Russian man, 101, is oldest Olympic relay torchbearer

Dec 7, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT

Alexander Kaptarenko AP

Aleksander Kaptarenko trained for the Olympic torch relay by carrying a frozen salmon.

Kaptarenko, a 101-year-old table tennis player, became the oldest Olympic relay torchbearer on Saturday, according to R-Sport.

He was born in St. Petersburg, Russia, in 1912 and carried an Olympic torch in the Siberian city of Novosibirsk for 200 meters. Kaptarenko has competed in table tennis for decades, most recently at a European veterans championship last year, according to the report.

How does he stay fit? Here’s what he said, translated by Sochi Olympic organizers:

Three times a week in the morning I go to the Metallurg gym and play table tennis. An hour and a half is enough for me. I sleep about 8 hours a day. I go to bed at 12, and wake up at 6 in the morning. After lunch, I try to sleep for another 1.5-2 hours. Food. For breakfast, I have freshly ground organic coffee with sugar and chicory, and a cheese smoked sausage sandwich. I don’t do vegetarianism. For lunch, I have soup and salad, and like sauerkraut. I have dinner at about 7pm. I drink tea with milk. Before going to bed, I sometimes eat an apple or a banana. I don’t smoke. I began to do that in the army, and even then it was not for long. In my youth, my weight was 64kg, and now it is 68kg. But I was brawny then, and was called “ox”.

The oldest 2012 Olympic relay member was Dinah Gould, who was 100.

The Olympic torch relay will make an unofficial visit to the U.S. Naval Academy on Wednesday (while the official portion still goes through Russia), according to reports.

The Olympic torch relay visited polar bears at a zoo Friday.

It was carried on a snow plow on Tuesday:

source: AP

AP

Camel to carry torch in Sochi Olympic relay

Latest Posts
  1. World Swimming Championships men’s preview

Jul 31, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT

Ryan Lochte Getty Images

Action gets started Sunday in Kazan.

2. USOC collecting data on polluted Rio Olympic water venues

Jul 30, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT

AP AP

A US Sailing official maintained his stance on the Rio water from last year.

3. Which Miracle on Ice item is the toughest for Jim Craig to sell? (video)

Jul 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT

Jim Craig AP

Watch the goalie’s interview on The Dan Patrick Show.

4. British Athletics clears Mo Farah after investigation

Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

AP AP

Farah was to have “blood data, supplements data, everything surrounding his medical treatment” investigated.

5. World Swimming Championships broadcast schedule

Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

NBC, NBC Sports Live Extra and Universal Sports will combine for daily coverage.

6. Almaty or Beijing? IOC set to choose 2022 Winter Olympic host

Jul 30, 2015, 8:08 AM EDT

Sochi Olympics Biathlon AP

Either way, the vote will mark an Olympic first.

7. Allyson Felix to run 400m at World Championships

Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT

AP AP

Felix will be absent from the 200m at Worlds for the first time since 2001.

8. Simone Biles turns pro

Jul 29, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT

AP AP

Biles won’t be eligible to compete collegiately.

9. Abby Wambach ‘planning on playing’ in Rio, ‘still need time to decide’

Jul 29, 2015, 1:53 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

It would be tougher for Wambach to make the Rio Olympic team than the 2015 World Cup team.

10. Markus Rehm, German amputee long jumper, left off World Championships team

Jul 29, 2015, 12:19 PM EDT

AP AP

Rehm has the best long jump by a German this year, but he may have a competitive advantage.

11. Inbee Park criticizes Olympic golf qualifying procedures

Jul 29, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

“If you are in the world’s top 50, you should be able to play in the Olympics.”

12. IOC president: Boston 2024 didn’t deliver on promises to USOC

Jul 29, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT

AP AP

“I gave up following [Boston 2024] because it was pretty confusing.”

13. Russia basketball says it’s suspended by FIBA

Jul 29, 2015, 10:28 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Its Olympic qualifying tournament is in less than two months.

14. Yuna Kim: About 90 percent of my career was hardship

Jul 29, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

AP AP

Watch Kim play badminton with Michelle Kwan.

15. No decision made on Bode Miller’s status, agent says

Jul 29, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Miller said June 15 he could ski a partial 2015-16 season, and a report last week cited Miller saying he would take at least one year off.

16. IOC president confident U.S. will still bid for 2024 Olympics

Jul 28, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT

AP AP

One city’s mayor is open to discussions.