Nov 30, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
Olympic and world champion Kaillie Humphries spoiled a potential U.S. bobsled sweep at the season-opening World Cup in Calgary, Alberta, on Saturday.
The Canadian Humphries won her ninth race in her last 12 World Cup starts, clocking a two-run total of 1 minutes, 52.77 seconds. This came after American Steve Holcomb won the two- and four-man events earlier this weekend.
U.S. Olympic bronze medalist Elana Meyers and Aja Evans were second, .56 of a second behind. Meyers also took second to Humphries at the World Championships in January.
“Kaillie and I train together, and it’s fun having someone to go back and forth with,” Meyers said, according to the U.S. Bobsled and Skeleton Federation. “We went into this year wanting to push each other, and I think we did that today. It was definitely a battle.”
Meyers, a former college softball player, matched her career-best international result as a driver. A U.S. woman hasn’t won a World Cup race since January 2011.
Jamie Greubel and Katie Eberling placed third. It marked Greubel’s second career World Cup podium result.
The U.S. put two women’s sleds on the same World Cup podium for the second time since February 2009.
The third U.S. sled, filled by Jazmine Fenlator and two-time Olympic sprinter Lolo Jones, finished in a tie for 15th place out of 17 total sleds.
It marked Fenlator’s lowest World Cup result in her three seasons as a driver.
The World Cup moves to Park City, Utah, next week.
Calgary Women’s Bobsled
1. Kaillie Humphries/Heather Moyse (CAN) 1:52.77
2. Elana Meyers/Aja Evans (USA) 1:53.33
3. Jamie Greubel/Katie Eberling (USA) 1:53.62
15. Jazmine Fenlator/Lolo Jones (USA) 1:54.67
Jul 23, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
Hopes to create a “robotic revolution.”
Jul 23, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Brazil has never won more than 17 medals at an Olympics.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington D.C. in the running.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
LOCOG acknowledges U.S. firm submitted designs that ended up being part of the cauldron.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
New coach won two Stanley Cups in the 1990s.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Fashion star also created Team GB kits for London 2012.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT
Opening bid much higher than final price for another Olympic basketball medal.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
“It is sending a bad message,” Bolt said.
Jul 22, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
Amarissa, 13, is a former gymnast who suffers from lupus.
Jul 22, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Blake recently had hamstring surgery.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:24 PM EDT
Olympic champion finished his season in Shanghai last week.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
Top sprinters from Jamaica, swimmers from Australia and more gather in Glasgow.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT
U.S. stars would not make the Olympic field if it was determined today.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
NCAA’s current lawsuits may cut funding.
Jul 21, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT
“It’s inconceivable,” Maarten de Jonge said.
Jul 21, 2014, 12:51 PM EDT
NCAA Player of the Year was tournament MVP.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT
Extraordinary men include war veterans, longtime NASA worker, Methodist minister.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT
Kim Jin-sun had been the committee’s president since October 2011.
Jul 18, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
U.S. sprinters shatter personal bests.
Jul 18, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
U.S. Olympic flag bearer returned to the podium after missing medals at 2012 Olympics, 2013 Worlds.
- Brazil eyes 27 to 30 medals at Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt not happy with Tyson Gay’s reduced ban 1
- Gabby Douglas helps girl’s dream come true with Make-A-Wish 0
- Guide to the Commonwealth Games 0
- 90-plus-year-old men set 3 world relay records at USATF Masters 0
- Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics chief quits 0
- Tori Bowie, Justin Gatlin star at Monaco Diamond League meet 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)