Diver Tom Daley says he’s dating a man

Dec 2, 2013, 9:19 AM EST

Tom Daley AP

Diver Tom Daley, one of Great Britain’s most celebrated Olympians, said that he is dating a man.

“One thing I’ve never really felt that comfortable talking about are my relationships,” Daley said in a YouTube video published Monday. “I’ve been dating girls, and I’ve never really had a serious relationship to talk about. And, now I kind of feel ready to talk about my relationships. Come spring, this year, my life changed, massively, when I met someone. They make me feel so happy, so safe, and everything just feels great. Well, that someone is a guy. It did take me by surprise a little bit. It was always in the back of my head that something like that could happen. But it wasn’t until spring this year that something just clicked. It felt right.

“Of course I still fancy girls. But right now, I’m dating a guy, and I couldn’t be happier.”

Daley is the 2009 world champion and 2012 Olympic bronze medalist on the platform. He has 2.4 million Twitter followers, more than any other athlete in a sport whose biggest event is the Olympics, save Usain Bolt.

Daley, 19, said his life has been a bit of a roller coaster the last few years. He lost his dad to cancer at age 40 in 2011 and then won a bronze medal at the London Games as one of the host nation’s biggest stars.

Four-time U.S. Olympic champion diver Greg Louganis is also gay. Australian 2008 Olympic platform champion Matthew Mitcham and two-time 2004 Olympic medalist Matthew Helm have said they are, too.

In April, NBA center Jason Collins became the first active male athlete in a major North American team sport to come out as gay.

“In an ideal world, I wouldn’t be doing this video because it shouldn’t matter,” Daley said. “But, recently, I was misquoted in an interview. It made me feel really angry and frustrated. Emotions that I’ve never felt before when reading something about myself. For me, honesty is something that I really do believe in. I’ve always been honest. I may have been vague in some of my answers, but I’ve always been honest.”

Daley said he’s heading to Houston, Texas, for a training camp through Christmas.

“I’m still Tom,” he said. “I still want to win a gold medal in Rio 2016 for Great Britain. I’m still as motivated as ever to do that.”

Bob Bowman: Nobody has filled Michael Phelps’ void in swimming

Latest Posts
  1. Is Simone Biles unbeatable?

Feb 26, 2015, 4:48 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

U.S. Olympic legend said yes. Top U.S. gymnast says no.

2. Elana Meyers Taylor in line for history at bobsled World Championships

Feb 26, 2015, 10:48 AM EST

Elana Meyers Taylor Getty Images

Meanwhile, the Olympic champion is well back in Winterberg.

3. Bernard Lagat cancels farewell tour with Rio in mind

Feb 25, 2015, 3:34 PM EST

AP AP

“Would I really slow down that much that I wouldn’t make the (Olympic) team? I don’t think so.”

4. Duel in the Pool returns to U.S.

Feb 25, 2015, 12:17 PM EST

Duel in the Pool Getty Images

The U.S. is undefeated in six editions of the Ryder Cup-style event.

5. Rio Olympics could have multiple cauldrons

Feb 25, 2015, 10:37 AM EST

Pan American Games cauldron Getty Images

The Opening and Closing ceremonies will be held at a venue separate from the Olympic Stadium for track and field.

6. Former WNBA No. 1 draft pick switches from U.S. to Belarus

Feb 24, 2015, 11:08 AM EST

Lindsey Harding Getty Images

The only NCAA Player of the Year winner since 1997 not to play for the U.S. at a Worlds or Olympics.

7. U.S. cross-country skiers share historic podium at World Championships (video)

Feb 24, 2015, 10:35 AM EST

Jessie Diggins, Caitlin Gregg Getty Images

Olympians nearly double the previous U.S. tally for World Championships medals.

8. Behind the scenes of Miracle on Ice reunion

Feb 24, 2015, 10:30 AM EST

AP AP

Inside the locker room with the players and more.

9. Nastia Liukin adds to history of Olympians on ‘Dancing With the Stars’

Feb 24, 2015, 9:32 AM EST

Nastia Liukin Getty Images

Liukin is the third U.S. Olympic champion gymnast to go on the show.

10. Mikaela Shiffrin wins Maribor slalom, snags World Cup lead in teenage finale (video)

Feb 22, 2015, 8:51 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Shiffrin won her 13th World Cup race as a teen, bettered by only one woman in history.

11. Kyla Ross commits to UCLA

Feb 22, 2015, 8:19 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Ross joins a long line of Olympic women’s gymnasts to choose UCLA.

12. Michael Phelps gets engaged (photos)

Feb 22, 2015, 8:06 AM EST

Michael Phelps

Phelps is expected to return to competition following his suspension in April.

13. ‘Relive the Miracle’ reunion emotional for 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team

Feb 21, 2015, 11:45 PM EST

AP AP

All living members joked and reminisced in the “Relive the Miracle” ceremony at Herb Brooks Arena.

14. Mike Eruzione, Miracle teammates remember Bob Suter, recall 1980 memories

Feb 21, 2015, 4:00 PM EST

AP AP

Look for more on the Miracle on Ice reunion on NBC’s Hockey Day in American coverage on Sunday at noon ET.

15. Lindsey Vonn falls in Maribor giant slalom (video)

Feb 21, 2015, 8:14 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Vonn “looked in pain and limped,” according to The Associated Press.

16. How the Miracle on Ice reunion came together

Feb 20, 2015, 12:39 PM EST

Miracle on Ice AP

All living members of the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team will gather for just the third time in 35 years on Saturday, and the first time in Lake Placid.

17. 1980 U.S. Olympic team members gather for ‘Relive the Miracle’ in Lake Placid

Feb 20, 2015, 12:37 PM EST

AP AP

The event on Saturday night will be bittersweet, Mike Eruzione said.

18. Sarah Hendrickson sixth at ski jumping World Championships

Feb 20, 2015, 12:31 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Hendrickson was defending her 2013 title, following her August 2013 crash and Sochi Olympic comeback.

19. Holley Mangold gets Olympic rings tattoo on her head

Feb 20, 2015, 11:10 AM EST

Holley Mangold

London Olympian is one of the top U.S. weightlifters.