Eddie ‘The Eagle’ Edwards plans to ski jump at age 50

Dec 6, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT

Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards Getty Images

Great Britain’s Eddie “The Eagle” Edwards, who gained infamy for finishing in last place in 1988 Olympic ski jumping events, wants to jump at a World Cup event on New Year’s Day.

Edwards, who turned 50 on Thursday, wants to be a fore-jumper rather than an actual competitor at an event in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany, as part of the celebrated Four Hills Tournament.

“I’m still fit and in pretty good shape, and I wanted to do it before it was too late for me physically,” Edwards said, according to the Gloucestershire Echo. “This will be my last chance to have a go and see if I can still do it.

“I’ve always had that ‘have a go’ spirit. It’s not reckless because I think about the risk and every conceivable thing that could go wrong.

“I am nervous but also quite excited.”

Edwards has not ski jumped in nearly 18 years, according to the BBC.

“My family trust the fact that I wouldn’t be reckless and endanger myself — they trust me to know what I’m doing and to come out of it unscathed and, hopefully, in one piece,” he told the broadcaster.

Takanashi calls Hendrickson ‘icon’ rather than rival

Latest Posts
  1. Boston, Chicago Marathon winner Rita Jeptoo fails drug test

Oct 31, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT

Rita Jeptoo Getty Images

The Kenyan won four straight World Marathon Majors.

2. Neymar will be on Brazil’s Olympic soccer team, coach says

Oct 31, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT

Neymar Getty Images

But Neymar’s status for Rio 2016 is still very much in question.

3. Meb Keflezighi in familiar spot as New York City Marathon underdog

Oct 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT

Meb Keflezighi AP

Keflezighi faces tough odds to win Sunday, just as in Boston.

4. USA Swimming names World Championships roster without Michael Phelps

Oct 30, 2014, 2:23 PM EDT

Ryan Lochte Getty Images

The U.S. roster includes zero men who had the fastest time in the world this year in an Olympic event.

5. Yuna Kim named Pyeongchang 2018 Olympic honorary ambassador

Oct 30, 2014, 8:37 AM EDT

Yuna Kim Getty Images

Figure skating champion joins MLB outfielder, ballerina.

6. Matt Anderson taking break from volleyball due to depression

Oct 29, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT

Matt Anderson

Anderson is the two-time reigning USA Volleyball Player of the Year.

7. Caroline Wozniacki nervous for New York City Marathon, even in her dreams

Oct 29, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT

Caroline Wozniacki Getty Images

Tennis player flew from Singapore to Denmark to New York this week.

8. Fire inside London Olympic Stadium (photos)

Oct 29, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT

Olympic Stadium

Rising black smoke caused brief panic, but the fire was quickly put out.

9. Shani Davis leads U.S. speed skating team for fall World Cups

Oct 29, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT

Shani Davis Getty Images

One of the U.S.’ strongest skaters from last season is not on the team.

10. Paralympic skier Josh Sundquist a foosball player for Halloween

Oct 28, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT

Josh Sundquist

Sundquist was a partially eaten gingerbread man, a leg lamp and a flamingo in recent years.

11. Germany will bid for 2024 Olympics

Oct 28, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT

Germany flag Getty Images

Either Berlin or Hamburg will be chosen in March.

12. Boston 2024 unveils new website, promo video

Oct 28, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT

Boston 2024

Those against Boston hosting an Olympics sent a letter to the USOC.

13. Rio Olympic golf course given deadline to decide on moving 3 holes

Oct 28, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT

Rio Olympic golf course AP

Judge rules in lawsuit over environmental concerns.

14. Dilma Rousseff re-elected as Brazil president; Olympic impact

Oct 27, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT

Dilma Rousseff Getty Images

Rousseff could join a short list of women to declare open an Olympics in two years.