Diver Tom Daley says he’s dating a man

Dec 2, 2013, 9:19 AM EDT

Tom Daley AP

Diver Tom Daley, one of Great Britain’s most celebrated Olympians, said that he is dating a man.

“One thing I’ve never really felt that comfortable talking about are my relationships,” Daley said in a YouTube video published Monday. “I’ve been dating girls, and I’ve never really had a serious relationship to talk about. And, now I kind of feel ready to talk about my relationships. Come spring, this year, my life changed, massively, when I met someone. They make me feel so happy, so safe, and everything just feels great. Well, that someone is a guy. It did take me by surprise a little bit. It was always in the back of my head that something like that could happen. But it wasn’t until spring this year that something just clicked. It felt right.

“Of course I still fancy girls. But right now, I’m dating a guy, and I couldn’t be happier.”

Daley is the 2009 world champion and 2012 Olympic bronze medalist on the platform. He has 2.4 million Twitter followers, more than any other athlete in a sport whose biggest event is the Olympics, save Usain Bolt.

Daley, 19, said his life has been a bit of a roller coaster the last few years. He lost his dad to cancer at age 40 in 2011 and then won a bronze medal at the London Games as one of the host nation’s biggest stars.

Four-time U.S. Olympic champion diver Greg Louganis is also gay. Australian 2008 Olympic platform champion Matthew Mitcham and two-time 2004 Olympic medalist Matthew Helm have said they are, too.

In April, NBA center Jason Collins became the first active male athlete in a major North American team sport to come out as gay.

“In an ideal world, I wouldn’t be doing this video because it shouldn’t matter,” Daley said. “But, recently, I was misquoted in an interview. It made me feel really angry and frustrated. Emotions that I’ve never felt before when reading something about myself. For me, honesty is something that I really do believe in. I’ve always been honest. I may have been vague in some of my answers, but I’ve always been honest.”

Daley said he’s heading to Houston, Texas, for a training camp through Christmas.

“I’m still Tom,” he said. “I still want to win a gold medal in Rio 2016 for Great Britain. I’m still as motivated as ever to do that.”

Bob Bowman: Nobody has filled Michael Phelps’ void in swimming

Latest Posts
  1. Vitaly Scherbo weighs in on Kohei Uchimura

Apr 20, 2015, 3:14 PM EDT

Vitaly Scherbo Getty Images

“To become one of greatest gymnasts of all time, you have to have a little bit more.”

2. Usain Bolt runs his slowest 100m final ever; Brazil TV simulates Bolt’s dream 100m race

Apr 20, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Getty Images

Bolt picked two sprinters across history he would like to race against.

3. Olympic champion Amaury Leveaux says French swimmers used cocaine

Apr 20, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT

Amaury Leveaux

Leveaux details his claim in an upcoming autobiography.

4. Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte split duels in Mesa

Apr 18, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT

AP AP

Katie Ledecky also flirted with a world record.

5. Boston Marathon preview: Can Meb Keflezighi repeat?

Apr 18, 2015, 10:17 AM EDT

Meb Keflezighi AP

The U.S. appears to have a better shot in the women’s race.

6. Michael Phelps jokingly challenges Katie Ledecky to race

Apr 18, 2015, 9:09 AM EDT

AP AP

Phelps has raced against a record-breaking woman before.

7. Debbie Phelps texted Michael Phelps about Rio 2016 years ago (video)

Apr 17, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT

Debbie Phelps Getty Images

“I’m like, Michael, 2016, Rio, 50 free, 100 free, just a relay.”

8. Michael Phelps, Katie Ledecky tie in 400m freestyle

Apr 17, 2015, 3:06 PM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

The finals are at 9 p.m. ET on Universal Sports.

9. Yevgeny Plushenko to return to figure skating competition

Apr 17, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT

Evgeni Plushenko AP

Plushenko wants to compete in a fifth Olympics in 2018.

10. St. Louis Marathon disqualifies woman who crossed finish line first

Apr 17, 2015, 10:29 AM EDT

St. Louis Marathon

It took organizers about 20 minutes to figure out what happened Sunday.

11. Michael Phelps back with ‘OK’ victory in Mesa

Apr 17, 2015, 8:42 AM EDT

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Phelps outdueled Ryan Lochte, but he was slower than last year.

12. Michael Phelps could be offered World Championships spot by FINA

Apr 16, 2015, 3:16 PM EDT

AP AP

If Phelps is added by FINA, the U.S. might be able to try for podium sweeps at the World Championships.

13. Michael Phelps fastest in first race since August

Apr 16, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT

AP AP

Phelps and Ryan Lochte appear headed for a showdown Thursday night.

14. Andrew Wiggins to play for Canada in Olympic qualifying

Apr 16, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT

Andrew Wiggins Getty Images

Canada has a shot to qualify for its first Olympics since 2000.

15. Aaron Cook, top-ranked taekwondo fighter, switches from Great Britain to Moldova

Apr 16, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

“There is no legitimate case for nationality change,” a British official said.

16. Eugene gets 2021 World Track and Field Championships

Apr 16, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT

Prefontaine Classic Getty Images

See Eugene’s bid video for 2019 that failed to get a taste of what Worlds will be like in the U.S.