Mikaela Shiffrin says ‘next Lindsey Vonn’ talk unfair to Vonn

Dec 3, 2013, 1:58 PM EDT

Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

Showers of praise keep raining on U.S. skier Mikaela Shiffrin, but perhaps comparisons to Lindsey Vonn are not the way to go.

“When they say I’m the next Lindsey Vonn, they are shooing her out the door, and I don’t think that’s fair,” Shiffrin told TODAY.com. “Imagine being her, reading that someone is the next Lindsey Vonn — it’s like saying, ‘Get out of the way, there’s no room for two Lindsey Vonns.’”

Shiffrin, of Vail, Colo., made her first World Cup giant slalom podium in nearby Beaver Creek on Sunday. She’s just starting to get her feet wet in the giant slalom after ascending to the top in slalom last year. Shiffrin won the World Championship in the slalom and led the World Cup standings in the event.

Shiffrin has said she wants to be an all-around skier contending for the overall World Cup title, which Vonn has won four times. It’s well known that Shiffrin and Vonn are different types of skiers — Shiffrin competing in (for now) only technical events, Vonn focusing on speed races.

Vonn is expected to train in Lake Louise, Alberta, this week ahead of World Cup speed races there beginning Friday. The Olympic downhill champion has said she hopes to race at a course nicknamed “Lake Lindsey” for her overwhelming success there over the years.

Shiffrin’s next race is expected to be a giant slalom in St. Moritz, Switzerland, on Dec. 15, if she sticks with her plan of racing only giant slalom and slalom this season.

“[Vonn has] been one of my greatest idols for really long time, and it’s even cooler that she’s one of my teammates,” Shffrin told TODAY.com. “I appreciate who she is and what she’s done for the sport. But she’s not done — she’s not even really close to done. Let her have her success and let me have my own — just call me Mikaela Shiffrin.”

Shiffrin’s admiration of Vonn included getting tongue-tied when Vonn introduced herself at a training session a few days before a race at Spindleruv Mlyn, Czech Republic, in March 2011.

“I was awkward and she must have felt like, ‘Who the heck is this girl?,”‘ Shiffrin told the Denver Post. “But it was really cool. I was like, ‘I just met my hero, oh, my gosh.’

“She said: ‘You can ask me whatever you need. I remember my first time in a World Cup, it was pretty dumbfounding, so if you have any questions, ask me.’ Of course I didn’t. I didn’t want to get in her way, but just the gesture — it sounded like she genuinely meant it.”

Vonn, who is 11 years older than Shiffrin, has said they’ve painted their nails together.

In January 2012, Vonn praised Shiffrin in a blog for the Denver Post.

“She’s a huge talent and she’s got a good head on her shoulders,” Vonn wrote. “To have success at that age, you need the right people around you when you’re growing up, you have to have talent and you need everything to fall into place at the right time.”

Lindsey Vonn delays surgery in hopes of skiing at Sochi Olympics

Latest Posts
  1. Yuzuru Hanyu (back) pulls out of first event this season

Sep 23, 2014, 9:27 AM EDT

Yuzuru Hanyu Getty Images

Olympic champion’s scheduled Grand Prix events are in November.

2. Sun Yang beats Kosuke Hagino (linked video), Ye Shiwen wins at Asian Games

Sep 23, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT

Sun Yang Getty Images

Chinese Olympic champion evens head to head with Japan’s rising star in Incheon.

3. Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir to sit out season

Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT

Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir Getty Images

Canadians not ruling out return to ice dancing.

4. Noora Raty plays men’s hockey in Finland; Shannon Szabados set to return to Columbus

Sep 22, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT

Noora Raty Getty Images

Raty nearly did something two Canadian Olympic women’s goalies couldn’t do against the men.

5. Skylar Diggins, 2 others cut after Team USA’s first loss since 2011

Sep 22, 2014, 1:41 PM EDT

Skylar Diggins Getty Images

U.S. women must cut one more player before FIBA World Championships.

6. Carolina Kostner called in for doping hearing again Friday

Sep 22, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT

Carolina Kostner Getty Images

Figure skater to be questioned over doping by her ex-boyfriend, Olympic champ race walker.

7. Kosuke Hagino: I’m trying to become like Michael Phelps

Sep 22, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT

Michael Phelps, Kosuke Hagino Getty Images

World’s greatest swimmer on display at Asian Games.

8. Scary crash at World Road Cycling Championships (video)

Sep 22, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT

Anna Van der Breggen Getty Images

Lead cyclist hits fence, trailing cyclist breaks pelvis.

9. Poland wins World Volleyball Championship at home, pandemonium (photos, videos)

Sep 22, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT

World Volleyball Championship Poland Getty Images

Upset of dynastic Brazil sets off bedlam inside arena, outside streets for host nation.

10. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross complete perfect AVP season after wardrobe malfunction

Sep 22, 2014, 7:35 AM EDT

April Ross, Kerri Walsh Jennings Getty Images

Walsh Jennings, Ross played with interesting keys looped through chains Sunday.

11. Oksana Chusovitina, 39, eyes all-around at World Gymnastics Championships

Sep 22, 2014, 7:08 AM EDT

Oksana Chusovitina Getty Images

Uzbekistan gymnast has competed at World Championships since 1991.

12. Australia swim star Grant Hackett returns to training, dismisses Rio

Sep 21, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT

Grant Hackett Getty Images

“I would be 36 for Rio. That’s probably just getting on a bit too much.”

13. Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months

Sep 19, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT

Wallace Spearmon Getty Images

Spearmon lost a 2008 Olympic medal due to disqualification and finished fourth in the 2012 Olympic 200m.

14. Viktoria Komova out of World Gymnastics Championships, report says

Sep 19, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT

Viktoria Komova Getty Images

Komova won Olympic all-around silver behind Gabby Douglas.

15. South Korea hockey teams given spots in 2018 Olympics

Sep 19, 2014, 8:49 AM EDT

South Korea hockey Getty Images

There was concern Olympic host nation wouldn’t be able to qualify in hockey.

16. Carolina Kostner skips hearing in ex-boyfriend’s doping case

Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 AM EDT

Carolina Kostner Getty Images

Olympic medalist skater could be called in for later hearing.

17. Jens Voigt bikes 31.7 miles in 1 hour, breaks record

Sep 18, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT

Jens Voigt Getty Images

Three-time Olympian rides into retirement by entering history books.

18. Rio Olympic Village more than 50 percent complete

Sep 18, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT

Rio Olympic Village

Work expected to finish in the first half of 2016.

Yogging a hit at Youth Olympic Games