Russian man, 101, is oldest Olympic relay torchbearer

Dec 7, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT

Alexander Kaptarenko AP

Aleksander Kaptarenko trained for the Olympic torch relay by carrying a frozen salmon.

Kaptarenko, a 101-year-old table tennis player, became the oldest Olympic relay torchbearer on Saturday, according to R-Sport.

He was born in St. Petersburg, Russia, in 1912 and carried an Olympic torch in the Siberian city of Novosibirsk for 200 meters. Kaptarenko has competed in table tennis for decades, most recently at a European veterans championship last year, according to the report.

How does he stay fit? Here’s what he said, translated by Sochi Olympic organizers:

Three times a week in the morning I go to the Metallurg gym and play table tennis. An hour and a half is enough for me. I sleep about 8 hours a day. I go to bed at 12, and wake up at 6 in the morning. After lunch, I try to sleep for another 1.5-2 hours. Food. For breakfast, I have freshly ground organic coffee with sugar and chicory, and a cheese smoked sausage sandwich. I don’t do vegetarianism. For lunch, I have soup and salad, and like sauerkraut. I have dinner at about 7pm. I drink tea with milk. Before going to bed, I sometimes eat an apple or a banana. I don’t smoke. I began to do that in the army, and even then it was not for long. In my youth, my weight was 64kg, and now it is 68kg. But I was brawny then, and was called “ox”.

The oldest 2012 Olympic relay member was Dinah Gould, who was 100.

The Olympic torch relay will make an unofficial visit to the U.S. Naval Academy on Wednesday (while the official portion still goes through Russia), according to reports.

The Olympic torch relay visited polar bears at a zoo Friday.

It was carried on a snow plow on Tuesday:

source: AP

AP

Camel to carry torch in Sochi Olympic relay

Latest Posts
  1. Guide to the Commonwealth Games

Jul 22, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Getty Images

Top sprinters from Jamaica, swimmers from Australia and more gather in Glasgow.

2. First Olympic golf qualification rankings released

Jul 21, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT

Rory McIlroy AP

U.S. stars would not make the Olympic field if it was determined today.

3. Big 12 commissioner says men’s Olympic sports could be cut

Jul 21, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT

Bob Bowlsby AP

NCAA’s current lawsuits may cut funding.

4. Dutch cyclist cheats death twice, avoids both Malaysian Airlines flights

Jul 21, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT

Maarten de Jonge `

“It’s inconceivable,” Maarten de Jonge said.

5. 90-plus-year-old men set 3 world relay records at USATF Masters

Jul 21, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT

Champion Goldy

Extraordinary men include war veterans, longtime NASA worker, Methodist minister.

6. Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics chief quits

Jul 21, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT

Kim Jin-sun AP

Kim Jin-sun had been the committee’s president since October 2011.

7. Mariel Zagunis wins silver at World Fencing Championships (video)

Jul 18, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT

Mariel Zagunis Getty Images

U.S. Olympic flag bearer returned to the podium after missing medals at 2012 Olympics, 2013 Worlds.

8. Henry Ellard, former NFL All-Pro receiver, competes at USATF Masters

Jul 18, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT

Henry Ellard Getty Images

Ellard triple jumped at 1992 U.S. Olympic Trials.

9. Jesse Owens biopic cast headliners revealed

Jul 17, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT

Jesse Owens AP

Multiple Owens biopics in the works.

10. Lifetime doping bans not legal, WADA president says

Jul 17, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT

Craig Reedie Reuters

But a four-year ban would stand up in court.

11. Olympians, Paralympians at the ESPYs (photos)

Jul 17, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT

Jamie Anderson

Sochi stars and a 12-time Olympic medalist were at Nokia Theater.

12. Monaco Diamond League on world record watch; preview

Jul 17, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT

Absel Kiprop Getty Images

Asbel Kiprop goes after 16-year-old mark in 1500m.

13. South Korea men’s hockey team might not qualify for 2018

Jul 17, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT

South Korea hockey Getty Images

Host countries aren’t assured spots in the Olympics anymore, and South Korea is ranked very low.

14. Paralympic champion Josh Sweeney receives Tillman Award at ESPYs

Jul 17, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

Josh Sweeney AP

Sweeney, a Purple Heart recipient, scored the gold-winning goal in Sochi.

15. Gabby Douglas leaves coach Liang Chow, again

Jul 16, 2014, 8:46 PM EDT

Gabby Douglas Getty Images

Douglas previously said she hoped to return to competition in August.

16. Lindsey Vonn, Roger Federer play tennis in the Alps (photos)

Jul 16, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT

Roger Federer, Lindsey Vonn AP

Friends meet for exhibition two miles above sea level.