Dec 2, 2013, 12:18 PM EDT
Usain Bolt has accomplished pretty much all there is in sprinting, but it’s unlikely he’ll ever beat a cheetah.
As part of “Big Cat Week,” Nat Geo Wild studied what would have happened if a cheetah took part in the 2009 World Championships 100m final, where Bolt set the world record of 9.58 seconds.
Bolt’s time equaled 23 miles per hour (though Nat Geo says 28 mph, which Bolt probably reached or got close to at his peak speed). A cheetah can sprint nearly 70 mph, according to Nat Geo.
In the video, a virtual cheetah is placed between Bolt and Doc Patton. What happens when the gun goes off is predictable. The cheetah zooms past the field, including Bolt, and crosses the finish in 5.95, obliterating the world record.
Nat Geo determined that Bolt would need at least a 40-meter head start to beat the cheetah.
Sep 3, 2015, 4:46 PM EDT
Canadian sprint sensation plans to compete collegiately in 2015-16.
Sep 3, 2015, 3:49 PM EDT
Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, David Rudisha and Wayde van Niekerk were among the Beijing stars in Diamond League action.
Sep 3, 2015, 12:08 PM EDT
The course designer attached a camera to his helmet and traversed the dirt, rocks, going over a bridge and through a tunnel.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:38 AM EDT
The 2016 U.S. Olympic team is now at eight athletes across all sports.
Sep 2, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT
The four-time U.S. champion isn’t retiring yet.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
Some of the names most associated with Los Angeles professional sports teams are Olympians.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:27 AM EDT
One event includes 2015 World champions from three different events.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
“I can hardly imagine that it is possible given the schedule.”
Sep 2, 2015, 9:19 AM EDT
An African nation has never hosted an Olympics.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:11 PM EDT
Budapest, Hamburg, Paris and Rome previously announced bids.
Sep 1, 2015, 1:51 PM EDT
Walsh Jennings and April Ross will have little to no wiggle room in Olympic qualifying next year.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
She could become the second oldest Olympic singles player since the sport returned to the Games in 1988.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:58 AM EDT
A competition will be held to pick a new logo.
Aug 31, 2015, 4:20 PM EDT
Olympic champions came through and potential future Olympic stars broke out.
Aug 31, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT
One world record and many near marks on the track and in the field.
Aug 31, 2015, 12:09 PM EDT
Kidney failure, a Segway and goat blood.
Aug 30, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT
The Nigerian team is led by an NBA veteran.
Aug 30, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
It can’t become official until later this week.
Aug 30, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
“I’m going to cut the goat … and drink the blood.”
Aug 29, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT
Jamaica swept the relays.
- Mixed results for World champions in Zurich 0
- Los Angeles’ ties to the Olympics 1
- Five events to watch at Zurich Diamond League 0
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid is official 1
- Top ten storylines from World Track and Field Championships 0
- USOC, Los Angeles agree to 2024 Olympic bid, reports say 1
- U.S. finishes World Championships with fewest medals since 2003 3
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (62)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)