Nov 30, 2013, 2:28 PM EDT
American Steve Holcomb‘s Olympic season is off to a perfect start.
The reigning Olympic champion piloted the USA-1 four-man bobsled to victory at the opening World Cup stop in Calgary, Alberta, on Saturday. He also won the two-man competition on Friday night.
On Saturday, Holcomb and push athletes Curt Tomasevicz, Steve Langton and Chris Fogt navigated the track in a two-run time of 1 minute, 48.56 seconds. They beat a German sled piloted by Maximilian Arndt and a Russian sled piloted by Aleksandr Zubkov by .09 of a second.
It’s the first time in seven years that a pilot won both the opening two- and four-man World Cup races. The two-time Olympian Holcomb, 33, had never accomplished the opening double before.
“We’re still fine tuning it,” Holcomb said. “I think we’re only going to get better.”
The other U.S. sleds, piloted by Nick Cunningham and Cory Butner, finished in 12th and 15th place, respectively.
The bobsled World Cup moves to Holcomb’s hometown of Park City, Utah, next week.
1. Steve Holcomb (USA) 1:48.56
2. Maximilian Arndt (GER) 1:48.65
2. Aleksander Zubkov (RUS) 1:48.65
12. Nick Cunnigham (USA) 1:49.22
15. Cory Butner (USA) 1:49.35
Sep 19, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT
Komova won Olympic all-around silver behind Gabby Douglas.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:49 AM EDT
There was concern Olympic host nation wouldn’t be able to qualify in hockey.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 AM EDT
Olympic medalist skater could be called in for later hearing.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Three-time Olympian rides into retirement by entering history books.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
Work expected to finish in the first half of 2016.
Sep 18, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
NBC Olympics analyst hands out athlete of the year honors and more.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Russian Olympic champion gave birth to daughter in June.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Can U.S. win second straight team title despite injuries, absences?
Sep 17, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT
Canadian from memorable 2002 Olympic pairs competition to coach NHL players.
Sep 17, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Olympic halfpipe champion is focused on two competitions this season.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
Curling is the first Winter Olympic sport to have a sculpture in the Olympic Museum park.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
World record holder, now 40, could enter two more major marathons.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
Two-time Olympic champion runs five or six times per week.
Sep 17, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion “more poised” for slopestyle success in 2018.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:41 AM EDT
Jones posted she had “flashbacks of the three Olympics and that people constantly tease me about.”
Sep 16, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
More than 7.5 million tickets will be available for the Games.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
German star suffered torn ACL.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
Shuko Uchimura hadn’t competed in some 30 years, according to Japanese report.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:39 AM EDT
Olympic 200m free champion going back to France.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
“The city is the Olympic park,” official tells Boston Globe.
- Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards 1
- Analyzing the U.S. gymnastics women’s World Championships team 0
- Shaun White ‘more motivated’ to compete than before Sochi 0
- Lolo Jones eliminated from ‘Dancing with the Stars’ 6
- Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps hope to meet for first time before Olympic farewell 0
- What U.S.’ FIBA World Cup title means for Olympics 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ Nike contract terminated 6
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)