Mikaela Shiffrin says ‘next Lindsey Vonn’ talk unfair to Vonn

Dec 3, 2013, 1:58 PM EST

Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

Showers of praise keep raining on U.S. skier Mikaela Shiffrin, but perhaps comparisons to Lindsey Vonn are not the way to go.

“When they say I’m the next Lindsey Vonn, they are shooing her out the door, and I don’t think that’s fair,” Shiffrin told TODAY.com. “Imagine being her, reading that someone is the next Lindsey Vonn — it’s like saying, ‘Get out of the way, there’s no room for two Lindsey Vonns.’”

Shiffrin, of Vail, Colo., made her first World Cup giant slalom podium in nearby Beaver Creek on Sunday. She’s just starting to get her feet wet in the giant slalom after ascending to the top in slalom last year. Shiffrin won the World Championship in the slalom and led the World Cup standings in the event.

Shiffrin has said she wants to be an all-around skier contending for the overall World Cup title, which Vonn has won four times. It’s well known that Shiffrin and Vonn are different types of skiers — Shiffrin competing in (for now) only technical events, Vonn focusing on speed races.

Vonn is expected to train in Lake Louise, Alberta, this week ahead of World Cup speed races there beginning Friday. The Olympic downhill champion has said she hopes to race at a course nicknamed “Lake Lindsey” for her overwhelming success there over the years.

Shiffrin’s next race is expected to be a giant slalom in St. Moritz, Switzerland, on Dec. 15, if she sticks with her plan of racing only giant slalom and slalom this season.

“[Vonn has] been one of my greatest idols for really long time, and it’s even cooler that she’s one of my teammates,” Shffrin told TODAY.com. “I appreciate who she is and what she’s done for the sport. But she’s not done — she’s not even really close to done. Let her have her success and let me have my own — just call me Mikaela Shiffrin.”

Shiffrin’s admiration of Vonn included getting tongue-tied when Vonn introduced herself at a training session a few days before a race at Spindleruv Mlyn, Czech Republic, in March 2011.

“I was awkward and she must have felt like, ‘Who the heck is this girl?,”‘ Shiffrin told the Denver Post. “But it was really cool. I was like, ‘I just met my hero, oh, my gosh.’

“She said: ‘You can ask me whatever you need. I remember my first time in a World Cup, it was pretty dumbfounding, so if you have any questions, ask me.’ Of course I didn’t. I didn’t want to get in her way, but just the gesture — it sounded like she genuinely meant it.”

Vonn, who is 11 years older than Shiffrin, has said they’ve painted their nails together.

In January 2012, Vonn praised Shiffrin in a blog for the Denver Post.

“She’s a huge talent and she’s got a good head on her shoulders,” Vonn wrote. “To have success at that age, you need the right people around you when you’re growing up, you have to have talent and you need everything to fall into place at the right time.”

Lindsey Vonn delays surgery in hopes of skiing at Sochi Olympics

Latest Posts
  1. Is Simone Biles unbeatable?

Feb 26, 2015, 4:48 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

U.S. Olympic legend said yes. Top U.S. gymnast says no.

2. Elana Meyers Taylor in line for history at bobsled World Championships

Feb 26, 2015, 10:48 AM EST

Elana Meyers Taylor Getty Images

Meanwhile, the Olympic champion is well back in Winterberg.

3. Bernard Lagat cancels farewell tour with Rio in mind

Feb 25, 2015, 3:34 PM EST

AP AP

“Would I really slow down that much that I wouldn’t make the (Olympic) team? I don’t think so.”

4. Duel in the Pool returns to U.S.

Feb 25, 2015, 12:17 PM EST

Duel in the Pool Getty Images

The U.S. is undefeated in six editions of the Ryder Cup-style event.

5. Rio Olympics could have multiple cauldrons

Feb 25, 2015, 10:37 AM EST

Pan American Games cauldron Getty Images

The Opening and Closing ceremonies will be held at a venue separate from the Olympic Stadium for track and field.

6. Former WNBA No. 1 draft pick switches from U.S. to Belarus

Feb 24, 2015, 11:08 AM EST

Lindsey Harding Getty Images

The only NCAA Player of the Year winner since 1997 not to play for the U.S. at a Worlds or Olympics.

7. U.S. cross-country skiers share historic podium at World Championships (video)

Feb 24, 2015, 10:35 AM EST

Jessie Diggins, Caitlin Gregg Getty Images

Olympians nearly double the previous U.S. tally for World Championships medals.

8. Behind the scenes of Miracle on Ice reunion

Feb 24, 2015, 10:30 AM EST

AP AP

Inside the locker room with the players and more.

9. Nastia Liukin adds to history of Olympians on ‘Dancing With the Stars’

Feb 24, 2015, 9:32 AM EST

Nastia Liukin Getty Images

Liukin is the third U.S. Olympic champion gymnast to go on the show.

10. Mikaela Shiffrin wins Maribor slalom, snags World Cup lead in teenage finale (video)

Feb 22, 2015, 8:51 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Shiffrin won her 13th World Cup race as a teen, bettered by only one woman in history.

11. Kyla Ross commits to UCLA

Feb 22, 2015, 8:19 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Ross joins a long line of Olympic women’s gymnasts to choose UCLA.

12. Michael Phelps gets engaged (photos)

Feb 22, 2015, 8:06 AM EST

Michael Phelps

Phelps is expected to return to competition following his suspension in April.

13. ‘Relive the Miracle’ reunion emotional for 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team

Feb 21, 2015, 11:45 PM EST

AP AP

All living members joked and reminisced in the “Relive the Miracle” ceremony at Herb Brooks Arena.

14. Mike Eruzione, Miracle teammates remember Bob Suter, recall 1980 memories

Feb 21, 2015, 4:00 PM EST

AP AP

Look for more on the Miracle on Ice reunion on NBC’s Hockey Day in American coverage on Sunday at noon ET.

15. Lindsey Vonn falls in Maribor giant slalom (video)

Feb 21, 2015, 8:14 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Vonn “looked in pain and limped,” according to The Associated Press.

16. How the Miracle on Ice reunion came together

Feb 20, 2015, 12:39 PM EST

Miracle on Ice AP

All living members of the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team will gather for just the third time in 35 years on Saturday, and the first time in Lake Placid.

17. 1980 U.S. Olympic team members gather for ‘Relive the Miracle’ in Lake Placid

Feb 20, 2015, 12:37 PM EST

AP AP

The event on Saturday night will be bittersweet, Mike Eruzione said.

18. Sarah Hendrickson sixth at ski jumping World Championships

Feb 20, 2015, 12:31 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Hendrickson was defending her 2013 title, following her August 2013 crash and Sochi Olympic comeback.

19. Holley Mangold gets Olympic rings tattoo on her head

Feb 20, 2015, 11:10 AM EST

Holley Mangold

London Olympian is one of the top U.S. weightlifters.