Dec 7, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
U.S. speed skaters bagged two more medals on the penultimate day of the final World Cup before the Sochi Olympics on Saturday.
Shani Davis and Heather Richardson won bronze in the 1000m and 500m, respectively.
The Berlin World Cup concludes with a men’s 500m and 5000m and a women’s 1000m and team pursuit Sunday. It’s the final opportunity for skaters to qualify Olympic quota spots for their countries.
The four-time Olympic medalist Davis saw his three-race 1000m winning streak snapped by South Korean Mo Tae-Bum. Mo, the Olympic and world 500m champion, clocked 1 minute, 9.50 seconds. The Netherlands’ Michael Mulder was second in 1:09.52, then Davis in 1:09.59.
American Joey Mantia, who won his first World Cup race in the 1500m on Friday, followed with his best-ever 1000m result, sixth.
Davis, the two-time Olympic champion in the 1000m, had won the first three World Cup races in the distance this season. The U.S. has qualified the maximum allotment of 1000m skaters for Sochi, four, which will be determined at the U.S. Olympic Trials in three weeks.
The U.S. also qualified the maximum four in the women’s 500m. For the first time this season, South Korean Olympic champion Lee Sang-Hwa did not win. She wasn’t entered simply for rest, according to a Dutch report.
In her absence, Russian Olga Fatkulina prevailed in 37.92, which was .04 better than China’s Wang Beixing. Richardson, the reigning world sprint champion, was third in 38 seconds.
The Olympic medal picture is fairly clear after eight races this season. Lee is an overwhelming favorite. Fatkulina, Wang and Richardson are all in the medal mix, too, along with German veteran Jenny Wolf.
The U.S. looks like it will qualify three spots in the women’s 1500m following the Netherlands’ Ireen Wuest‘s victory Saturday. The three-time reigning world allround champion clocked 1:55.33, beating Poland’s Katarzyna Bachleda-Curus by a comfortable .6. Dutchwoman Lotte van Beek was third, and American Brittany Bowe was sixth.
Wuest passed Bowe as the World Cup leader in the distance after four races and looks like the Sochi gold-medal favorite.
Davis and Mantia joined Jonathan Kuck in the team pursuit and took ninth behind the winning Netherlands. The Dutch have won all three team pursuits this season. The U.S. was second in the first two team events.
Berlin World Cup
Women’s 500m — Race 2
1. Olga Fatkulina (RUS) 37.92
2. Wang Beixing (CHN) 37.96
3. Heather Richardson (USA) 38.00
16. Elli Ochowicz (USA) 38.99
19. Lauren Cholewinski (USA) 39.21
1. Mo Tae-Bum (KOR) 1:09.50
2. Michel Mulder (NED) 1:09.52
3. Shani Davis (USA) 1:09.59
6. Joey Mantia (USA) 1:09.98
12. Jonathan Garcia (USA) 1:10.19
17. Mitchell Whitmore (USA) 1:10.44
19. Trevor Marsicano (USA) 1:10.53
1. Ireen Wuest (NED) 1:55.33
2. Katarzyna Bachleda-Curus (POL) 1:55.93
3. Lotte van Beek (NED) 1:56.28
6. Brittany Bowe (USA) 1:57.03
18. Jilleanne Rookard (USA) 1:59.90
Men’s Team Pursuit
1. Netherlands 3:41.46
2. South Korea 3:41.92
3. Poland 3;43.81
9. USA 3:47.67
Aug 29, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
Olympic champion cites “medical reasons” hours before weigh-in.
Aug 29, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Statistically, the U.S. might be better off not winning in Spain in the Olympic scope.
Aug 29, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
Olympic champion missed 2013 Worlds after knee surgery.
Aug 29, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
An accountant five years ago, triathlete is dominating after Olympic disappointment.
Aug 28, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Allyson Felix, David Rudisha beaten in first of two Diamond League finals meets.
Aug 28, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Steen and Peder Mondrup completed the Ironman Copenhagen in 15 hours.
Aug 28, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
Olympic Flag handed over to Buenos Aires, host of 2018 Youth Olympics.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
Officials looking for 70,000 people over the Olympics and Paralympics.
Aug 27, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
Chinese basketball star also updates on what he’s been doing in retirement.
Aug 27, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
IOC president sits down with Lewis Johnson at Youth Olympics.
Aug 27, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
How can we apply the results looking ahead to the Rio Olympics?
Aug 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Diamond Races up for grabs, plus Gay vs. Powell in the 100m.
Aug 27, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
Stevenson has unprecedented junior credentials for a U.S. boxer.
Aug 26, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT
Comoros, British Virgin Islands, Romania join together in track and field finale.
Aug 26, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Olympic ice dancing silver medalist tries out non-Olympic sports.
Aug 26, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
German, British, Dutch dressage teams win medals at World Equestrian Games.
Aug 26, 2014, 10:07 AM EDT
Americans complete dominating 13-game run.
Aug 25, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Le Clos won five medals at the 2010 Youth Olympics before shocking the most decorated Olympian ever in London.
Aug 25, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Even his coach doubted him, but Jonathan Horton made good on a December vow.
Aug 25, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT
Mixed-gender, mixed-team relay will include athletes from all track and field events.
- How the FIBA World Cup impacts the Olympics 0
- Gwen Jorgensen’s glory awaits in Edmonton 0
- Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video) 0
- Youth Olympics wrap with Closing Ceremony, Lionel Messi cameo (photos) 0
- U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds 0
- Zurich Diamond League final preview 0
- Jonathan Horton boosted by 2008 teammate to successful return 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)