Dec 1, 2013, 7:07 AM EDT
U.S. dominance in the 1000m was prevalent in Astana, Kazakhstan, this weekend.
Heather Richardson and Brittany Bowe were the top two finishers Sunday, one day after Olympic champion Shani Davis took the men’s 1000m.
Richardson, the reigning World Cup champion in the distance, clocked a track record 1 minute, 14.22 seconds to grab her first medal on the final day of competition in the Kazakh capital. Bowe, who won the 1,500m on Saturday, came in .56 of a second behind. Russian Olga Fatkulina, the reigning world champion, took third.
Richardson and Bowe have made the podium in all three World Cup 1,000m races this season. In Astana, they consolidated their results from fast North American ice in Salt Lake City, Utah, and Calgary, Alberta, in November. The conditions in Kazakhstan were closer to what’s expected at the Sochi Olympic oval.
Top Dutch skaters Ireen Wuest and Lotte van Beek sat out the Astana World Cup.
In other action Sunday, Japan’s Keiichiro Nagashima won the second men’s 500m race in 34.69 ahead of South Korean Olympic champion Mo Tae-Bum and Russian Artyom Kuznetsov. Kuznetsov had won the first 500m on Saturday.
American Tucker Fredricks finished sixth and fifth in the 500m races.
Dutch favorite Sven Kramer won the 10,000m.
The speed skating World Cup moves to Berlin later this week.
Astana Day 3
1. Heather Richardson (USA) 1:14.22
2. Brittany Bowe (USA) 1:14.78
3. Olga Fatkulina (RUS) 1:15.18
Men’s 500m — Race 2
1. Keiichiro Nagashima (JPN) 34.69
2. Mo Tae-Bum (KOR) 34.87
3. Artyom Kuznetsov (RUS) 34.92
5. Tucker Fredricks (USA) 35.00
15. Mitchell Whitmore (USA) 35.33
1. Sven Kramer (NED) 13:02.38
2. Alexis Contin (FRA) 13:14.64
3. Patrick Beckert (GER) 13:18.73
6. Jonathan Kuck (USA) 13:23.54
May 27, 2015, 11:51 AM EDT
Walsh Jennings has a history of shoulder problems.
May 27, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT
Uhlaender isn’t finished with her sliding career, though.
May 26, 2015, 2:54 PM EDT
Also, Asafa Powell won a 100m race.
May 26, 2015, 8:13 AM EDT
She may change coaches after the World Championships.
May 23, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Nathan Adrian’s biggest rival in the 100m freestyle could still be an Australian.
May 22, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT
The 2000 Olympic champion continues to struggle with weight loss.
May 22, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT
“We’re not baking cakes.”
May 22, 2015, 9:57 AM EDT
“We want to rebuild the arena of the Colosseum so that the athletes can be lifted in like the gladiators in the Roman times.”
May 22, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT
The U.S. won “Beat the Streets” 9-4.
May 21, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT
Skaters, skiers, gymnasts, track and field athletes and more.
May 21, 2015, 9:18 AM EDT
Russia ceded its place as top challenger to the U.S. in recent Olympics.
May 20, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT
They were a gift from a previous Olympic host city.
May 20, 2015, 3:07 PM EDT
Usain Bolt dropped on the list and is no longer the top track and field athlete.
May 20, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT
Markus Rehm jumped another personal best on Saturday, moving up the list of top active jumpers.
May 20, 2015, 1:09 PM EDT
Letterman had a special correspondent at the 1994 and 1998 Winter Olympics.
May 20, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
The Olympic silver medalist has been off the elite competition radar for nearly two years.
May 20, 2015, 11:56 AM EDT
The World champion explained the origin of her design.
May 20, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Gatlin’s agent also called the sprinter “misunderstood.”
May 20, 2015, 8:21 AM EDT
A stopwatch used to time Bannister’s feat was also recently auctioned.
May 19, 2015, 12:41 PM EDT
Seebohm took silver behind Franklin in 2012 and 2013 but was faster last year.
- Kerri Walsh Jennings injures shoulder, forfeits match 0
- Katie Uhlaender, skeleton World champion, becomes track cyclist 0
- Missy Franklin returns to Colorado, coach Todd Schmitz 0
- Rulon Gardner on returning to wrestling training, getting his gold medal back 1
- David Letterman and the Olympics 0
- Caster Semenya: I can’t stop running because of gender controversy 0
- Roger Bannister’s shoes from 4-minute mile set for auction 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)