Diver Tom Daley says he’s dating a man

Dec 2, 2013, 9:19 AM EDT

Tom Daley AP

Diver Tom Daley, one of Great Britain’s most celebrated Olympians, said that he is dating a man.

“One thing I’ve never really felt that comfortable talking about are my relationships,” Daley said in a YouTube video published Monday. “I’ve been dating girls, and I’ve never really had a serious relationship to talk about. And, now I kind of feel ready to talk about my relationships. Come spring, this year, my life changed, massively, when I met someone. They make me feel so happy, so safe, and everything just feels great. Well, that someone is a guy. It did take me by surprise a little bit. It was always in the back of my head that something like that could happen. But it wasn’t until spring this year that something just clicked. It felt right.

“Of course I still fancy girls. But right now, I’m dating a guy, and I couldn’t be happier.”

Daley is the 2009 world champion and 2012 Olympic bronze medalist on the platform. He has 2.4 million Twitter followers, more than any other athlete in a sport whose biggest event is the Olympics, save Usain Bolt.

Daley, 19, said his life has been a bit of a roller coaster the last few years. He lost his dad to cancer at age 40 in 2011 and then won a bronze medal at the London Games as one of the host nation’s biggest stars.

Four-time U.S. Olympic champion diver Greg Louganis is also gay. Australian 2008 Olympic platform champion Matthew Mitcham and two-time 2004 Olympic medalist Matthew Helm have said they are, too.

In April, NBA center Jason Collins became the first active male athlete in a major North American team sport to come out as gay.

“In an ideal world, I wouldn’t be doing this video because it shouldn’t matter,” Daley said. “But, recently, I was misquoted in an interview. It made me feel really angry and frustrated. Emotions that I’ve never felt before when reading something about myself. For me, honesty is something that I really do believe in. I’ve always been honest. I may have been vague in some of my answers, but I’ve always been honest.”

Daley said he’s heading to Houston, Texas, for a training camp through Christmas.

“I’m still Tom,” he said. “I still want to win a gold medal in Rio 2016 for Great Britain. I’m still as motivated as ever to do that.”

Bob Bowman: Nobody has filled Michael Phelps’ void in swimming

Latest Posts
  1. Bill Demong to run New York City Marathon

Oct 20, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT

Bill Demong Getty Images

Olympic champion hasn’t retired from Nordic combined, either.

2. Bangalore half marathon leaders get lost, forced to take train

Oct 20, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT

Bangalore Marathon Getty Images

“Morning joggers helped us and also guided us to the nearest metro station.”

3. Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale have Olympic 100m final speed, Liverpool manager says

Oct 20, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale Getty Images

How fast would they have to traverse the Bernabeu to have Olympic 100m final speed?

4. Lindsey Vonn still struggles with depression

Oct 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

Lindsey Vonn Getty Images

Olympic downhill champion told German magazine she has good days and bad days.

5. Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals

Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Apolo Ohno AP

Ohno said he went into “full warrior mode” in Hawaii.

6. Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos)

Oct 20, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT

ATHLETICS-CHN-MARATHON-BEIJING Getty Images

U.S. Embassy scale had air pollution level at “hazardous.”

7. IOC wants ‘full explanation’ from Russian about ‘Williams brothers’ comments

Oct 20, 2014, 8:37 AM EDT

Shamil Tarpischev Getty Images

Shamil Tarpischev, Russian tennis president, is also a longtime IOC member.

8. Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season

Oct 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

Aksel Lund Svindal Getty Images

How top Americans, Austrian going for history will be affected this World Cup season.

9. Shaun White brings Air & Style event to Rose Bowl

Oct 17, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

Shaun White Getty Images

Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion won’t be competing, though.

10. Michelle Kwan, Sarah Hughes opine on skating to lyrics

Oct 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Michelle Kwan Getty Images

Top U.S. skaters are incorporating new rule into their programs this season.

11. Oscar Pistorius’ sentence expected Tuesday

Oct 17, 2014, 9:41 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Runner faces up to 15 years in prison.

12. Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists

Oct 17, 2014, 6:48 AM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

Gatlin’s inclusion on previous 10-man nomination list drew criticism.

13. Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired

Oct 16, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT

Noelle Pikus-Pace Getty Images

Olympic silver medalist has an interesting post-skeleton bucket list.

14. Simone Biles still buzzing after World Championships whirlwind

Oct 16, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT

Simone Biles Getty Images

Biles recalls bee tale, talks of specific vault upgrade, uneven bars hatred.

15. J.R. Celski not on U.S. short track team for World Cups

Oct 16, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT

J.R. Celski Getty Images

Three-time Olympic medalist previously said he was taking a break.

16. Simone Biles returns home to pack of gymnasts (video)

Oct 15, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT

Simone Biles

Biles talks about the bee and what’s next.

17. Ryan Lochte makes teen swimmer’s wish come true

Oct 15, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT

Ryan Lochte Getty Images

Erik Nieman, 15, flew from Arkansas to Charlotte for a special training session.

18. Gracie Gold calls audible, adds lyrics for post-Olympic season

Oct 15, 2014, 10:12 AM EDT

Gracie Gold Getty Images

U.S. champion makes her Grand Prix season debut at Skate America next week.

19. Armin Zoeggeler retires from luge

Oct 14, 2014, 1:06 PM EDT

Armin Zoeggeler Getty Images

Zoeggeler made history with his sixth medal in Sochi.