Nov 30, 2013, 2:28 PM EDT
American Steve Holcomb‘s Olympic season is off to a perfect start.
The reigning Olympic champion piloted the USA-1 four-man bobsled to victory at the opening World Cup stop in Calgary, Alberta, on Saturday. He also won the two-man competition on Friday night.
On Saturday, Holcomb and push athletes Curt Tomasevicz, Steve Langton and Chris Fogt navigated the track in a two-run time of 1 minute, 48.56 seconds. They beat a German sled piloted by Maximilian Arndt and a Russian sled piloted by Aleksandr Zubkov by .09 of a second.
It’s the first time in seven years that a pilot won both the opening two- and four-man World Cup races. The two-time Olympian Holcomb, 33, had never accomplished the opening double before.
“We’re still fine tuning it,” Holcomb said. “I think we’re only going to get better.”
The other U.S. sleds, piloted by Nick Cunningham and Cory Butner, finished in 12th and 15th place, respectively.
The bobsled World Cup moves to Holcomb’s hometown of Park City, Utah, next week.
1. Steve Holcomb (USA) 1:48.56
2. Maximilian Arndt (GER) 1:48.65
2. Aleksander Zubkov (RUS) 1:48.65
12. Nick Cunnigham (USA) 1:49.22
15. Cory Butner (USA) 1:49.35
Apr 24, 2014, 5:57 PM EDT
Jones explains difficulty of returning to track workouts.
Apr 24, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Phelps is swimming competitively for the first time since the London Olympics.
Apr 24, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
Olympic bronze medalist explains what President Obama told her about luge.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:42 PM EDT
2012 Olympic alternate announces college plans.
Apr 24, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
Boston Marathon winner met Derek Jeter, David Ortiz.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
Lochte said he almost didn’t come back to swimming after knee injury.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Phelps says he gained 30 pounds in retirement but has shed most of it in training.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
Phelps’ contract with Speedo ran out at the end of 2013 after a 12-year run.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Michael Andrew, 15, turned pro last year and has been drawing comparisons to Michael Phelps.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
When to watch Michael Phelps’ return to competition.
Apr 22, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
How Keflezighi spent the morning after his upset victory.
Apr 22, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
Americans’ tactic played small role in Keflezighi’s victory.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
Sochi figure skating analysts will be fashion experts at Churchill Downs.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:11 AM EDT
Ohno follows NFL wide receiver, celebrity chef in ambitious attempt.
Apr 22, 2014, 8:21 AM EDT
Johan Bruyneel guided Lance Armstrong’s teams for all seven stripped Tour de France wins.
Apr 21, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
“I needed it for healing,” one survivor said.
Apr 21, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
First U.S. man to win Boston Marathon since 1983.
Apr 21, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
Meb Keflezighi made history on an emotional day at the 2014 Boston Marathon by becoming the first American man to win the race since 1983. Watch highlights of the 38-year-old Keflezighi’s victory here, courtesy of Universal Sports: Keflezighi reacts to his historic win and the emotion of winning one year after the Boston Marathon bombing,…
Apr 21, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
Shalane Flanagan led early but was dropped around 21 miles.
Apr 21, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
Paralympic champion prevails one month after winning silver in Sochi.
- Lolo Jones sheds weight, returns to track at Drake Relays 0
- Michael Phelps wins his first preliminary race since London Olympics 0
- Michael Phelps ready to start ‘journey’ in comeback meet 0
- Another Michael set to make splash at Mesa Grand Prix 0
- Michael Phelps’ comeback at Mesa Grand Prix competition, broadcast schedules 0
- Ryan Hall, other U.S. runners wouldn’t help East Africans catch Meb Keflezighi 0
- Emotions flow for runners, spectators at Boston Marathon 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (55)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (46)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)