jenny Wolf.
The U.S. looks like it will qualify three spots in the women’s 1500m following the Netherlands’ Ireen Wuest‘s victory Saturday. The three-time reigning world allround champion clocked 1:55.33, beating Poland’s Katarzyna Bachleda-Curus by a comfortable .6. Dutchwoman Lotte van Beek was third, and American Brittany Bowe was sixth.
Wuest passed Bowe as the World Cup leader in the distance after four races and looks like the Sochi gold-medal favorite.
Davis and Mantia joined Jonathan Kuck in the team pursuit and took ninth behind the winning Netherlands. The Dutch have won all three team pursuits this season. The U.S. was second in the first two team events.
Berlin World Cup
Women’s 500m — Race 2
1. Olga Fatkulina (RUS) 37.92
2. Wang Beixing (CHN) 37.96
3. Heather Richardson (USA) 38.00
16. Elli Ochowicz (USA) 38.99
19. Lauren Cholewinski (USA) 39.21
1. Mo Tae-Bum (KOR) 1:09.50
2. Michel Mulder (NED) 1:09.52
3. Shani Davis (USA) 1:09.59
6. Joey Mantia (USA) 1:09.98
12. Jonathan Garcia (USA) 1:10.19
17. Mitchell Whitmore (USA) 1:10.44
19. Trevor Marsicano (USA) 1:10.53
1. Ireen Wuest (NED) 1:55.33
2. Katarzyna Bachleda-Curus (POL) 1:55.93
3. Lotte van Beek (NED) 1:56.28
6. Brittany Bowe (USA) 1:57.03
18. Jilleanne Rookard (USA) 1:59.90
Men’s Team Pursuit
1. Netherlands 3:41.46
2. South Korea 3:41.92
3. Poland 3;43.81
9. USA 3:47.67
Oct 22, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
Olympic ski slopestyle champion also needed rabies shots after dog bite.
Oct 22, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
Kosovo has never competed at the Olympics as an independent nation.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
Vincenzo Nibali, Chris Froome, Alberto Contador have mixed opinions.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
Team will make its season debut with Skate America this weekend.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Zubkov, 40, had already said he wouldn’t compete this season.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
Tarmoh was part of the infamous tie at the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
Kosovo has yet to field a delegation at the Olympics.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
Film documenting Missy Franklin’s lead-up to London debuts next month.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Cejudo pulled out of his original debut Aug. 30.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Eight members of 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team will conduct spring event.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
Red Bull video shows skiers in LED lights at night in Alaska.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Vido Loncar banned for life by Croatian boxing federation.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT
Borre Rognlien’s move unrelated to Oslo’s failed bid and threats, according to reports.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:37 AM EDT
Pistorius would not be allowed to run, even if he is out of jail and under correctional supervision.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:18 AM EDT
Pistorius could serve less than one year in prison.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT
A look back at the greatest head-to-head duel in track and field history.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Olympic champion hasn’t retired from Nordic combined, either.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
“Morning joggers helped us and also guided us to the nearest metro station.”
Oct 20, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
How fast would they have to traverse the Bernabeu to have Olympic 100m final speed?
Oct 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Olympic downhill champion told German magazine she has good days and bad days.
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski, Terry Gannon named NBC’s lead figure skating announcers 0
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 3
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals 1
- Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos) 0
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)