Diver Tom Daley says he’s dating a man

Dec 2, 2013, 9:19 AM EDT

Tom Daley AP

Diver Tom Daley, one of Great Britain’s most celebrated Olympians, said that he is dating a man.

“One thing I’ve never really felt that comfortable talking about are my relationships,” Daley said in a YouTube video published Monday. “I’ve been dating girls, and I’ve never really had a serious relationship to talk about. And, now I kind of feel ready to talk about my relationships. Come spring, this year, my life changed, massively, when I met someone. They make me feel so happy, so safe, and everything just feels great. Well, that someone is a guy. It did take me by surprise a little bit. It was always in the back of my head that something like that could happen. But it wasn’t until spring this year that something just clicked. It felt right.

“Of course I still fancy girls. But right now, I’m dating a guy, and I couldn’t be happier.”

Daley is the 2009 world champion and 2012 Olympic bronze medalist on the platform. He has 2.4 million Twitter followers, more than any other athlete in a sport whose biggest event is the Olympics, save Usain Bolt.

Daley, 19, said his life has been a bit of a roller coaster the last few years. He lost his dad to cancer at age 40 in 2011 and then won a bronze medal at the London Games as one of the host nation’s biggest stars.

Four-time U.S. Olympic champion diver Greg Louganis is also gay. Australian 2008 Olympic platform champion Matthew Mitcham and two-time 2004 Olympic medalist Matthew Helm have said they are, too.

In April, NBA center Jason Collins became the first active male athlete in a major North American team sport to come out as gay.

“In an ideal world, I wouldn’t be doing this video because it shouldn’t matter,” Daley said. “But, recently, I was misquoted in an interview. It made me feel really angry and frustrated. Emotions that I’ve never felt before when reading something about myself. For me, honesty is something that I really do believe in. I’ve always been honest. I may have been vague in some of my answers, but I’ve always been honest.”

Daley said he’s heading to Houston, Texas, for a training camp through Christmas.

“I’m still Tom,” he said. “I still want to win a gold medal in Rio 2016 for Great Britain. I’m still as motivated as ever to do that.”

Bob Bowman: Nobody has filled Michael Phelps’ void in swimming

Latest Posts
  1. Another Michael set to make splash at Mesa Grand Prix

Apr 23, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT

Michael Phelps, Michael Andrew Courtesy Tina Andrew

Michael Andrew, 15, turned pro last year and has been drawing comparisons to Michael Phelps.

2. Michael Phelps’ comeback at Mesa Grand Prix competition, broadcast schedules

Apr 23, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

When to watch Michael Phelps’ return to competition.

3. Meb Keflezighi congratulated by President Obama

Apr 22, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT

Meb Keflezighi AP

How Keflezighi spent the morning after his upset victory.

4. Ryan Hall, other U.S. runners wouldn’t help East Africans catch Meb Keflezighi

Apr 22, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT

Ryan Hall, Meb Keflezighi AP

Americans’ tactic played small role in Keflezighi’s victory.

5. Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski added to NBC’s Kentucky Derby coverage

Apr 22, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT

Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski Getty Images

Sochi figure skating analysts will be fashion experts at Churchill Downs.

6. Apolo Ohno plans to do Ironman World Championships

Apr 22, 2014, 10:11 AM EDT

Apolo Anton Ohno AP

Ohno follows NFL wide receiver, celebrity chef in ambitious attempt.

7. Lance Armstrong’s longtime team manager banned 10 years

Apr 22, 2014, 8:21 AM EDT

Johan Bruyneel AP

Johan Bruyneel guided Lance Armstrong’s teams for all seven stripped Tour de France wins.

8. Emotions flow for runners, spectators at Boston Marathon

Apr 21, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT

Boston Strong AP

“I needed it for healing,” one survivor said.

9. Meb Keflezighi stuns to win Boston Marathon (video)

Apr 21, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

Meb Keflezighi AP

First U.S. man to win Boston Marathon since 1983.

10. 2014 Boston Marathon highlights: American Meb Keflezighi, Kenya’s Rita Jeptoo win (VIDEO)

Apr 21, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT

2014 B.A.A. Boston Marathon Getty Images

Meb Keflezighi made history on an emotional day at the 2014 Boston Marathon by becoming the first American man to win the race since 1983. Watch highlights of the 38-year-old Keflezighi’s victory here, courtesy of Universal Sports: Keflezighi reacts to his historic win and the emotion of winning one year after the Boston Marathon bombing,…

11. Rita Jeptoo repeats as Boston Marathon winner in course record

Apr 21, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT

Rita Jeptoo Getty Images

Shalane Flanagan led early but was dropped around 21 miles.

12. Tatyana McFadden wins another Boston Marathon on special day

Apr 21, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT

Tatyana McFadden AP

Paralympic champion prevails one month after winning silver in Sochi.

13. Security heightened early at Boston Marathon

Apr 21, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT

Boston Marathon AP

Double the police presence from last year.

14. Tedy Bruschi, retired NFL player, running Boston Marathon

Apr 21, 2014, 9:38 AM EDT

Tedy Bruschi Getty Images

Former linebacker ran in 2012 and saw the first bomb from a hotel last year.

15. Boston Marathon starts after moment of silence

Apr 21, 2014, 9:07 AM EDT

Boston Strong

Race starts by honoring those lost and those who saved at last year’s race.

16. Boston Marathon finish line web cam available online

Apr 19, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT

Boston Marathon finish line Getty Images

Watch every runner cross the finish line on Monday.

17. Ryan Hall returns to marathon racing in Boston, by way of Ethiopia

Apr 19, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT

Ryan Hall Getty Images

Two-time Olympian hasn’t run a marathon since the London Games.

18. Boston Marathon to move forward with traditional spectacle of a finish

Apr 18, 2014, 9:41 PM EDT

Boston Marathon

All eyes will be on a changed Boylston Street on Monday.

19. Boston Marathon TV, race schedules

Apr 18, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Boston Marathon finish line Getty Images

Universal Sports will have live coverage and is on a free preview nationwide.

20. Boston Marathon men’s preview

Apr 18, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT

Lelisa Desisa AP

Monday’s race figures to come down to two men.

Inside Michael Phelps' comeback