Nov 30, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
Olympic and world champion Kaillie Humphries spoiled a potential U.S. bobsled sweep at the season-opening World Cup in Calgary, Alberta, on Saturday.
The Canadian Humphries won her ninth race in her last 12 World Cup starts, clocking a two-run total of 1 minutes, 52.77 seconds. This came after American Steve Holcomb won the two- and four-man events earlier this weekend.
U.S. Olympic bronze medalist Elana Meyers and Aja Evans were second, .56 of a second behind. Meyers also took second to Humphries at the World Championships in January.
“Kaillie and I train together, and it’s fun having someone to go back and forth with,” Meyers said, according to the U.S. Bobsled and Skeleton Federation. “We went into this year wanting to push each other, and I think we did that today. It was definitely a battle.”
Meyers, a former college softball player, matched her career-best international result as a driver. A U.S. woman hasn’t won a World Cup race since January 2011.
Jamie Greubel and Katie Eberling placed third. It marked Greubel’s second career World Cup podium result.
The U.S. put two women’s sleds on the same World Cup podium for the second time since February 2009.
The third U.S. sled, filled by Jazmine Fenlator and two-time Olympic sprinter Lolo Jones, finished in a tie for 15th place out of 17 total sleds.
It marked Fenlator’s lowest World Cup result in her three seasons as a driver.
The World Cup moves to Park City, Utah, next week.
Calgary Women’s Bobsled
1. Kaillie Humphries/Heather Moyse (CAN) 1:52.77
2. Elana Meyers/Aja Evans (USA) 1:53.33
3. Jamie Greubel/Katie Eberling (USA) 1:53.62
15. Jazmine Fenlator/Lolo Jones (USA) 1:54.67
Oct 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
How top Americans, Austrian going for history will be affected this World Cup season.
Oct 17, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion won’t be competing, though.
Oct 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
Top U.S. skaters are incorporating new rule into their programs this season.
Oct 17, 2014, 9:41 AM EDT
Runner faces up to 15 years in prison.
Oct 17, 2014, 6:48 AM EDT
Gatlin’s inclusion on previous 10-man nomination list drew criticism.
Oct 16, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Olympic silver medalist has an interesting post-skeleton bucket list.
Oct 16, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Biles recalls bee tale, talks of specific vault upgrade, uneven bars hatred.
Oct 16, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT
Three-time Olympic medalist previously said he was taking a break.
Oct 15, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Biles talks about the bee and what’s next.
Oct 15, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Erik Nieman, 15, flew from Arkansas to Charlotte for a special training session.
Oct 15, 2014, 10:12 AM EDT
U.S. champion makes her Grand Prix season debut at Skate America next week.
Oct 14, 2014, 1:06 PM EDT
Zoeggeler made history with his sixth medal in Sochi.
Oct 14, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
Olympic champions won’t consider competitive future until the spring.
Oct 14, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
Canadian Olympic goalie returns to Columbus Cottonmouths. Season starts Oct. 24.
Oct 14, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
Lightning coach: “If [my daughters] look at this and are like, ‘You know what, I’d love to play hockey,’ then it’s paying off.”
Oct 14, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Three-time Olympian needed ankle surgery, according to the AP.
Oct 14, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
Gebrselassie continues to become more confident that barrier will be broken.
Oct 14, 2014, 8:59 AM EDT
A fourth Olympics is a possibility for the eight-time Winter X Games champion.
Oct 14, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
First Japanese man to win Olympic medal, World Championship.
Oct 13, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
Four-time U.S. champion went back on retirement plans with specific goal in mind.
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired 0
- Simone Biles still buzzing after World Championships whirlwind 0
- Gracie Gold calls audible, adds lyrics for post-Olympic season 0
- Meryl Davis, Charlie White look to uncertain future in ice dancing 0
- U.S. women’s volleyball wins breakthrough World Championship (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)